Parents Uk based query about trial periods.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My child is in squad but she has recently trialled at another gym. They liked her and offered her a squad place that day. We are not hugely fussed with our current Gym and think that the new one is much better and will give her the opportunity to develop into a stronger and more resilient gymnast, ultimately.

The problem we have is that the new Gym have said that all new gymnasts are essentially in a trial period for a few months when they start. Is this standard?

We are worried if we transfer her that she could end up with without Gym, if at the end of that time period the new Gym pull back on the place.

I suppose I’m asking what you would do? It would be awful if she ended up with no squad at all!

My gut feeling is if that they like her enough to have offered her space then it is unlikely she’ll not be able to stay. She has gelled well with the group so far and both the head coach of the gym and the squad coach she has met so far have said that she her skills are good. The head coach was actually the person who offered the space in a squad to her after her trial session with her.

We obviously can’t continue to train at both gyms! Her current gym don’t know she has been offered this place. We did mention before Christmas that we were going to look at some other gyms (because of logistical difficulties getting her to all her sessions) However, we haven’t actually confirmed to them that she has trialled and being offered a place somewhere.

Very normal as far as I've seen - but think of it more like the probation period when you start a new job rather than the interview. They're just making sure a gymnast is committed, listens, can take corrections and so on, they're not going to drop someone after one bad day.

If at the end of the trial they decided she wasn't a good fit for the squad she is in they would likely offer her a lower squad at their gym. They won't want her to leave. I would just let her enjoy the new gym. If you leave your current gym on good terms you could like return if ever you needed to.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back