Long Hand Pullovers?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At my gym, we have 4 {or sometimes 5} stations when we go to bars:

1. Uneven bars, coaches spot anything we need to work on.

2. Uneven bars, we work mainly on these skills: Pullover, back hip circle, squat on, jump to high, tap swings.

3. High bar, we work on tap swings usually, or we have conditioning {such as chin-ups and leg lifts}.

4. Low bar, we work on perfecting skills we already have/try skills we almost have.

5. High bar over pit, we usually don't use this bar but if we do we do our Level 5 dismounts.

Well, at Station #1, anybody who has their squat on and can jump to high by themselves shall be spotted on long-hand pullovers. So, I get spotted on long-hand pullovers, and so do a few other girls.

Well, last gymnastics class, I did some long-hand pullovers at Station #1, with two coaches spotting me, but I made it over the bar. I had only been doing these for about 4 or 5 classes.

So I go Station #2 and the coaches told me and the others who have been working on long-hand pullovers to try our long-hand pullovers by ourselves!

We don't know if they were joking, or if they really meant it. But if they really meant it, it is safe to let us just try it by ourselves? I have a good strong almost horizontal tap swing, but I don't know if I could do the long-hand pullover by myself without getting hurt.

I guess my question is, IF we were to not let go of the bar {why would we anyway?}, and we DIDN'T make it into front support, would it be possible for us to get hurt? Or is it okay to let us attempt it by ourselves?

Thanks!

P.S. None of us attempted it by ourselves. xP

If you feel safer trying the long hang pullover by yourself in the pit do it there first! I am a gymnast and they are not that scary by yourself! Even if you don't get over while attempting it still hold on to the bar! My coaches always told me let your hips lead while I was learning to do a long hang pullover and it helped! Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back