MAG Kaz

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
D's coaches are conflicting a bit and it is confusing D right now.

He just started working yurchenkos alot (has done drills for them but is now starting to use the vault). Last night, one coach had him doing drills for a kaz( I think that is what he called it. There were a lot of syllables after that) D said it had a higher dod than a yurchenko. But the other coach says it is a waste of time and goes no where.

Thoughts? D feels caught in the middle, and doesn't do that well. I told him to work both as it will only help to have more than one vault you can do. What do you guys think?? Coaches?

Kaz, as I understand it, is like a tsuk except the twist off is in the same direction as the roundoff onto the table. The DOD for the Yurchenko, like the tsuk, just depends on what you do with the flip. Laid out is higher than tucked or piked, and more twists is higher than fewer. One of our L9s vaults a pretty good Kaz and got into JO vault finals with it.

As with all such things, the first place I look when I just don't get it is Uncle Tim. http://uncletimtalksmensgym.blogspot.com/2012/08/mens-vault-what-h-is-kasamatsu.html

As for what he should do, hopefully some coaches will weigh in! One of my friends with a very good JE guy says Yurchenkos are not really boy vaults, but I note for the record that Sean Melton just won the NCAA vault title with one. A super awesome one, of course!

Yeah..still wondering why one coach things the kas is not worth training....

I'm not sure where he is coming from with the Kaz. If you look at higher level gymnasts, the general trend is front handspring and Kaz skills. I train all my boys on Kaz first as it has a high start value tucked and has less fear issues versus the yurchenko entry.

Maybe D is just misunderstanding...but i don't know. Thanks for the input Flipz...that will help.

Looking ahead for JO/JE level 10, the boys will want to have two vaults from different families. Fast twitch and powerful kids can look at front entries. Most everyone with medium power can do side-entries (Tsuk or Kas) The only difference between Tsuk and Kas is the direction of twist (Kasamatsu is preferred. Also, by definition a Kas is a full twisting side entry vault). Slower kids can do RO entries, however they need to be accurate and consistent. Is is not the vault for "wild" kids. A kid who is consistent AND powerful can do fantastic Yurchenko vaults - see David Senders' Yur - 2x Pike, or Alex Buscaglia's Yur 1/2 - 2/2.

Profmom is correct in that the second phase of the vault determines the score. A stretched Yurchenko is equivalent to a tucked Kas. (layout Kas = Yurchenko layout 1/1) The only reason to shy away from Tuskahara vaults is if the boy is a "wrong way" twister. It is extremely hard to get the multiple twists needed for higher start values with a traditional Tsuk direction. Other than that - work whatever the boy is more comfortable with, and what best fits his "type"

Yes...if he is a Kaz...then BAM!

Kaz is good...so is Yurchenko...Tsuk full is bad

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back