Ok, I Can Do This (But I Don't Want Too)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well my 5 year old dd went to get a physical today. I was just expecting it to be a regular physical. She has had trouble growing but now is on the chart and I thought was doing well. Her pediatrician started asking questions and then did a physical exam. I hear of course that she is small but for the most part healthy. (I am not blind.) Then the doctors tells me that he is almost postive that she has a milk allergy. What??? It does make sense but the real pain is that she already has another serious food allergy that we have conquered by elimination and complete avoidance. I know that I can take milk out of her diet. I am the food Nazi where she is concerned. I just don't want to do it to her again. Does anyone out there feel the same way I do?
I am going to do what the pediatrician suggested for the time period but let's hope she isn't truly allergic to something else! Ice cream is what put the kid on the chart in the first place.

That's rough, hopefully it turns out that isn't the case! I have a cousin who was diagnosed with a milk allergy as a very young child and had to avoid it completely. His mom was very careful but quickly learned what things he could order at restaurants and what brands of certain products she could purchase. However, he was the first child and there wasn't another for 4 1/2 years, so she didn't need to worry about feeding other kids at the same time. Fortunately, he ended up growing out of the allergy and can now eat just about anything. So if it does turn out to be the case with your DD, there is hope that it won't be a lifelong condition.
There are also a ton of options available in regular grocery stores for people with milk allergies or who are trying to avoid dairy for another reason. I'm not sure how it tastes, but it would be an option if there are some foods your DD thinks she could absolutely not live without.
Good luck as you try this whole process out, I'll be hoping for the best for you guys!

My son was diagnosed with a milk allergy among others like glutten. I found that he doesn't miss the milk when he drinks the Silk chocalate milk. He loves it! My other two DDs love it as well. Milk has been fully replaced with Silk soy milk. Try it!

My sister is vegan, but before she was vegan she found out she did have a milk allergy. They have lots of products that are good, you can get different kinds of milk (soy, rice, almond) The almond milk is really good, the brand is Almond Breeze. You can use soy milk in cooking and baking without noticing. FOr ice cream, they make soy and rice ice cream, and my sister eats one called Ricecream, and its actually really good!
YOu can buy soy cheese too.
Now, you can buy just about anything soy, lots of stores have a vegan section, you can look there. Good Luck!

Have they officially tested her for a milk allergy?
My ds also has a severe food allergy and his docs thought he was allergic to other things... until I had him tested.

Oh no, that's tough. Poor thing! Is it just milk, or all dairy?

I'll second what Hawaii_gymnast said about almond milk. We drink almond milk here (even though none of us have any food allergies) and LOVE it. The vanilla almond milk is so good...and almond milk is supposedly better for you than regular dairy milk.

Hopefully you'll find good substitutes for her and it won't affect her lifestyle too much.

EK2- My dd was tested for allergies at 2. She came out positive for a specific food allergy that was really taking a toll on her health but not milk at the time that I am aware of. There are also allergies that will not show up on allergy testing because of the different reaction in the body. I will have to look that up again. Her allergist is one of the best in the country so I will put in a call to his office today. It isn't the end of the world but it is just so frustrating for her. She already voluntarily passes up cake at birthday parties becasue she doesn't want to get sick.

EK2- My dd was tested for allergies at 2. She came out positive for a specific food allergy that was really taking a toll on her health but not milk at the time that I am aware of. There are also allergies that will not show up on allergy testing because of the different reaction in the body. I will have to look that up again. Her allergist is one of the best in the country so I will put in a call to his office today. It isn't the end of the world but it is just so frustrating for her. She already voluntarily passes up cake at birthday parties becasue she doesn't want to get sick.

I would definitely make sure that this is the problem and get the official tests... then work from there. I know with milk there is an "allergy" to the protein and lactose intolerance... meaning the body just cannot digest it. Each is different and so are the options. Good that you are calling the allergist. So sorry I totally understand about birthday cake! We always have to bring our own...

Midget is allergic to milk as well.

She eats lots of things with soy though and loves them. especially soy mac and cheese.

Why did the doctor think she has milk allergy? I mean, what were the signs that led him to that conclusion?

UGH food allergies and intollerances are such a drag.

I totally sympathize with you. My DD has had a casien intollerance all her life. She was also diagnosed at 9 with a gluten intollerance. Both of these are not true allergies meaning she wont stop breathing from them or get hives or any of those things but none the less she can't eat them either. I am also the food nazi :). Who new there were so many ingredients that hide things like gluten and casien. Thanksfully food packagin in the USA is alergy friendly now days.

The good news is at 14 yrs she is finally able to tolerate casien sometimes. She also is totally tummy ache free once she was off both. She also never gets sinus infections anym more either. We found out that the gluten was the bigger culprit of the 2 things and once she was totally gluten free the dairy intolerance was much less.

I know the road is long and a bummer but much worth it in the end. She will feel better and probably grow out of some things.

Blessing and prayers to you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back