WAG Is my Korbut Flick going too low?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

giphy.gif

GIF HERE if you can't see it

So at my meet, I smacked my leg on the side of the beam doing my Korbut:confused: Anyway, my coach said it was because I was going too low, and not jumping high enough. Well, I got back the orange mat and tried to jump higher. However, my coach is on vacation this week and the substitute coach, while she's a capable coach, hasn't ever coached these. So, I know there are a lot of coaches on here, and I wanted to see what you guys think.

So, is it too low?

Also, happy bonus, my legs are FINALLY straighter and my feet are FINALLY more pointed.

It looks a bit higher than the last .gifs you posted, so that's good. Still however, it seems like you are doing a regular BHS and then sliding down onto your stomach to sit. A Korbut actually goes much more vertically. (At 1:00) You can see that she travels very little distance horizontally, but she gets very high up in the air. To me, your jump into your Korbut (and probably your BHS) seems slower than it has to be. You bend your legs slowly, swing your arms slowly, and then eventually jump. Try to start the fast/aggressive jump as soon as you start bending your legs - quick, quick, quick all the way from bending your legs and swinging your arms down. You could extend more aggressively and more quickly all the way through your legs to get a good push. This will help you develop more power as you work on getting more height.

A good drill for this might be doing a Korbut-type flic with straight arms onto a mat at waist height. But yeah good job, it's already improving a lot! Keep working on regular BHS too - eventually you could do BHS-Korbut, and if you make improvements on your BHS it will translate to your Korbut as well.

It looks a bit higher than the last .gifs you posted, so that's good. Still however, it seems like you are doing a regular BHS and then sliding down onto your stomach to sit. A Korbut actually goes much more vertically.
So I should (as a drill, to make me go shorter) put my feet on the edge of the orange mat (so the beam) and then try to get as close to the end of the mat as possible?
Try to start the fast/aggressive jump as soon as you start bending your legs - quick, quick, quick all the way from bending your legs and swinging your arms down. You could extend more aggressively and more quickly all the way through your legs to get a good push. This will help you develop more power as you work on getting more height.
So like this? (Obviously a korbut, not a BHS, and I know her form is off, but relating to the aggressive part you were referring to?)

But yeah good job, it's already improving a lot! Keep working on regular BHS too - eventually you could do BHS-Korbut, and if you make improvements on your BHS it will translate to your Korbut as well.

Yeah, that's the plan for next year - for some reason I find these less scary than bhs (go figure, right?) But thanks for suggesting it! And thank you for all your help!

In the video you showed, she does a good job of a fast bend-and-jump motion (think of it as one quick motion, not bending your legs...and then jumping) but also she bends too low and drops her chest. Sorry - I don't have a video example at the moment. When you're first learning back handsprings they say "sit down like you're in a chair" - meaning back straight, not leaning forward with your upper body. That's what the girl in the video needs to add to her aggressive jump.

Your drill idea of trying to make it shorter by looking at where you land on the orange mat is a good idea. Make sure you're still working long standing BHS on the floor or beam as well so you can still stretch it out when you need to!

In the video you showed, she does a good job of a fast bend-and-jump motion (think of it as one quick motion, not bending your legs...and then jumping) but also she bends too low and drops her chest. Sorry - I don't have a video example at the moment. When you're first learning back handsprings they say "sit down like you're in a chair" - meaning back straight, not leaning forward with your upper body. That's what the girl in the video needs to add to her aggressive jump.

Your drill idea of trying to make it shorter by looking at where you land on the orange mat is a good idea. Make sure you're still working long standing BHS on the floor or beam as well so you can still stretch it out when you need to!
Thanks so much! I'm glad you reminded me to work them at the same time, too. I probably would've forgotten :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back