WAG Mental Block on backhandsprings on beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Teezi

Gymnast
Hi,

I know there are probably a million different topics already on this but, I fell like I am really stuck here.
Whenever I first started competitive gymnastics I had mental blocks on pretty much everything (standing back handsprings/back tucks, round off back handsprings, front handspring vault, back walkovers on beam, full turns on beam, fly aways). The last two years or so I've gotten much better with fears and, no longer have mental blocks on everything.

My one problem is backhand springs on beam, I have never hurt my self on them or seen anybody fall really hard, I just seem to be scared of them. This has been going on for probably close to a year now. I will do them on a floor beam by myself and, I will do them on the low beam with spot. The problem is as soon as my coaches try to not spot me or "stand there" I can't make my self go for it.

I know that I am older and fear is just a thing that happens but, at this point I really don't know what to do. Next year will be my last year of competitive gymnastics and all I want is to be able to compete a back handspring on beam by myself. Any tips or trick will be very helpful! (or even just stories so I don't feel so alone)

Gymnastics IS scary. Young kids don't have the ability to think through the consequences of what they're doing, so they have way less fear than us teen/adult gymnasts do. Logic tells us that jumping backwards, face first, onto a very narrow strip of wood is a terrible idea. Instinctually, it is completely reasonable to be scared. Everyone feels that way sometimes and has their own blocks (mine is backwards tumbling in general). Because we are older, it's hard to convince ourselves to "just go for it".

The general advice is to go back to drills, drill everything until you execute them perfectly, without fail, and are so bored of the drills you are ready to try the real thing. It will help you feel confident and prepared, but it also has a greater effect: your desire to do the skill will eventually outweigh your fear of the possible consequences. That is the motivator which will make you go for it.

Keep in mind that the first one is the hardest. Once you work up the courage to do it once, each subsequent time will be easier and easier.

It could help to find some preventative to you setting up the skill and then not going for it. You want to get into a mindset where once you've started, you intend to follow through. Don't stand there for ages with your arms above your head. If you find yourself doing that, it is better to do something else or a drill until you're ready to try again. You could try a count down, though that won't work for everyone. You could also have a friend or coach put on some positive pressure to stop you standing there mulling over it ("you can do it!" and "let's go" type things).

Alternatively, you may be a person who needs time to slow down, compose yourself, and then go for it. Being panicked raises your adrenaline, but you need to be calm and in control so you have maximum body awareness. Working out which one of these two gymnasts you are could help you find the best approach to getting over the block.

My last suggestion is to change up the progressions. You can do it on the floor, and on the low beam with a spot. How about on the low beam with panel mats on either side? Even just facing the other way. You want to distance yourself from the position where you give up or can't do it. You could look up other BHS drills and try some new ones. Approaching from a new angle could push you past that roadblock.

Mental blocks can be difficult to help, because they're so individual. I hope my suggestions have given you some ideas. Also know that in time, you can get over pretty much anything. Good luck!

Gymnastics IS scary. Young kids don't have the ability to think through the consequences of what they're doing, so they have way less fear than us teen/adult gymnasts do. Logic tells us that jumping backwards, face first, onto a very narrow strip of wood is a terrible idea. Instinctually, it is completely reasonable to be scared. Everyone feels that way sometimes and has their own blocks (mine is backwards tumbling in general). Because we are older, it's hard to convince ourselves to "just go for it".

The general advice is to go back to drills, drill everything until you execute them perfectly, without fail, and are so bored of the drills you are ready to try the real thing. It will help you feel confident and prepared, but it also has a greater effect: your desire to do the skill will eventually outweigh your fear of the possible consequences. That is the motivator which will make you go for it.

Keep in mind that the first one is the hardest. Once you work up the courage to do it once, each subsequent time will be easier and easier.

It could help to find some preventative to you setting up the skill and then not going for it. You want to get into a mindset where once you've started, you intend to follow through. Don't stand there for ages with your arms above your head. If you find yourself doing that, it is better to do something else or a drill until you're ready to try again. You could try a count down, though that won't work for everyone. You could also have a friend or coach put on some positive pressure to stop you standing there mulling over it ("you can do it!" and "let's go" type things).

Alternatively, you may be a person who needs time to slow down, compose yourself, and then go for it. Being panicked raises your adrenaline, but you need to be calm and in control so you have maximum body awareness. Working out which one of these two gymnasts you are could help you find the best approach to getting over the block.

My last suggestion is to change up the progressions. You can do it on the floor, and on the low beam with a spot. How about on the low beam with panel mats on either side? Even just facing the other way. You want to distance yourself from the position where you give up or can't do it. You could look up other BHS drills and try some new ones. Approaching from a new angle could push you past that roadblock.

Mental blocks can be difficult to help, because they're so individual. I hope my suggestions have given you some ideas. Also know that in time, you can get over pretty much anything. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your help! This helps by adding another view on this, and makes me not feel so alone in this.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back