WAG Question about training....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Traci

Proud Parent
Okay - so our current gym is now doing 2 days of "basics" training and 3 days of skill training. Is this normal? When I asked my DD what exactly was "basics" she said - "like cartwheel".

I am so confused.

Reactions: sce
Traci -

Take a breath - this should not be causing you stress. As Bog says, basics are the root of precision and precise movement is what JO gymnastics is all about. When my dd was a Lvl 10, they would periodically have workouts that focused on "the basics". In fact, its kind of humorous to see Lvl 10's getting corrected on cartwheels, back extension rolls, back handsprings, etc.

I am sure next week at practice for my L10 ds will be all basics. Handstands, swings, etc. gotta have those or you don't get skills :)

Traci -

Take a breath - this should not be causing you stress. As Bog says, basics are the root of precision and precise movement is what JO gymnastics is all about. When my dd was a Lvl 10, they would periodically have workouts that focused on "the basics". In fact, its kind of humorous to see Lvl 10's getting corrected on cartwheels, back extension rolls, back handsprings, etc.

Oh I am good - we just have not done this before so I didn't know if this was normal.

Reactions: sce
I just had a chat with my team girls about how summer practice wouldn't be new skills all the time, but a mix of new things, old things, and basic stuff. They come 3x/week over the summer and at least 1 of those days will likely be spent of basics and conditioning.

Our L10 does basics every Wed and Conditioning on Fridays and the rest of the time on skills

Yup, completely normal. In fact, at the beginning of the year, we do 6 weeks of "basics" (Like at the max ROBHS tuck, if someone is training double fulls, or like 5 million CHS a practice, lol)

I work my girls on basics once a week. It helps fix the flaws in the more advanced skills. If we do basics and concentrate on perfect body shape, it becomes a great building block.

DD does 1 day a week, complete basics. It's amazing what the girls all the way up to level 9 that will slide on skills if you let them!

Our gym does it too. Especially this time of year - after meet season is over but before summer schedule starts. 2 days a week of basics is what it sounds like from my dds. I keep telling them it will make the uptraining easier.

Now that competition season is over. Our girls go right back to basics again. Drills drills and more drills....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back