WAG skipping levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ok so i just finished my season of level 5 and i started gymnastics a little later than others, i started when i was around 10/11 in 5th grade and started competing at the beginning of ms doing level 3 in 6th, level 4 in 7th, and level 5 in 8th. so obvi im going to hs next year and i need to be a level 10 in my senior year because my ultimate goal is to do collegiate gymnastics. in order for that i would have to do level 10 in 12th, level 9 in 11th, level 8 in 10th, and fit level 6 and level 7 in 9th. is there a way i can skip 6? ive seen so many answers both online and through my coaches. one of my coaches said yes, if you have your 7 skills we will put you in 7, but my other one said its not possible to skip, youll have to do a 6 comp. but online ive seen both of those answers so im just confused. my thought process is that ive already done 5 and 6 is easier than 5 because no baby giant, no annoying long front pass (front handspring step out x2, cartwheel close, back extension roll), either leap or jump series on beam (which, dont ever have to be a series, they can be isolated apparently??) , and prob a few other minor things. i would assume going 5 to 7 isnt too unreasonable, the only thing id prob struggle with is beam connection and dismount connection (my gym likes to have connected dismounts, all the 7s this past yr had some form of connected dismount ex cartwheel tuck and back walk gainer) but the rest like my back lay on floor, connected front pass, and giants on bars will be easier to get bc ive already worked them and bars and floor are my strong events.
but my main question, can i skip level 6 and go straight to 7?

ok so i just finished my season of level 5 and i started gymnastics a little later than others, i started when i was around 10/11 in 5th grade and started competing at the beginning of ms doing level 3 in 6th, level 4 in 7th, and level 5 in 8th. so obvi im going to hs next year and i need to be a level 10 in my senior year because my ultimate goal is to do collegiate gymnastics. in order for that i would have to do level 10 in 12th, level 9 in 11th, level 8 in 10th, and fit level 6 and level 7 in 9th. is there a way i can skip 6? ive seen so many answers both online and through my coaches. one of my coaches said yes, if you have your 7 skills we will put you in 7, but my other one said its not possible to skip, youll have to do a 6 comp. but online ive seen both of those answers so im just confused. my thought process is that ive already done 5 and 6 is easier than 5 because no baby giant, no annoying long front pass (front handspring step out x2, cartwheel close, back extension roll), either leap or jump series on beam (which, dont ever have to be a series, they can be isolated apparently??) , and prob a few other minor things. i would assume going 5 to 7 isnt too unreasonable, the only thing id prob struggle with is beam connection and dismount connection (my gym likes to have connected dismounts, all the 7s this past yr had some form of connected dismount ex cartwheel tuck and back walk gainer) but the rest like my back lay on floor, connected front pass, and giants on bars will be easier to get bc ive already worked them and bars and floor are my strong events.
but my main question, can i skip level 6 and go straight to 7?
Yes, I would say if your good on bars is the biggest thing. Coaches will want to see strong cast handstands and circling skills most of the time to move to 7 on bars. The floor is always helpful to have too. The beam my question would be so you have a bhs? Does your gym allow the single bhs and a separate series like cartwheel to cartwheel for example? If yes to both of the questions you should definitely be fine, otherwise it’ll take some getting through any fears/blocks and getting some beam skills together. For a series can you do a cartwheel to roundoff or do they strictly only allow a series with a bhs? The dismount of you can back tuck you’ll be fine. A cartwheel back tuck is really easy for most to learn I wouldn’t worry about that too much!

Yes, I would say if your good on bars is the biggest thing. Coaches will want to see strong cast handstands and circling skills most of the time to move to 7 on bars. The floor is always helpful to have too. The beam my question would be so you have a bhs? Does your gym allow the single bhs and a separate series like cartwheel to cartwheel for example? If yes to both of the questions you should definitely be fine, otherwise it’ll take some getting through any fears/blocks and getting some beam skills together. For a series can you do a cartwheel to roundoff or do they strictly only allow a series with a bhs? The dismount of you can back tuck you’ll be fine. A cartwheel back tuck is really easy for most to learn I wouldn’t worry about that too much!
i believe my gym wants us to stick to handspring connections bc my coach is big into progressive things she doesnt like cartwheel cartwheel or cartwheel round off unless u have to for like mental blocks. i currently do not have my handspring but im working for it nd my series my coach wants me to do is front walk bhs bc i competed front walk in 5. im not too concerned for mental blocks bc my beam coach has helped me a lot w mental blocks on her events (beam nd floor) and boosted my confidence a lot this past yr (the 5s, 6s, 7s, n sa at my gym have different coaches from 2-4 nd silver/golds and the coach switch was so beneficial for me nd my other teammates from 4) so im pretty confident i wont have many blocks, itll just be getting the skill. thank you for your answer!!

Level 6 is not required, so you can move from level 5 straight to level 7 if you have the skills to do so. Your coach and gym will decide if they believe you do, of course, but I agree that being strong on bars and floor will be in your favor. My daughter is 14 and just finished her level 7 season. For her and her teammates, getting the giants and clear hips consistent was a little bit of a struggle last summer, but they got there in the end. For them, those were really the skills that seemed to determine whether they competed 6 or 7.

Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back