Status
Not open for further replies.

gym4lifee

Apr 15, 2008
Massachuesetts
:p Hello everybodyy,
i was wondering if i do enough hours...
1. i'm a prep-op intermediate gymnast
2. i go 9 hours a week (most girls on my team go 6 though)
3.i have had pretty decent scores all year. my highest was a 9.6
do i have enough time in the gym? or should i be working more? i'm only asking because i have recently heard that a lot of other gyms have been going about 20 hours a week, and i'm concerned that i won' be able t do very well against them at competitions...

ta-ta for now! thanks in advance for your help! :D

Did ChalkBucket help you?... help us too.

If you can't help financially... tell a friend about us!

I-Heart-Beam

Sep 9, 2007
Scotland
If you are getting good scores and your coaches are happy I would say you're doing enough. Your coach would tell you if you weren't.

gymkat

Former Gymnast
Judge
Jun 24, 2008
Prep opts in my state are only allowed to practice 2x/week. The girls who practice 20 hours/week are most likely competing USAG.

coachmolly

Coach
Former Gymnast
Jan 18, 2009
VA
Country
USA
I coach some USAG girls that train significantly less than 9 hours/week (like 3-5 hours/week). If you are working hard and efficiently during the hours you are there and doing well at meets, it sounds like 9 hours is just fine. But I know as a gymnast I always envied the gyms that got to train mega hours because I wanted all the time in the gym I could get.

gym4lifee

Apr 15, 2008
Massachuesetts
okay thanks guys! and coachmolly i have always evied those girls too. i was going to talk to the head coach about going more hours if nessicary but i guess 9 is great! thanks so much guys!

hunde2

Nov 5, 2007
I think my daughter went about 9-12 hrs in prep op.Sounds like you are getting great scores with the hours you practice.You don't want to burn yourself out.

Reecee

May 16, 2009
Texas
I am a level 7/8 and I only go 10 hours a week. I still score between 8.9 - 9.5. i think that as long as you work hard and pay attention 9 hours is plenty. We also take no breaks other then water breaks (witch are very fast like 1 min.) so we get more work done then other gym's who take 15 minutes breaks 3-4 times a practice.

Last edited:

T.Gymnastics

May 26, 2009
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
I am a level 7/8 and I only go 10 hours a week. I still score between 8.9 - 9.5. i think that as long as you work hard and pay attention 9 hours is plenty. We also take no breaks other then water breaks (witch are very fast like 1 min.) so we get more work done then other gym's who take 15 minutes breaks 3-4 times a practice.
Hey! im a seven with like 16 or 18 hrs a week and we dont take 15min breaks in the middle of practce! wehave a 2 min water break after each event. but still just stay focused and keep working you'll do fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!