Ontario Rules

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mamaofgymmie999

Proud Parent
Does anyone know about the new rules? I have heard tale that there is no mobility this year and the age cut off is changing, so many girls will go up 2 age groups potentially. They will now compete on the age they are in 2017, so if the gymmie was born late in 2016, it used to be they were that age for the season, but not anymore.

are there any other changes?

Thanks!

No mobility at all for optionals and compulsory? So someone who was the Ontario champ could conceivably repeat that level? That doesn't seem quite right.

I did hear about the age change though. But age is what you will be on December 31, 2017 (instead of January 1, 2017 which is what has been used). What I haven't heard is whether the age groups will change or remain the same though.

...Or did I misunderstand and you meant MINIMUM mobility scores? That is, scores you must achieve in order to proceed to the next level?

I'm very new to this as DD has not been old enough to compete yet, so maybe I'm missing something with the age requirements. My DD will be turning 8 next month (born 2008), so with a cut-off of December 31, 2017 could she compete this upcoming season as a 9 year old...even though she would still be months away from turning 9 the entire season?

Yes @Mom2Chickadee. My younger DD is turning 8 in September and would compete as a 9 year old next year but competed as a 7 year old this season. There's really no disadvantage as they're still competing against the same kids...but it means ranking at meets for these kids who would have had another year of stickers. That might be tough for younger kids.

Thanks @vbdb for the clarification. That will be interesting. My DD has only done ODP and is very much looking forward to competing actual routines this year, even if just for stickers (so we thought). Her gym likes to compete girls at levels they feel they can succeed at. I think DD would have had more of an opportunity for up-training skills if she was competing as an 8 year old this year, but I guess we'll see......

I heard that all the other provinces do this and Ontario is just catching up with the rest of the county.
Yes I heard the same thing kids turning 8 this year will compete as a 9 year old, etc. Its what your age will be as of December 31, 2017.
The change will work for everyone - there is really no disadvantage. They usually always put the age 9 kids in their own category and don't mix them with age 10. So everyone has the same change and is on the same playing field.

As for move up - I am not sure where I heard this but I thought if they scored a 37 at provincials and 1 - 37 in a qualifier then they had to move up. Except level 9 & 10. (Again, not sure if I dreamt that or I read it somewhere)

In Quebec, we are still using the year of birth. So our youngest competing this year were born in 2008. But we are still going to use the provincial program...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back