WAG Long practice and hunger

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Search for gluten free oats, they do exist.

People with gluten intolerance are often intolerant to the protein in oats as well ~ even without the gluten contamination. I am just beginning to learn all about this...

Sent from my AT100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Yummy is all i can say!
If we omit the wheat germ and the flax (i will admit to being a dimbo and not knowing where to buy and what it tastes like!)
Will it be okay?

Yes. You can omit them. For the record, flax is safe floor gluten intolerance. Walmart has it in their hot cereal section and in their vitamin section.

We freeze ours so that they are still cold when dd has them midway through practice. Also prevents some of the snacking at home since they don't quite taste the same frozen...

Just make sure you put them in the fridge overnight before eating. The texture is amazing after they chill and then you can put them in a lunch bag and they are fine.

I make these a lot and they're great! The ingredients are super-flexible. Another idea for keeping them from sticking to each other (or to your fingers) is to roll them in wheat germ, oat bran, or ground flax seed before putting them in the fridge.

They are delicious and you can substitute other things depending on taste. I use dark choc. chips and crushed almonds, dried blueberries were great as well. You can add more peanut butter (though any nut butter will work) if your mixture is to dry. Also they firm up after a night in the fridge, then they become addictive. Crunchy PB is also great.
These are one of my favorite healthier "treats"! I've made them with almond butter as well which was great. I feel like almond butter has a more neutral flavor which I really like because I'm not always in the mood for peanut butter. There is also hemp butter and sunflower butter which would probably be good alternatives for those kids at nut-free gyms. Sunflower butter is easily made just by grinding up sunflower seeds in a food processor (you can add a tiny bit of oil, sweetener, or salt to taste), since it can be a bit pricey in stores.

oooh Sunflower butter never thought of making that, think the kids would love that.
We don't do peanut buttter due to allergies, so usually do almond or cashew, always good to have new ideas. Thanks.

We can buy a product called no nuts, it is made from golden peas and looks and tastes a lot like pb, I use it for school snacks and it works great in the protein balls.

Just wanted to weigh in on those.
I clicked on the link, curious as to what they are.
Then I realized, my family makes those all the time. We call them 'Peanut Butter Balls'
I love them!! So yummy, relatively easy to make (although, can be a bit messy) But they are delicious and handy!!

Also, we use Sunflower Butter and it is great as well!! Most of the family likes it! As long as you don't eat it the first time thinking 'Ooh, this is going to taste just like peanut butter'
But it is good in it's own way.

We've also made 'peanut butter cookies' with the sunflower butter.

Okay, I'm not normally a make stuff at home sort of person, but I want to try these, they look easy and yummy. Might have to find a substitute for the peanut butter, though, there is a 'no nuts' rule at school because of some students with severe nut allergies.

Edit: I'd never heard of sunflower butter, but after a quick google, it looks like it is available in supermarkets here, so I may try that! The things I learn here at the Chalk Bucket!!!

Okay, I'm not normally a make stuff at home sort of person, but I want to try these, they look easy and yummy. Might have to find a substitute for the peanut butter, though, there is a 'no nuts' rule at school because of some students with severe nut allergies.

Edit: I'd never heard of sunflower butter, but after a quick google, it looks like it is available in supermarkets here, so I may try that! The things I learn here at the Chalk Bucket!!!

I don't cook either Nikki, but this is toss in bowl, mix, roll, wash hands, put in fridge. Five mins max and no baking. I have made a few different varieties now, there have been no bad ones.

I've just had a go at making some. DD doesn't like nuts or dried fruit, and we couldn't find the sunflower butter so I substituted condensed milk, making the mixture very sweet and probably a lot less healthy, LOL! For the flax and wheatgerm, I substituted almond meal and sesame seeds. We'll see how she goes with them this week.

My daughter finished her training tonight and then ate a small cupcake to keep her going until dinner. She did this in full view of the HC who asked where his was. I said to him that he probably shouldn't eat it because it contains too much sugar. His reply to my daughter was "You eat what you have to eat." He knows she's the type of kid who will burn it off, and needs the energy gained from the sugar hit. He had no problem with it.

So Nicki, while your condensed milk version might not be for everyone, if your daughter needs the energy she gains from it, feel no guilt. :) Fat is not necessarily your enemy. These kids need fuel. It's their mothers who may not...!

My daughter finished her training tonight and then ate a small cupcake to keep her going until dinner. She did this in full view of the HC who asked where his was. I said to him that he probably shouldn't eat it because it contains too much sugar. His reply to my daughter was "You eat what you have to eat." He knows she's the type of kid who will burn it off, and needs the energy gained from the sugar hit. He had no problem with it.

So Nicki, while your condensed milk version might not be for everyone, if your daughter needs the energy she gains from it, feel no guilt. :) Fat is not necessarily your enemy. These kids need fuel. It's their mothers who may not...!

This would never fly at our gym and I'm pretty sure our coach would pop a coronary artery. She is very big on a healthy lifestyle for life.

She knows that the kids eat some junk good but she preaches moderation and never during a workout. The girls are even discouraged from eating chips.

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

Shall I qualify by saying that she eats an extremely healthy diet? We recently took her to a highly recommended sports nutritionist to help me figure out how to keep her full and make sure she's getting enough nutrition to keep her going through all her gymnastics. My daughter has allergies and intolerances, and balancing them with her gym requirements was doing my head in.

We took a food diary to show the nutritionist what her regular diet is (good quality fresh food, with lots of fruit and veg, lean meat and quality grains), and her comment immediately was "What she is eating is great in terms of quality, however she needs more calories." She said we need to give her more fat, particularly. She said that while other gymnasts have to watch their intake in terms of fat etc, our daughter never will while doing gymnastics. My daughter has an extremely fast metabolism, and even though she eats large quantities of food, I have an awful lot of trouble keeping up with her energy needs.

On a recent training weekend, (two full days) the other girls were getting by on sparrow's food, while I spent the whole weekend shoving more food into my daughter. She gives her all during training but at the end, she's just had it because she's run out of energy.

So while it may seem like she has some "junk food" in her diet, we are following the advice of our sports nutritionist. The coach knows that, and trusts the health professional we are dealing with. Personally, I think it is extremely refreshing to have a coach (who has studied nutrition himself) who is so open to a non-traditional gym diet.

I hope you didn't feel like I was criticizing or that you had to justify your choices because I didn't mean to come across that way at all.

I made my comments based on my child only and since she had no food allergies (other than the dreaded vegetablitis), she needs to be building a good foundation. This is especially important since the women in my family struggle with weight control.

Believe me, she doesn't eat a sparrow's diet and is no stranger to cupcakes. I just can't imagine her ever eating one at the gym. :p

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

Bella's Mom, you're very kind. I did not know quite how adversarial your comment was (not at all, as it turns out!) and on some posts on this forum (not this thread), there is a lot of misunderstanding of different cultures. Some of it goes thinly veiled under the theme of "help me to understand you" when really all it is is a chance to ridicule someone for their different choices. I see that was not your intention at all. :)

Regardless of that, I do feel that it doesn't hurt for me to have explained the situation. Perhaps there is someone else out there who is struggling with their gymnast's dietary requirements. Maybe me stating that we sought the advice of a sports nutritionist will encourage them to do the same. We found it to be extremely useful, and things have improved greatly energy-wise-at-the-end-of-a-training-session, since we've been following her advice.

Thanks for your kindness.

Thank you for your understanding. I very much believe that each and every family has to make the decisions that are right for them and their child(ren). Because of my personal struggle with weight, it is important to me to try to equip Bella with the tools that will help her choose more wisely than I do. :-( And I very much appreciate that her coach emphasis healthy eating so that it coincides with my attempts to build a solid foundation in nutrition.

Bella's Mom, you're very kind. I did not know quite how adversarial your comment was (not at all, as it turns out!) and on some posts on this forum (not this thread), there is a lot of misunderstanding of different cultures. Some of it goes thinly veiled under the theme of "help me to understand you" when really all it is is a chance to ridicule someone for their different choices. I see that was not your intention at all. :)

Regardless of that, I do feel that it doesn't hurt for me to have explained the situation. Perhaps there is someone else out there who is struggling with their gymnast's dietary requirements. Maybe me stating that we sought the advice of a sports nutritionist will encourage them to do the same. We found it to be extremely useful, and things have improved greatly energy-wise-at-the-end-of-a-training-session, since we've been following her advice.

Thanks for your kindness.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back