Coaches Leg Confusion .... What Would You Do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Invisible Duck

Coach
Gymnast
I have a group of girls training level 4.

They have been working round-offs for some time and over the weekend I started to introduce handsprings.

Unfortunately we hit a stumbling block when half the group suddenly told me that they cartwheel and handstand on different legs! I knew one girl (C) did, and I changed her cartwheel leg last year, but she seems to have changed back without me noticing :(

I went through a bunch of skills to see what leg they are using and they have an odd mix of legs going on and I'm trying to decide what I should do.... any ideas or advice? They are about 9/10 if that makes any difference....

Leg Preference.png

Haha just noticed B does use the same leg for handstand and cartwheel, not sure what she was on about! At least that is one less to worry over :)

Sounds like my group of kids. They are just flat out confused. When it comes to doing dance skills with one leg and tumbling skills with another, I tend to let it go. But they are also preparing to compete Xcel, so differences in legs isn't as much of an issue. I do try to get tumbling skills done on the same side. I figure it's easier to fix now than farther down the road when connecting skills becomes an issue.
Personally, I would attempt to change it, at least to getting hs/cw on the same leg and just seeing how it goes.

What? I don't understand how this can happen to multiple kids at this level unless they want to have the problem just to be like the others or something. Anyway, let them do which leg they cartwheel on. I've only had one kid who did a right handstand and left cartwheel in preteam for awhile, but along the way she just switched her handstand to left. I never touched her cartwheel/roundoff.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back