Coaches Start-up Gymnastics facility

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Good morning! I am reaching out to talk start-up for a gymnastics facility. We currently have a gymnastics facility where I live in Kansas. The gym is very run down, but continues to have interested people to participate in the facility. I would like to open a new one and basically it would take the prior enrollment over to this new business. I am not interested in buying the old business because they have a lot of back taxes that are usually posted in our community. I am interested in eventually saying I would purchase such equipment that is still in good shape to decrease the amount of new equipment I would need to purchase. I am curious what your current cost for classes are and if you built a new building or found an industrial one to go off of. We are also looking at adding the existing all-star cheerleading to the location to bring in more income. I have put together the start of a business plan, but getting discouraged as I am not sure I could afford rent in the locations that are currently available.

Different country so our fees don't mean much (a lot less than USA prices), but of the five clubs near us only two have built their own building, the rest are in industrial units of some sort. The clubs that built their own building are older clubs (30+ years), so have had lots of time to get themselves sorted. The other three are all much more recent. I know one of them is thinking about a new built, but it is going to take a lot of fundraising first. New buildings cost a lot of money

Most newer gyms in my area seem to start out sharing a facility with something (one with a multi sports complex, one shares with a tennis facility, even one started in a big church rec area). A new building, or full rent of a facility are very pricey.

Owning a gym is and incredible thing. It’s fun and it’s rewarding and you make a difference in kids lives every day.

But it’s expensive. Generally you need a very large facility, with high ceilings and lots of carpark spaces in a tea where lots of families live and near main roads to ensure easy transport to your facility.

Not to mention hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment.

Most gyms start up in a smaller facility and build their way up.

Even with a string existing client base, the initial financial outlay is large.

In our area, it's about $20/sq ft for a lease. Most commercial leases are a minimum of 3 yrs, but more like 5-10 yrs. Tuition is $105 a month for PS and rec classes once a week in our area. Are you buying the old gym's clients? If not, be careful. There are lots of legal things to consider and be on the hook for if trying to steal clients for where you work now. You can get a small business loan but they are very difficult to get for a new business. I tried for almost 15 yrs before I got one.

Hello there! I came to post a question in the forum and noticed this thread, and that it's fairly recent. My hubby and I are about to start a new gym (rec mostly/to start with) and I've learned a lot along the way! I have lots of advice, but most of all I would love to have a pen pal in the same boat (though, we are a month or so from opening so much further along than an idea!... but I remember that phase well!). Feel free to send me a message to connect if you want.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back