WAG Different swing-half technique?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymnastMomX2

Proud Parent
I thought I had my head wrapped around the difference between a swing-1/2 and a blind, however after a friend sent me her daughters bar routine from this past weekend I realized her daughter and mine (different gyms) have completely different techniques on how they do it and now I'm confused again.

Technique #1 (this is what my daughter does, turning her body first, she also does a blind+front giant that looks the same except hand placement)
- Swing up, leg go of left hand, 1/2 turn body, grab bar with left hand, turn right hand and swing down

Technique #2 (friends swing half, where she flips her hand first)
- Swing up, turn right hand, let go of left hand, 1/2 turn body, grab bar with left hand and swing down

Is there a reason why they would be taught differently? Any difference in value for level 9/10? (I don't think so?)

I did search before posting this and found this old thread about swing halfs and blinds https://chalkbucket.com/forums/threads/giant-half-blind-change.66708/ but it didn't quite answer my question.

Technique #2 is probably just a swing to handstand pirouette instead of a swing 1/2. Like when a gymnast does a kip cast handstand pirouette.

Basically... a blind or regular swing 1/2 is just a reverse pirouette.

In this video... the first way could be done out of a giant to handstand instead of a kip cast handstand. I think that is what you are looking at as technique #2.

Thanks for clarifying, I’m pretty sure you’re right and the friend is just doing a pirouette but swinging into it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back