MAG Moys (sp)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

gracyomalley

Proud Parent
DS 14 wishes to know if its a deduction to scrape the tops of his feet on his moy to support (sp). He bails out of a handstand, gets to a great support, it looks smooth as can be - but he's bleeding all over the gym from scraping the top of his feet on it - of course will compete in socks....He's a bleeder - learning all the L7 HB this summer after competing L5 has ruined his grips as well....he doesn't care about that part, just doesn't want the deduction if there is one...coach is young and inexperienced (but great) so not sure...DS is about 5'4" - so not tall but a "taller" L7....

is he bending his knees on the bail? Are the bars at a good height for him?

I do think if he hits the floor there can be a deduction. I am not 100% on that.

Bars are as high as allowed for competition per DS. Does have to bend legs on the bottom of all swings, so comes out of bail with straight swing and bends at bottom but still scraping top of feet...

yikes. what do his coaches say? I just can't imagine. We have had gymnasts that are taller than that and I don't recall them hitting, but I could have just missed it.

good to know! I figured I had no idea....:)\

But on a related note...that has to be painful to deal with every single time! Is there anythign that can be done?

Grace,
At 5'4" (unless he has really long arms) I don't think he should be scraping. Even if there is no deduction for a brush it's got to be reducing his amplitude on the finish and will certainly make a backward giant more difficult. I've seen many guys that actually extend the knees slightly (passing 90°) to "put the brakes on" - because this is a pretty scary skill early on... perhaps that is what is happening? If that that I would look carefully at his shoulder tension during the bail. Many new to this type of work lack complete shoulder extension (called shoulder girdle elevation - deltoids are pressed against ears) on the descent and - - GRAVITY always wins at the bottom. The jerk to extension could cause the knees to extend a bit and thus the brush with the floor.

Got any video?

He is probably bending at the hip before he passes the bottom of the swing. (tapping early) The knees should bend as late (and as little) as possible to miss the floor, whilst keeping the hip angle open. The D for hitting the floor will be at least .1 probably .3.

he'll work thru this in time. and i don't know anyone, even Joe Leo, that would take that deduction. Seniors, yes.

Sorry Dunno, but incidental brushing aside, (and if the OP's DS is bleeding on the mat it is not an incidental brush) judges will take the D. At least in my neck of the woods. And I'm pretty sure that Jim Leo - former Mid-East JO Technical Director will agree with me.

Not sure what he's doing, did see some PBs and was just blown away compared to last winter L5 without full handstands - missed the details I'm sure! - I don't watch much just send more tape and socks and get to look at the battle wounds. He is learning things fast and furious this summer so there could easily be details that could be fixed. He's also at that stage where he skips all breaks/games to keep working skills, so I think taking a week off (gym closed this week) may lead to rested muscles and tighter technique..

His only concern was whether it would be a deduction - not sure he even feels it - his hands on the other hand, are chopped meat (we are hiding them from his violin teacher at this time...)...

We are in a small gym in a small state in a small region - he wants to learn things correctly, but even with impressive progress in the last 6 months, not too worried about making it past L10 as a older high schooler maybe!

Thanks!

Haha, it's tough to have a kid who does both violin and gymnastics! I thought DD's violin teacher was going to murder us when she broke her arm and had nerve damage in her left hand.

DS went to his piano recital with four large rips on his hands. They were just healing and very raw and tight and he wouldn't let me cover them bc he claimed he couldn't play well then! This was after a full year with no rips- stupid pbar giants!

Just a question, what kind of P-bars? AAI Classic only go up to 76.75 ". This can be tough for taller athletes, and skills past L8.
AAI Elites go all the way up for the big guys. This was a MAJOR problem at our gym until they got the Elite P Bars....Not only were the big guys limited working under the bar, the 2 rails would actually bend outwards from the frame! YIKES!

Just a question, what kind of P-bars? AAI Classic only go up to 76.75 ". This can be tough for taller athletes, and skills past L8.
AAI Elites go all the way up for the big guys. This was a MAJOR problem at our gym until they got the Elite P Bars....Not only were the big guys limited working under the bar, the 2 rails would actually bend outwards from the frame! YIKES!
What? Can you explain that last part? Lol :)

For P bars, many gyms have the basic set, AAI classic bars. They are designed for basic gymnastics and up to some higher level skills. They are not for young MEN working L8 and up.
The larger kind of FIG PBars, which are bigger, heavier and can go higher up are like the AAI elites. IOW the rails can be raiser higher up, and allow for bigger skills like giants, peaches, and release moves for men.
We had a tiny boy who was doing high level skills like giants and peaches, double backs.......it did not matter which PBars he was on because he was 80lbs. We eventually got the AAI Elite PBars and that is what the big guys trained on. The old Classic AAI PBars were used for conditioning and for the compulsory level boys..

If your 14 yo son cannot get the bars set high enough so that he doesn't skin his feet, I was wondering what kind of bars you had. Especially if he is bending his knees!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back