WAG Parent Coach Communication

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gg_bug

Proud Parent
How much communication do you have with your DD coach? Do you get feedback/progress report yearly, quarterly, or monthly??

Nearly none. Communication we do have is tactical rather than how she's doing regarding gymnastics (like, schedule and meet info, etc.). My daughter is doing well and is happy, so there really isn't much to discuss. If there were issues, I would open a dialogue with them, but otherwise there isn't much feedback.

Don't get set parents reviews, report cards etc. I have two in gymnastics, one is happy to have a progress meeting if we set up an appointment, coach doesn't get the chance before or after sessions, usually coaching rec etc before session and after session the gym closes do everyone just wants to get home. If there was something the coach wanted to alert you to (good or bad) they will speak to you after practice. The other coach emails updates to sessions and tell us about comp info by email and also text any updates that happen within a day or two and give you a quick update after session (not always but more often then not).

We have the mobile numbers of the coaches and their emai address, I try and keeping texting to the minimum and try to contact them about any pressesing matters like illness etc and email any thing else. One coach is good about replying to texts, the other is not. It did bother me that one doesn't usually reply but I have now got the mindset that I have let them know whatever I needed to tell them and if they reply, good, if not then that is how it is, it just slightly annoys me as it is common courtesy to reply if it is just a quick text saying thanks for letting me know (moan over lol)

If you are just informing them of something and don't need information back then the coach may think she is being polite not responding. I had a former boss train me not to respond because she said it cluttered up her in box. Just another perspective on what it means to be polite.

Me too, txgymfan. I get upwards of 800+ emails a day at work (sometimes more) and it is very hard to manage those communications if everyone replies to every single thread. It's hard to balance 'courtesy' with just basic professionalism of if you sent me something, you can assume I read it. I respond if the thread warrants that -- otherwise I don't.

I can understand that as I don't reply to a message from the coach if it was a general information about practice text, it is when you text with a question relating to a future practice, something you cannot ask in person as you want see them until that particular practice is over. I text if it about a practice that us going to happen within 24 hours and email if I don't need a quick response or the message to be read quickly.

This is first year for optional for DD. I would like to meet after state to get coaches insight on progress, if she is meeting expectations, behavior & plan for next year. Is this ok to ask for a little meeting or better to just assume no news is good news. Opinions??

I feel like we've been really lucky with coaches at our new gym. when I come in to pick up my two dd's, their coach ( he coaches both my girls) will run over and tell me she got a new skill or how well she's doing on X event(this how you know it's a small gym). Their have been times where he will video tape a skill and send it to me if I'm not the one picking her up that day. He's into talking to parents about progression but doesn't do formal meetings it's usually when he sees you at the gym he will just stop you for a second to talk.

At our gym you can e-mail a coach and ask for a meeting, or try to catch them for a brief conversation after practice. They are really good about making themselves available for quick chats if needed, I love that (and so many other things) about them. :) We don't get any sort of written progress reports or anything, basically no news is good news and we assume the kid is progressing as planned until told otherwise. :)

We really have good communication at our gym. Coaches are generally in the lobby before their shift to answer quick questions from parents. However, if I have a specific question/questions that is private in nature, I will email asking for a meeting or a quick phone call. We have been pretty fortunate with our coaches. They have always made themselves available to us :)

We don't get any regular scheduled meetings or updates during the year. We did meet once last year when we found out that dd made it to the level 2 team. And I suspect that we will meet this May to find out if she made it on to the level 3 team or not. Other than that, there have been no updates, meetings, etc. Her coach is friendly and approachable though and I think if I did have any concerns or questions, she would be willing to discuss them with me. But everything seems to be going along ok or as expected and so I'm fine with the way things are right now (although, if I am being honest, I would love to hear some updates on where she is and how she is doing!)

There is no "scheduled" progress reports at our gym, but you can certainly reach the coaches if you have questions or concerns. I would say that they often would prefer to not have certain conversation, i.e. "what is the plan for my daughter." I understand this. The plan is to train progressive skills, get strong, and have as much success competing as possible. Beyond that, it is hard to predict, so those "what is the plan" conversations can tough.

But if your DD is struggling, having fears, or injured at all, you bet you can talk to them.

HC texts me regularly... and we talk 2x a week. Often it is about upcoming meets or meetings or things she needs me to do, but she also discusses YG with me. Most recently, YG's Little stepsis had her tryout. After, HC sat down with me and discussed the tryout - skills she has, skills she is progressing on, skills she is not ready for, and fears she has (All things I already knew). We also discussed placement and my opinion of everything :)

No scheduled communication like meetings or progress reports.

I usually don't take dd to practice but from the few times I have, parents try to have quick conversations with the coaches before or after practice. This means that coaches don't have time to talk to any parents other than the ones who are seeking them out.

We have small town, small gym. Seems to equal great communication. Our coach will also video and show skills if something exciting happens and we aren't there. She is truly amazing and has such a great relationship with the parents; I think it is awesome!

ODDs coach will catch me before or after practice to gab and talk about DDs gymnastics too. She will even grab me before or after meets to talk. No formal communications except meet dates/times/etc and no evaluations. My YDDs coach will talk to me occasionally about specific skills and sends emails about meets, as well as level placements. One of YDDs coaches also friended me on fb and (privately) posts videos of my girls when they do something new or excellent. I feel like I can talk to both girls coaches about anything gym related, whenever I need to.

Old gym's communication was one thing they were really good at--there was the yearly meeting to talk about the past season and level and goals for the upcoming season, then there were weekly emails from one of the HCs/owners with general team updates on practices, meets, etc. If we ever had a question, we could email or text and they would respond pretty quickly. Never had an issue with communication there.

Precious little in the way of communication at our gym. They are responsive, should I need to approach them but that's about it. It sometimes seems like they only call in parents over bad stuff so I'm mostly glad I don't get called.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back