Methylated Spirits for calouses?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

One of my friends (who is a dancer) says that sometimes she uses methylated spirits to prevent blistering on her feet from point shoes.
I was wondering if anyone uses Methylated spirits on their hands to help with blisters and rips?

Well i havent tried putting methylated spirits on my hands to prevent rips, but my dad pours it over rips i have already got when they are all gooey because he says it will help them dry out faster. I would say that they do dry out faster when they have methylated spirits poured on them, but it does sting an awful lot at the time. I suppose if it drys out your hands when you have a rip it would probably help to dry out your hands and make them tougher which may cause you to get less rips.

I experimented with lots of things in my gym days, and metho was my favourite, and that's what most other gymnasts used too (in fact I think it may have been metho with a good dash of eucalyptus oil - idea being antiseptic plus providing some moisture and stretch for the skin).
I'd check with your coach though. Maybe there's a reason it's not so fashionable now?
The types of skills you do on bars now are different, so the grips are very different to what we used - so maybe the location of your rips (eg: CB is the first place I ever heard of wrist rips) and a good treatment for them is different too??
I'd sure like to know - my DD is only 5 buts keeps getting rips already!!

I used to use Surgical spirit - is it the same thing?

It drys and toughens up your hands so they don't rip so easily - used to use it on my toes when I did pointe work in ballet too!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back