Gymnasts Mental block on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym4.eva

Gymnast
Hi. So I have this mental block on beam for my Ariel. It all started when I was practing them and I landed with on foot on and the other slipped off and I sprained my ankle . And every time I got to do it I don’t even put a foot on the beam because I’m scared. And when I sprained my ankle it was before a meet . And my coach told me if I don’t do the Ariel that I won’t compete beam and she wasn’t gonna spot me because what’s the point of doing the skill because I do Ariel layout as my dismount. I really don’t know what I should do and I really want to compete beam. but it’s like I can do it and I know I can but I’m just scared…and my coach will not let me do an alternative for it because she said I can do it. My meet is in 2 weeks. I don’t know what to do.

It depends on your coach, how they handle insubordination, and if beam is the last event of the meet.
NOTE: We have a very forgiving coach, so would never be in that situation. The worst that happens is an "I'm disappointed in your choice" look that goes away before the meet is even over ...
but here is how you COULD do it if you are willing to accept the consequences.
You could always ACT like you are going to do the arial, but have a plan to do to do the alternative skill instead. This works best if beam is the last event ... especially if your coach could be mad and want to scratch you from the rest of the meet.
If you score well, the coach might not be AS upset as if you don't do it and score poorly anyways.

your meet is two weeks away. Go back to the most basic progressions you used to learn the skill in the first place and make sure you are seeing your foot land every time. You need to build your confidence back up with good repetitions.
Okay! I tried doing some on the low beam and stuck them with ease I was still a liTitle scared to do it on the high beam. And my meet is now one week away and I know I have to do it so when I get to practice today I will try to do the ariel.

It depends on your coach, how they handle insubordination, and if beam is the last event of the meet.
NOTE: We have a very forgiving coach, so would never be in that situation. The worst that happens is an "I'm disappointed in your choice" look that goes away before the meet is even over ...
but here is how you COULD do it if you are willing to accept the consequences.
You could always ACT like you are going to do the arial, but have a plan to do to do the alternative skill instead. This works best if beam is the last event ... especially if your coach could be mad and want to scratch you from the rest of the meet.
If you score well, the coach might not be AS upset as if you don't do it and score poorly anyways.
Oh yeah! I hope beam is last . The alternative is a salto . And my Saltos well….arnt the prettiest…..

Oh yeah! I hope beam is last . The alternative is a salto . And my Saltos well….arnt the prettiest…..
Then plan C ... when in doubt, leave it out - take the SV deduction but not the execution and fall deductions :). My YG competed her first year in Xcel Gold (I know , a much lower level than you) without ever doing a full turn or acro on beam. A couple of her scores were good enough to count for the team.

And my coach told me if I don’t do the Ariel that I won’t compete beam and she wasn’t gonna spot me because what’s the point of doing the skill because I do Ariel layout as my dismount.…and my coach will not let me do an alternative for it because she said I can do it.
*sigh* this is why USAG needs to require coaches to have some level of education in the psychology of mental blocks. Your coach is handling this in a way that is 1) very common, and 2) exactly wrong.

Sorry I don't have any useful advice for you. I have a general idea of how I'd handle this if I were your coach (starting with "do the exact opposite of what your coach seems to be doing"), but I don't think I can give you any guidance for how to handle this in your situation.

Your mental block is not your fault or your failure. And I wish more coaches understood that.

Does your gym have a medium beam? Since you got it back on the low beam that should be the next thing to try. If not you could stack mats under the high beam or put the high beam on the lowest setting.

I am super lucky that my daughter is with coaches that handle mental blocks gracefully. Her coach spots her (well, without touching her) during comp on her skills with mental block issues, which gives my daughter the confidence to do them. Additionally, they are fine with a reduced start value if needed. They have coached her successfully through several blocks. If she had been "forced" to do it like they are doing to your daughter, I am 100% sure my girl would have quit.

When you are practicing on the low and medium beam, practice landing and balancing on one foot. Then bring the second foot down with control. That way you are building confidence and muscle memory that if an issue were to happen again you are prepared, safe and can handle it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back