WAG Magical Classic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMom4

Proud Parent
Our gym is scheduled to attend the Magical Classic in February.

Have any of you attended and could share advice, do’s/don’ts or tips on how to find good deals?

We’ve done the presidential classic. If you want to stay on Disney property, my best advice would be to call them and speak to someone in reservations. If you’re flexible with your dates, and can stay longer, you may be able to find a great deal.

When we went, 6 nights would have been only like $100 or so more than either 2 or 3 nights - I don’t remember which I’d quoted.

Beyond that, check sites like VRBO and you could perhaps get a deal on a condo, etc. And we found Orlando very Uber-able, if you’d rather forego a car. Maybe not necessary if you stay on property and use Disney transportation.

It’s also at the ESPN building right? I would recommend arriving a good hour before the meet to check in and settle in. It’s a neat little venue.

It’s all I can think of for now. :)

We went to the City of Lights Invitational this last February. We rented a house through airbnb with another family. It was less than a year old, 4 bedroom with nice finishes and a small pool in yard. The gated development had pools, a lazy river, waterslides, mini golf, a lake with kayak rentals and a bar/restaurant. Less than 10 minutes to Disney. It cost $160 a night ($80 each family). We were so happy we didn't stay at Disney like we had planned. Another group from our gym, with just moms and daughters rented a 4 bedroom that was only $120 a night ($30 a night each) and they said it was nice.

The event will be at the Orlando World Center Marriott.

I haven’t yet seen how much meet entries will be.

I attended with my team three years ago. However, the year we attended it was held at the Orange County Convention Center. I think this may be only the first or second year it's being held at the Marriott, so unfortunately I don't have much information to offer :( We did feel it was a fairly run competition (though there was no coaches room w/ food that I can recall...found that a bit strange). They did offer discounted theme park tickets through the competition, which we purchased. I flew out on Thursday evening, coached Fri/Sat and still enjoyed the parks on Sun/Mon (since Monday was a holiday and our gym was closed).

My DD did that competition several years ago when it was at the convention center, so this information might be different than how it is set up now...
The good:
- the ream trophies are fun and the girls love them
- the girls also love that AA gets a trophy out to 6th place, I think that there were about 20-25 girls in each age group.
- they offer a great discount on universal and Disney tickets.

The bad:
- we had no idea until awards started what the age groups were.
- it was $25 per adult time get in, cash only.
- the traffic in the area was pretty bad.

We stayed off property, Orlando has a ton of options for that.

The new location at the World Center Marriott is much closer to Disney, and should have less traffic around. It’s actually a bit isolated—i.e., no walking across the street for lunch or anything like that, but the hotel is huge. I’m happy to answer any Disney questions if you want to combine the trip, just PM me!

@GymMom4 -- Just found out we will also be attending that meet. Meet website and FB page seem pretty helpful. I just booked at the host hotel (not cheap) because I heard it fills fast. We did the Sand Dollar Classic several years ago and had a great time.

We went to the City of Lights Invitational this last February. We rented a house through airbnb with another family. It was less than a year old, 4 bedroom with nice finishes and a small pool in yard. The gated development had pools, a lazy river, waterslides, mini golf, a lake with kayak rentals and a bar/restaurant. Less than 10 minutes to Disney. It cost $160 a night ($80 each family). We were so happy we didn't stay at Disney like we had planned. Another group from our gym, with just moms and daughters rented a 4 bedroom that was only $120 a night ($30 a night each) and they said it was nice.
------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the only way to go if you want to keep your lodging costs down, plus having a kitchen save you a bunch on food costs as well because you don't have to eat out for all your meals

You can also book timeshares in the area for less than a hotel room, for example Wyndham Bonnet Creek or Hilton Grand Vacation Club properties and they normally are 2BR/2BA or 3BR/3BA with resort activities, etc. PM if you want more details.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back