New beam guidance

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Learning Parent GB

Proud Parent
DD is a level 5 and I know that this means that there is no set standard. However, she cam back from practice last night with the start of a new beam routine. She told me that they now are not allowed to stop on the beam, that they have to have some sideways dance moves and that they must do something where their leotard touches the beam.

Does that sound about right? And what sort of thing can they do for the leo touching the beam? She does a cartwheel so no forwards roll, and her teammates do the box splits type mount thing which means their leos touch. I know her coach will have the answers, but I just wondered whether there are any other obvious moves?

yep we had that . P&F lies on her tummy and raises one leg straight up and stags the other behind it if that makes sense - don't know what its called mind you, but its new these last two comps.

Does she do it mid routine, or as part of the mount? I 'm just trying to work out how you would go from upright to lying down mid-routine. DD mounts and swoops straight to a needle stand which is one of the prettiest bits of her routine at the moment so I doubt the coach will want to mess with that.

taken a snapshot for you to explain it

She kind of stops, drops down, legs either side of the beam, then rolls onto her tummy, this is mid routine.

Attachments

• Snapshot 1 (03-10-2013 21-33).jpg
    Snapshot 1 (03-10-2013 21-33).jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 64
tell me about it ! Its the leaps that kill P&F. At home and at practice they are fine, get to a comp and she has no height or split, looses the value plus connection bonus !

They've really tightened up on the beam moves and after seeing how the judges interpreted the code at the levels all our girls routines were tweaked. What you've said sounds exactly in line with what I've heard. I think they said something about the mount needing to comprise at least 3 different moves? Also they have to show a dance move to each side when sidewards on the beam.

dd does a straddle press handstand mount then slides into box splits. Then she does a quarter turn swings her legs down and then leans forward on her front and pulls her legs up behind her so she is lying on the beam and then kicks one of her legs up and raises her torso to make a quick tight u/ring shape. I can't remember exactly how she stands, but it involves dragging her toes along the beam whilst bending down and holding it before doing a needlescale. So all her contact with the beam work is done at the beginning, as part of a prolonged mount sequence. She doesn't have any more in the middle of her routine - or at least she's not supposed to and if she does it means she's in big trouble!

She does a dance passage involving sidewards movements - nothing too fancy.

And you're right, they are not supposed to have pauses so lots of little hand flics whilst they get their heads around the next move...

Hand flics. That might be the answer. A bit like in the women's floor routines when they are not allowed to stand in the corner before a tumbling pass so they do random prancing while they compose themselves?!

It also makes sense why they were fiddling with her mount yesterday. I'd love to know what the 3 different moves are.

I also didn't realise that the dance move had to go both ways. I think it will make it prettier.

I really should just be patient and wait and see, but I love to know what it is all about and I don't want to quiz DD too much in case it seems like I am interfering.

I don't think there are three set moves - just that they have to do three moves. The coach should play to your dd's strengths- although how lounging around, striking poses, on a four inch wide plank plays to anyone's strengths is lost on me.

Also makes a bit of a mockery of that amazing mount Catherine Lyons does, where she stands next to the beam and just jumps up onto it landing in splits - right I'm on, job done, move on...

Made me giggle too "random prancing" but the latest is they are not allowed to pause in the corner of the floor for more than a second, so they are all trying to find ways to look busy whilst facing into the corner - "pausing, who me, no I'm just jigging about here in a meaningful way". Then like grandmothers footsteps they suddenly turn round and start a tumble run "surprise, you never saw that coming did you?"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back