Parents New beam video!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

starmaker

Hello all, Liv's been wanting to making a new video for a while. She wanted to make a bars video showing her level 5 low bar routine. She is very proud to have the kip connected to FHC but changed her mind and decided she wanted a beam video (her least favorite event). I was not going to try to change her mind. I thought I never get her to want to make a beam video....lol.

Well, we were at open gym and she started with of course straddle presses. She did 4.5 presses but has been known to do up 7 presses on a good day. She actually did presses in between every skill. I don't know want it is with her and presses. She truely enjoys doing them. Her handstands were not really working out for. She normally does much better but I think her focus was off or she felt rushed or something. I kept telling her to calm down, take your time. She managed a few handstands, cartwheels and her newest skill back walkover. At her old gym she used to do them but her new gym breaks it down into many different little parts and barely gets to put it all together. Well she did it at open gym and I think it looks pretty lovely! I also noticed that she has a habit of kicking over her left leg first on her L4 floor routine but on the beam she was doing it with her right leg.....go figure! Well at least her L6 beam routine won't be inconsistent like her L4 floor was.

Well here's the link so you guys can chieck it out yourself: YouTube - Beam Skills- Open Gym age 6

It's nothing fancy. Just a little something to please Liv. Hope you guys enjoy!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good Liv! Way to go on the presses! Is she coming around about competing Level 5 next year? Sounds like she is going to be really ready for it.

Meg

She is just a doll! Super skills - she looks like she is well on the way to level 5.

She looks great.

My dd is the same way with being sort of ambidexterous on gymnastics skills. If she's going to work backwalkovers (and they look great, no reason she shouldn't), you might want to check in with the coaches on which way they prefer her to do it. My dd got comfortable doing it right and then in level 6, her coach made her switch to left, which is how she does most gym skills. It caused her a lot of frustration because she was really comfortable with doing it right.

Such a talented little superstar!!! When does she turn 7? In time for competition in the fall?:D She'll be SO ready!

Abby loved her video!!! Inspired her to make her own. :) She is really amazing. Those presses just blow me away. She is such a talented little gymmie.

Love the new video. I also love how you just let her do her thing without being overbearing and correcting her form during her fun time. She is so funny and cute doing her presses. Is she testing tops this year?

Looking good Liv! Way to go on the presses! Is she coming around about competing Level 5 next year? Sounds like she is going to be really ready for it.

Meg

Hi Meg, It seems like if Olivia wants to compete level 5 in the fall she HAS to get her vertical HS on beam quick. Her beam coach is preganant and crabby....lol! She is adamant about Liv doing level 4 again now. Liv is ok with it but has from time to time asked to compete level 5. I just tell to keep trying her best- overcoming her fear of beam, vaulting. All her other skills are there, they just need to been perfected. I still don't know what is going to happen. But I am thinking she probably do level 4 again.

She looks great.

My dd is the same way with being sort of ambidexterous on gymnastics skills. If she's going to work backwalkovers (and they look great, no reason she shouldn't), you might want to check in with the coaches on which way they prefer her to do it. My dd got comfortable doing it right and then in level 6, her coach made her switch to left, which is how she does most gym skills. It caused her a lot of frustration because she was really comfortable with doing it right.

Yeah Liv is a bit ambidexterous with her gymnastics skills but she does seem to favor her right side. Her whole floor routine- leaps, HS, etc are all righty but her kickover is with the left. I thought she couldn't do it with the right. I was a bit concerned about it affecting her future level 6 beam routine. But I guess on beam she is ok doing it with her right which is great since the rest of routine is righty.

Such a talented little superstar!!! When does she turn 7? In time for competition in the fall?:D She'll be SO ready!

Thanks Madigym! Liv turns 7 years old on April 14th which is right around the corner. But unfortunately I don't think Liv will competing level 5 in the fall. They may have her wait til the spring of '11.

Love the new video. I also love how you just let her do her thing without being overbearing and correcting her form during her fun time. She is so funny and cute doing her presses. Is she testing tops this year?

Thank you! I really try to let her do her thing and progress at her own comfortable pace. As she is getting older we are encountering issues and minor road blocks we did anticipate so early on. Apparantly fear and cautiousness has reared it's head. As a baby, toddler etc she seemed fearless and confident beyond her years. You just knew if she climbed that tree she knew how to get down etc. As she's been getting closer to her seventh birthday she has become more......what's the word.....thoughtful. She thinks every thing out, measures the risks and then decides if she is going to take the risk or not. So tough how they change as they grow up and develop. Luckily her fear is not consistent. For example, she is not afraid to do bwo on beam or cartwheel but is afraid of a vertical handstand. She is also a little hesitant of jumping to high bar but not of giants. Vaulting over the table doesn't seem to be a fear issue either.

Yes she is testing for TOPS this year. Tops her main focus. Her coaches seem to feel like taking some of the pressure off of compulsories and more focus/pressure on TOPS skills is what will work best for Liv. I tend to agree cause Liv just loves loves TOPS. She tested last year as a 6 year old although her scores did not count and were never submitted she loved every minute of it. She had only been training TOPS at the time for less than 3 weeks and held her own. She is expected to do very well although diamond may be a far fetch. We would be happy with gold and next summer go for the diamond. She has her TOPS skills except handstand hold. Last weekend she held it her longest yet and it was 20 seconds. Now she needs some consistency because it's hit or miss.

Hi Meg, It seems like if Olivia wants to compete level 5 in the fall she HAS to get her vertical HS on beam quick. Her beam coach is preganant and crabby....lol! She is adamant about Liv doing level 4 again now. Liv is ok with it but has from time to time asked to compete level 5. I just tell to keep trying her best- overcoming her fear of beam, vaulting. All her other skills are there, they just need to be perfected. I still don't know what is going to happen. But I am thinking she probably do level 4 again.

LOL about crabby beam coach! She has loads of time so Level 4 may be just what she needs. She surely will rock it and that will improve her confidence on everything. Good luck with the hs on beam. I know that gives a lot of girls trouble.

Those are some pretty impressive skills for a 6 yr old! Good job Liv

I love the control she has on those cartwheels. My dd is loving doing cartwheels on beam right now, but she can't seem to slow them down for the life of her. She just doesn't have the core strength to do that yet.
As for the presses, it still amazes me how she can do that...LOL

She's doing so good! So funny that you mention that she's using the opposite leg for the back walkovers. I just made a post on the preschool board about my 4 year old doing the same thing (well, for kickovers, we're not quite to back walkovers yet. :) ). She does everything lefty, but kicks over with right leg first. Anyway, Liv's doing great! My daughter and I both love watching her videos. :)

AWESOME!!! We love watching the progress. and naturally she LOVES presses - she's AMAZING a them!!! :D she is going to seriously rock optionals when she gets there

She is really talented! It's amazing what these very young ladies can do! I noticed Olivia's muscles are getting bigger, I can tell Joscelyn's getting muscley when she is playing in the gym. Very cool video!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back