WAG My DD refuses to wear grips!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

She's learning her Giants now and refuses to put grips on. She 10 does it matter or should I force her to finally wear them? Thank you in advance!!

I am sure her coaches will deal with it when they need to. :) That said, DD and I were watching a video of one of her coaches when she was in the Olympics and realized that she didn't wear grips at all! So I guess it is possible! ;)

Yes, Her Coaches say she'll want them as soon as. Giants get her but, they said they won't force her. Ugh. I just wonder if I should since their letting her make the decisions. But, Maybe she might never wear them?

My OG asked for grips back when she was moving up to old Level 5. She tried them... broke them in a little each day... then couldn't wear them because it was "too close to meets" and she couldn't do her whole routine in them... following that season, she decided to try them again. They were too small, so she BEGGED me to buy her a new pair. I got her a new pair... She tried them... broke them in a little each day... then couldn't wear them because they were too big and it was "too close to meets" and she couldn't do her whole routine in them. They weren't too big, she was just wearing the wrist part too high. Fast forward 18 months... she BEGGED for grips (this time, she wanted the pre-dowel grips that are the same size as dowel grips - said it would be easier to get used to)... She tried them... broke them in a little each day... then couldn't wear them because it was "too close to meets" and she didn't want to throw off her swings (although she has done one full routine in them). So now, meet season is over again. She is SUPPOSED to be working out in them some. Didn't want to on Monday. Didn't go to gym Tuesday. I will try to get her into them for a bit on Thursday :)
Luckily, I saved the bigger grips, so if she outgrows these, she can move into those :D Either that, or she will never wear grips!

Ok, Thanks Ladies! I'll stop bugging her. She swears she loves feeling the bars but I fear for her bloody poor hands. Again, Thanks so much.

I have two DD just like yours. I just bought the youngest DD (age 8) the narrow dowel grips from Ginnasta. They are a hit- she went to practice and wore them the whole time on bars- got her kip the first time. I can't believe the difference before she would adjust and mess with her old grips the entire time she was working on bars and would finally take them off and do th practice without grips. With the Ginnasta grips she tightened them one time and that was it. I am planning on ordering my older DD some today, she wanted to she how her sister liked them first. We are believers.

The texture is completely different. I couldn't believe how soft and flexiable they are compared to her 10.0 grips. They seemed to conform to her hand so easily. They are soft and not scratchy to her hands. I stayed and watched her bar practice yesterday and she got her kip on the first try, something she couldn't with her old grips. She was working on her clear hip circles and cast handstands with no problems with the grips. (We aren't at the giant stage yet) I got the narrow so she would still have a good grip on the bar. I think they recommend the regular size at 100 pounds but she is not there yet. I ordered my oldest DD this am and they have already shipped. My youngest DD order was here in two days. If you do decide to order, on their facebook page today is a code for a free pair of wristbands with your order.

My DD was also in the firm "I hate my grips" camp until we switched to Ginnasta. She still prefers bare hands, but she can handle it and do her skills with them. Her coach is pretty insistent that she learn to love them over the summer this year......

Dd has Ginnasta- her 1st grips and she is struggling with them. Says they "stick" when she shifts her wrists on kips. She has a very ugly kip with them on. Could it be she doesn't like the style? Are other grips different? BTW hers are Velcro dowel. It has been confirmed by her coaches they are the correct size. Dd hates grips!!! She has been told that after states she needs to use them and get used to them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back