Welcome to our Gymnastics Discussion Community
554,231 messages... 44,365 topics... and 6,612 members
Join for FREE!
Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts & High 5 Meets!

Service dogs at gymnastics meets

Carorainydays

Gymnast
Fan
Nov 8, 2020
Country
USA
Does anybody have any experience about this? Ill be getting a service dog soon and have concern if people will freak out if i bring him to the meets
For reference the dog is for psychiatric reasons specifically my anxiety and i also have tics and the dog basically gets rid of them while im with him

Geoffrey Taucer

Former Admin
Gold Membership
Coach
Former Gymnast
Jan 21, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Country
USA
Where are you located?

Your best best would be to contact USAG (or whatever organization you are competing under) and ask them. Might also be worth consulting a lawyer with expertise in disability law. Probably best to let the meet director know (or rather, ask your coaches to let the meet director know, since it's frowned on for parents/athletes to do that) ahead of time

I have no relevant expertise so don't quote me on this, but my best guess is that if you're in the USA, the ADA would protect your right to have the service dog with you so long as the need is legitimate and the dog is well-trained.

Last edited:

Carorainydays

Gymnast
Fan
Nov 8, 2020
Country
USA
Where are you located?

Your best best would be to contact USAG (or whatever organization you are competing under) and ask them. Might also be worth consulting a lawyer with expertise in disability law. Probably best to let the meet director know (or rather, ask your coaches to let the meet director know, since it's frowned on for parents/athletes to do that) ahead of time

I have no relevant expertise so don't quote me on this, but my best guess is that if you're in the USA, the ADA would protect your right to have the service dog with you so long as the need is legitimate and the dog is well-trained.
Thanks for the info about who should contact meet directors i really appreciate it luckily we are in the usa and we will contact usag ty for the info

alattejavatoo

Former Gymnast
Oct 6, 2020
Country
USA
Certified service dogs cannot be legally be barred. Carry the documentation with you. A former client trained service dogs and carried the paper work with her everywhere she went. You will probably have less problems if they wear the identifying vest.

Reactions: Carorainydays

gymmom21

Proud Parent
Apr 28, 2017
NY
Country
USA
Are you a gymnast or a parent? I would be concerned about who would secure the dog while you are competing if you are a gymnast?

ernestine

Proud Parent
Oct 6, 2018
Arkansas
Country
USA
Does anybody have any experience about this? Ill be getting a service dog soon and have concern if people will freak out if i bring him to the meets
For reference the dog is for psychiatric reasons specifically my anxiety and i also have tics and the dog basically gets rid of them while im with him
I am sure you know all this, but if it is a trained service dog, it can be anywhere you are. It is an extension of you. The only questions that can be asked are: Do you have the service animal because of a disability and what services does it perform for you. Emotion support animals are completely different because they are not regulated. In the library where I work, we do not allow emotional support animals.

alattejavatoo

Former Gymnast
Oct 6, 2020
Country
USA
Are you a gymnast or a parent? I would be concerned about who would secure the dog while you are competing if you are a gymnast?
I am a former gymnast and coach. If the poster is an athlete s/he would have to work that out. Certified service animals are kept on leashes and are well trained for many environments.

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Jul 19, 2011
Region 9
Country
USA
Is it a trained and certified service animal or an emotional support animal? I think that makes a difference.

Sk8ermaiden

Proud Parent
May 6, 2013
Country
USA
Is it a trained and certified service animal or an emotional support animal? I think that makes a difference.
That's the big question. If it's just a pet that helps you, they are not allowed in most places. If they've been through the rigorous service animal training, they're allowed to be anywhere you are.

A regular pet would be extremely dangerous in a meet environment.

Reactions: skschlag

Carorainydays

Gymnast
Fan
Nov 8, 2020
Country
USA
I am sure you know all this, but if it is a trained service dog, it can be anywhere you are. It is an extension of you. The only questions that can be asked are: Do you have the service animal because of a disability and what services does it perform for you. Emotion support animals are completely different because they are not regulated. In the library where I work, we do not allow emotiona
He or she will be a completely task trained service dog we are currently working with a service dog trainer

wandrewsjr

Coach
Coach
Proud Parent
Sep 4, 2009
Country
USA
I have seen service dogs out in the completion area at meets, with coach and judge. The only negative to deal with is all of the kids reactions. EVERY gymnast on the floor wants to pet the dog. Once you do some educating(you are going to get lots of questions), it will calm down. And the Covid times should help as there will likely be less people/interaction at meets.

Reactions: Carorainydays

Oopski

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Judge
May 25, 2012
Texas
Country
USA
If it’s a trained service dog them there should be zero issue bringing them. The only thing I’d worry about a little is kids not knowing the “rules” around service animals. No petting etc.