Parents My sweet D got in trouble and sent out!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
It really was about time!!! LOL.....First time anyone important to her other than us parents have reprimanded her!

She was giving her coach some 8 year old 'tude' and the coach finally got so ticked off, her told her to leave. She was beside herself!! (yes, eye rolling, looking away,the whole bit!)

It took me a few minutes to catch on, I thought she was not feeling well and left for water and when I finally realized that my 'cute' little girl was actually in trouble, I had to do the only thing I could think of....
Listen, wait for her to fess up, and then send her back in to apologize and finish class. My heart really went out to her though!

She is very talented and knows it. She is the smallest girl on team and she can get away with a lot since she LOOKS so tiny, but she really is the same age as many of the bigger girls.
I am glad this happened (yes, I still feel like crying for her though) She needed that boundry check, and now hopefully she can learn really take some constructive criticism, without being offended!!
She cant be a baby forever, even though she is to me :)

It's always the talented ones who have that feisty type attitude! I feel they need that spark to stand out above the rest! If I were to bet (and I may be off base here) she's also fearless. Good job mom for standing behind the coaches and making her apologize.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

Some days I wish they would send my dd out! Not that she is horrible, but I think it would "wake her up" to the problems she gives her coaches. Glad you are looking at it the way you are, because a lot of parents live in denial that their child could ever do anything wrong!

Glad you are looking at it the way you are, because a lot of parents live in denial that their child could ever do anything wrong!
This is what my view is. I have seen lots of kids in gyms, both talented and not so much, whose behaviour has been appalling. The clueless parents astound me, they seem to think their kids are awesome and do not see the rudeness. Munchkin3 I applaud you for getting that kids in the gym need to be disciplined, in all ways.

I felt really awful at the time....But i look at it like training for life, not only a sport.
She was ready to quit on the spot to avoid the shame....I could not let that happen. Imagine how silly that would be.

I hope she will be respectful and take the coaches corrections without being a brat. I am glad the coach did it now because she will be doing some serious training over the summer. If her coach is happy, then she is happy.

Thanks for everyones applause....I feel good!
J

You should feel good. That was a defining moment and you handled it perfectly! That happened to mine once and she did the apology as well; now years later she knows what is expected and has become a role model to the littles.

There's nothing more constructive for a child, and her team, than a well deserved "walk of shame" to the lobby. When done properly it sends just the right message to all concerned. It serves as a great course correction for kids who are inclined to stretch the coach's patience and imagination, and boost up kids that give the coach and team their sincere best effort by telling them the program is there, and being preserved, to provide kids that work hard and respectfully a rewarding experience worthy of their goals.

Sure, there's parents that get upset on the basis it's negative and demeaning, and the money they spend is for a coach to coach, and not for a coach to parent. I think with a little "quiet time" they figure it may be either for the best, or the cost of the "ticket to ride," so I've grown fond of telling them to call me the next day if they feel a need to chat it up..... they seldom do.

A gym we used to go to.
Head coach sent home a 15 year old, several times one summer , rang parents to collect - 40 minute trip. Attitude. Kid went on to do VERY well. (Very well)
It was needed to draw a line in the sand.

I love it! And putting a stop to the attitude now will keep her coaches happy and her in the gym. More than one gymnast has been asked to leave a gym because their attitude became more than the coaches were willing to handle!

yep, like a recent poster out west that "couldn't handle the truth". wink wink Bog...:)

To say the least, she was an exemplary student today. She was trying hard, doing what the coach asked of her, and asking for clarification etc.
She was a bit tired at the end and went a bit flat, but she just laid low this time and did not act like a tired child.
I hope she can keep this attitude.
Thanks for all the encouragement!
J

I guess I have to ask this and be the bad guy, but do you always watch workout? if so how much? If you don't and just happened to be there that day then it sounds like it was handled well by the coach, but there should not of been any interaction between you and your child in this issue. We do not get parents involved at all unless this behavior continues and we have exhausted all avenues, (which rarely happens). If you are frequenting workouts then your presence may actually have been attributing to this behavior, she sees you as the authority figure and the coach as less, she also has you there as security. Anyways, not trying to be rude but I have seen this happen time and time again. Again, if this is not the case, then do your best to let the coach and only the coach start and finish the punishment, this gives them complete control and will gain respect. I hope that makes sense and does not offend you in any way.

I agree with you. I don't like it when my daughter acknowledges me when I wait for her. This day was I holiday and I chose to stay since I cant during the summer. I usually pick her up on my way home from work because it is on my way home, and quite a bit away from the house. During the summer workout times are during the day so I cant see her at all.

She is getting close to the age where she can be left unsupervised, but at our gym, you must be 13 to be able to get from the gym to the restroom. We usually have a chaperone during the summers or a designated person. Please dont get me started on the bathroom issue! it is crazy there is no bathroom in the gym...!!!

No offense taken, but i di know my daughter would have had a harder time not resolving it on the spot, and the coach would have let her leave and then it would have dragged on ....As my DD put it after, Mom, its over, i dont want to talk about it anymore!

i'm trying to visualize the no bathroom in the gym thing. do they use a porta potty or something? :)

i'm trying to visualize the no bathroom in the gym thing. do they use a porta potty or something? :)
There is a gym like that in our area. Their gym is in a large multisport building and the bathrooms are shared between a weights gym, climbing wall and a dhojo. Girls have to be supervised for bathroom trips.

Yes, like bogwoppit says, It is a large complex with many different sports and many different people......We dont let the kids roam the large facility unsupervised...HUGE Pain though!!! every time kids need to go, they must form a group, get a parent or employee, take em accross the facitily etc....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back