Parents Losing sleep/anxiety

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nycgymmom

Coach
Proud Parent
My daughter can't get out of her own head. I reminded her yesterday that her meet is next week which apparently she forgot. I think it dawned on her she only has a few days to clean up her bar routine and last night she couldn't get to sleep. It was 1am and she was still up, she does this before meets and even after long vacations and she has to go back to school. Any tips?

Teach her to meditate :) Mindfulness and the ability to focus on the present moment is really helpful for anxiety. We use the Headspace app.

The one thing I’ve found that works best with my kids is giving them a snack. Often they are asleep 20 min later. Close second is melatonin. Third is listening to a meditation or going to sleep relaxation.

For me reading, something boring, with only a book light on or playing a nonsense shape game in the dark fits the bill. Possibly its the concentration of something other than your worries allows you to sleep. I also keep a pen and notebook by the bed. I write the ideas that circle my head at bedtime. This allows me to relax knowing tomorrow I will be able to recall what was so important the night before.

I hope she figures out something that works for her.

Melatonin does seem to help my daughter. Also something light on tv for a little bit after practice- and then reading for a bit in bed before lights go out. I have quite a bit of insomnia and anxiety. I have to avoid the computer and too much conversation before bed.

A friend’s daughter was like this and it combined with several other characteristics/habits of her child led to an ADD diagnosis. Now she’s doing much better with assistance of a professional helping her modify behaviors.

(Just thought it worth mentioning even though I know there would have to be other signs for you to consider this as a cause.)

I like the suggestion of meditation and other relaxation techniques as well as melatonin. Good luck!

A friend’s daughter was like this and it combined with several other characteristics/habits of her child led to an ADD diagnosis. Now she’s doing much better with assistance of a professional helping her modify behaviors.

(Just thought it worth mentioning even though I know there would have to be other signs for you to consider this as a cause.)

I like the suggestion of meditation and other relaxation techniques as well as melatonin. Good luck!
The thought has crossed my mind..will talk to her pediatrician

How old is she and what level is she? How is she doing at school both academically and socially? At gym and school (and anywhere else) is she under a normal amount of pressure or too much? What does it mean "she only had a few days to clean up her bar routine" - or what would happen?

Here is my thinking. Plain old situational anxiety (as opposed to an anxiety disorder) is a normal reaction to life, which normally requires that we do things that are difficult and thus are normally anxiety provoking. It is how we react to anxiety that is the problem. An anxiety disorder (or any other diagnosable disorder) means the anxiety (or whatever) and the person's coping mechanisms are interfering with life. For example, a child with anxiety about some aspect of going to school might refuse to go to school because they have learned that avoiding school lessens their anxiety.

If she is ONLY having situational insomnia- not being able to get to sleep occasionally when anticipating something that feels (and realistically is) more than typically stressful, but she is otherwise functioning normally and doing the normal things that are required of her without much difficulty, I am not sure you have to do anything except maybe listen to her fears and reassure her. Worrying about not getting enough sleep often only adds to the anxiety.

For just general difficulty getting to sleep, I agree with trying the little (or preferably no) screen time for a couple hours before bed. When he could not get to sleep for a while, my son benefitted from visualizing a peaceful place and deep breathing. It helps to encourage them to experience the place with all senses, not just "seeing" but also hearing, smelling, touch/feeling, etc. When that did not work, he would do the thing were you start at your heals and slowly "breath into" or relax each part of the body, in turn. If they are old enough they can do this themselves, but youngers will probably need to be guided.

Also sleep patterns change as a child ages, sometimes dramatically. If a kid is being asked to go to bed "too early" for where they are developmentally, that can make it very hard for them to get to sleep. Again, this would be indicated by frequent, not occasional insomnia.

How old is she and what level is she? How is she doing at school both academically and socially? At gym and school (and anywhere else) is she under a normal amount of pressure or too much? What does it mean "she only had a few days to clean up her bar routine" - or what would happen?

Here is my thinking. Plain old situational anxiety (as opposed to an anxiety disorder) is a normal reaction to life, which normally requires that we do things that are difficult and thus are normally anxiety provoking. It is how we react to anxiety that is the problem. An anxiety disorder (or any other diagnosable disorder) means the anxiety (or whatever) and the person's coping mechanisms are interfering with life. For example, a child with anxiety about some aspect of going to school might refuse to go to school because they have learned that avoiding school lessens their anxiety.

If she is ONLY having situational insomnia- not being able to get to sleep occasionally when anticipating something that feels (and realistically is) more than typically stressful, but she is otherwise functioning normally and doing the normal things that are required of her without much difficulty, I am not sure you have to do anything except maybe listen to her fears and reassure her. Worrying about not getting enough sleep often only adds to the anxiety.

For just general difficulty getting to sleep, I agree with trying the little (or preferably no) screen time for a couple hours before bed. When he could not get to sleep for a while, my son benefitted from visualizing a peaceful place and deep breathing. It helps to encourage them to experience the place with all senses, not just "seeing" but also hearing, smelling, touch/feeling, etc. When that did not work, he would do the thing were you start at your heals and slowly "breath into" or relax each part of the body, in turn. If they are old enough they can do this themselves, but youngers will probably need to be guided.

Also sleep patterns change as a child ages, sometimes dramatically. If a kid is being asked to go to bed "too early" for where they are developmentally, that can make it very hard for them to get to sleep. Again, this would be indicated by frequent, not occasional insomnia.
She is 9 level 7. She is academically and socially sound. Does great at school and has friends outside gymnastics. She has her whole level 7 routine but after her ankle fracture can only do bits of it at a time. She hasn't done well in scoring and she is hard on herself with that. Nothing really wil happen to her but low score.

The no screen time is probably a great idea...I may have her journal before going to bed to get her thoughts out of her brain. I just know when she wakes ups after a night like that she is even harder on herself and wakes up more anxious.

Thanks everyone for the tips

Another tip. When I'm anxious, I find listening to a podcast or an audible book that I like but am not too into help. It distracts me just enough. Nonfiction works well.

Dont remind her that a meet is coming up... dont give her time to get in her head. :)
I was thinkng the exact same thing. Some kids do better with time to prepare some don’t.

Besides I’m pretty sure the coaches will be onit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back