WAG alternate optional beam skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! I am wondering if in levels 7/ 8 it is okay for a gymnast not to have any type of back handspring in her beam routine as you see 99% of girls in those levels doing them. I have an extreme lack of right arm flexibility due to surgery done on my arm 2022. Luckily, I can have enough flexibility for back handsprings on the spring floor, and no other skills that require open shoulders( like kips and giants on bars) seem to be too much of an issue, but doing a back handspring on the hard metal beam is near impossible for my shoulder and arm to handle. However, I have a cartwheel-round off, switch leap, and back tuck on beam that could all be implemented into a level 7/8 beam routine. Just not the backhandspring. Thoughts? Could I score well??

For level 7 we have seen gymnasts do a cartwheel-roundoff series to count for their series and their "flight" (?) skill. I'm not sure how that would go for level 8, but I assume that if you have a back tuck, it would also be fine.

As a side note, have you gotten PT? It seems like shoulder flexibility may not be at the root of the problem if you can do BHS on floor, and still can do giants, etc.

For level 7 we have seen gymnasts do a cartwheel-roundoff series to count for their series and their "flight" (?) skill. I'm not sure how that would go for level 8, but I assume that if you have a back tuck, it would also be fine.

As a side note, have you gotten PT? It seems like shoulder flexibility may not be at the root of the problem if you can do BHS on floor, and still can do giants, etc.
I have done some p.t. I have a rare situation because I have a titanium plate in my right arm. However, I haven’t gone to pt in a good 6 months and I think this is just the reminder I needed! Thank you!

It might not fly with some coaches/gyms, but the fact is that roundoffs and even dive-cartwheels are B elements, same as a back handspring, and all are legit elements that can be equally used to fulfill B flight requirements, including in a series as long as they are connected and show flight.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back