WAG Suggestion for uniform team footwear at meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
Our team won 1st place team at last week's meet. Standing on the podium with their trophy, I noticed each gymnasts had something different on their feet. One girl was bars foot, one had flip flops, the other one had moccasins, many had socks in varying colors and patterns. My daughter's gym once took an afternoon to decorate uniform colored flip flops. What is your team's footwear at meets? Any interesting and creative suggestions?

This year the owner suggested everyone get black slides because everyone usually has a pair in the closet. She did this because this was the year to buy new uniforms ($350).

HC has told the girls that they have to wear their warm ups (fully zipped) for Awards... and she doesn't like anything crazy on their feet, but most of the girls CHOOSE to wear mismatched socks, go bare foot, or wear whatever footwear they wore to the meet.
Now, for our Championship meet a couple years ago (theme: Follow the road to your dreams... a Wizard of Oz theme), they all wore Red and White Striped slipper socks.

One team doesn't worry about it. The other child's team asked the parents to purchase athletic shoes in the team colors. We had our choice of shoes so we got to decide how much to spend. The girls all looked coordinated.

We have done everything from matching flip flops, matching slippers and this year, matching sneakers. The sneakers look really cute with their new capri leggings warm up pants.

My team have always done the presentations, in our warm up jackets with black cropped sports leggings and our coach insists on plain black trainer socks so that we are all co-ordinated. In the winter months we swap the sports leggings for the warm up bottoms to stay warm.

I think socks- either matching or in team colors (or just crazy socks for the fun of it), or bare feet would be just fine. And the most economical option. Though finding the right matching socks on meet day could cause a lot of frustration! I don't recall ever putting my shoes on for awards when I competed, though I'm also the type that takes my shoes off at the door and doesn't put them on again until I am walking out the door.

Our girls wear matching slides. OT, butI do like the trend of the stretchy capris instead of warm-up pants. I hope our gym goes with those next year. It would take a lot longer for DD to outgrow those.

Old gym required white tennis shoes. No policy at new gym, but most of the optional girls seem to wear these Ugg style slippers. Easy on, easy off with a hint of fashion I suppose (though I guarantee most girls are wearing the faux Uggs ;)).

In club we usually wore sneakers but I like how in college (at least the meets I've been too) the teams either all wear matching sneakers or matching Adidas slides.

Those do look nice and are provided to the college athletes free of charge...our girls bought similar sneakers in team colors at $115 a pop!

Those do look nice and are provided to the college athletes free of charge...our girls bought similar sneakers in team colors at $115 a pop!
Yikes! The leo/warm-up is expensive enough without throwing in $115 sneakers! It seems like, if all you are going to wear them for is before and after meets, you don't need high-quality sneakers.

Yikes! The leo/warm-up is expensive enough without throwing in $115 sneakers! It seems like, if all you are going to wear them for is before and after meets, you don't need high-quality sneakers.

That was my position on it so she had to use her own money for them:)

My daughter has capri warm up pants. Sounded great in concept except we live in a cold weather climate. Not so great in January.
Up until 3 years ago, we had nice warm-ups - lined on the inside and water resistant on the outside...
http://gtmsportswear.com/product/ch...uct=4350&Color=1107&Product2=4354&Color2=1107
The girls didn't need to worry about wearing a heavy coat over them, even in the dead of winter... just a hat and gloves (which, btw, I was able to get a set to match the warmups at the dollar store).
Then, we went to a GK warm up set - polyester microknit... not warm at all... one girl ruined her pants the first day, scooting across the floor (basically melted the fabric through friction). We still kept them for 2 years. This year, I was hoping to go back to the old warm ups (or at least something similar) since we were leaving GK. We went with Alpha Factor Warm-Ups... and almost every pair of pants ordered based on the size chart are too big... and are not warm anyways. The girls have had 3 meets... 2 in very frigid temperatures... had to wear their winter coats to those two. The other meet was in the 40s, so they could get away with just the warm-ups.

In cold weather, they also wear their boots to the meets, so we try to pack flip flops for potty breaks and awards :)

We switched over to the Capri style pants this season and I don't like how they look with flip flops. But the girls look very sharp in them with tennis shoes on.

I also live in a cold weather climate and my girls often come to meets in boots or something similar. Because of this (and not wanting to ask parents to fork over more money) I typically ask my girls to go up for awards barefoot. This takes care of the crazy socks and shoes issue and the gym is usually warm (and clean) enough to not have to worry about having to keep something on their feet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back