WAG Pulled Hamstring on Meet Week! HELP!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MinnieGymMom

Proud Parent
My daughter pulled her hamstring yesterday and has her second meet of the season on Saturday... any tips on how to make it hurt less (its not severe)

Please do see a doctor if rest doesn’t help. I tore my hamstring several years ago and didn’t properly rest it and ended up having to do PT. I was unable to do anything but bars for a few months, it was not fun. I hope your daughter heals quickly!

please do not let her compete on a pulled hamstring. this can lead to small ruptures of the muscle fibers/perhaps already is one. the following problems can last years (!). i myself developed a really bad back problem that started with a not properly rested hamstring injury years back. rest and more rest, do nothing that hurts in the slightest. after 24 hours or so in track (very common injury in speed events) you usually would apply some hot cream to get the blood flowing again. it hurts but it helps. also sauna, hot bath... most important: patience and no workout in pain. this is not a pain to be ignored.

oh, and if you go down the hot cream route: do not apply it with bare hands. bean sized blob of cream is enough. keep it firmly away from mouth, eyes and the like. do not try to wash it off if pain gets too intense - water and especially sweat make it far worse. oil works fine to get it off, but better endure if possible (in my experience girls are much better at this than the boys ^^). do not use before trying to go to sleep - there will be no sleep. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back