MAG L6 parallel bars question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

profmom

Proud Parent
DS has been working on his pbars giant, and while I think it's a long way from ready for prime time, his coach wants him to compete it this year. Just curious -- they were talking about him doing it with a spot, but what kind of spot is allowed? I just can't imagine him doing it with the kind of spot one can provide by standing by the bars, as the coach is still spotting him pretty heavily by standing on a block next to the bars. (He's fine to do the moy if the giant doesn't come together, but I figure it's the coach's call if he thinks it makes more sense to work on and compete the routine with the giant even if there's a big deduction for getting a spot.)

Just in general -- the L6 routines are a big step up from L5, especially with some of the bonuses! I hope our guys are ready in a month, yikes!

Reactions: sce
I'm glad you asked about this, even though I don't know the answer! My son is working on the same skill and also has the coach spotting him. He talks as if he's going to do it with a spot for meets. I was kind of wondering how the deductions would work for that....

They are allowed a hand on hand spot, where the coach puts his hand on the boys' hand to prevent them from letting go too soon with no deduction.

And actually, the spot is only allowed on the bail, not on the actual skill. So the coach puts his hand on teh gymnast's hand for the bail, but then has to move it for the skill.

Very few level 6s do the giant. Very few 7s do it. Most do the moy.

Reactions: sce
My L6 and my L7 are NOT doing giants - and I never saw one at a meet on p bars at this level (granted we are in a tiny region). Hand on hand spot was used with DS the oldest friend last year - but for the Moy...my boys have had no issue with the pbars (but they are shooting for 1-2 bonuses max...) but high bar for my one skipping L6 is still iffy - as in he can do it all - but absolutely not connected and he and his sister are now in a "I'm more scared than you" contest with it!

Probably the coach has a different interpretation of what he expects to happen than your DS?

Saw giants in L6 from two gyms. Looked about 50/50 for hitting them. J trained them all summer- but is going back to the moy support for L7.

I think the idea is that he will need the giant for 11 YO future stars, so why not work them now?

That was our coaches idea too. But then he decided to have J test 9 yo and his moy support is very solid. He still practices and does giant drills all the time to get ready for next year.

Makes sense to be training them - that's basically what I meant regarding coach having different expectation than kiddo. But again, our state produces 1-2 future stars kids a year....and its not my boys!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back