WAG Suggestion for uniform team footwear at meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We have our meets in gyms that might be warm... unless they are on the outside wall... but awards are often not even in the same part of the building, so they have to walk the halls to get there. One of our February meets, the awards will be in a different building, so they will have to put their boots back on to go to awards.

When awards are near the competition gym, we do tend to see a lot of our girls barefooted.

The only rule our team has is that the girls have to stay in warm ups and together to watch or participate in awards (and believe me, there are times when with a 4 hour icy drive over mountain passes awaiting us this has been burden enough!!)....most are bare feet, but anything goes - I've never actually paid an iota of attention to the footwear of the other teams gymnasts!

The only rule our team has is that the girls have to stay in warm ups and together to watch or participate in awards (and believe me, there are times when with a 4 hour icy drive over mountain passes awaiting us this has been burden enough!!)
Oh, I know! It would be so nice to just be able to leave once your kid's group is done!

We bundle up at 40 degrees! Here in our part of TX, we do not do so well in the cold!!! All of our award ceremonies have been held in the same part of the venue as the competition. DD usually goes barefoot. She has a jacket that she is able to wear, but the pants are entirely too big! Her coaches allow her to wear black bottoms, usually Capri leggings or a pair of fleece pajama pants.

or a pair of fleece pajama pants.
Oh, my! Those would never fly with DD's HC! I am in charge of the vending for our home meet and I considered ordering those stick on mustaches that seem to be all the rage. But then I imagined our HC's reaction of girls were going up for awards wearing stick-on mustaches and decided against it. HC is very concerned about the image her girls project!

So do you not usually have presentation on the gym floor in the US?
Ours are always barefoot. Sometimes in the club tracksuit, sometimes not. But our presentations are done on the gym floor so shoes wouldn't be allowed anyway.

unless the gymnasts are in the last session, there is another session warming up on the floor when it is time for awards, so they have an area set up specifically for awards. At our home gym, we have an auditorium (I have to say we run the smoothest awards ceremony in the district AND actually have seating for everyone). At other gyms, people end up sitting on the floor or standing around... and awards take forever. We have a system that works well for us and we follow it for every meet :)

I guess our awards are much quicker - we only go out to 6 places.
Warm up for the next group is often at the same time, with gyms that have a second floor area.
LOL, don't think any of the gyms have an auditorium or anything like that. The old and new state venues have more than one area but not that can be used for awards really.

I guess our awards are much quicker - we only go out to 6 places.
Warm up for the next group is often at the same time, with gyms that have a second floor area.
LOL, don't think any of the gyms have an auditorium or anything like that. The old and new state venues have more than one area but not that can be used for awards really.
We award out to 12 places... It used to be that we awarded all places (except at Championships, where it was top 12... with no splitting of an age group no matter how many there were... and Nationals where it is 1/3 of each age group... and they only have 3 age groups), but now everyone in the district does top 12... and they don't break up an age group unless there are at least 24 gymnasts - which they are allowing us to do at Championships too :)

Oh, my! Those would never fly with DD's HC! I am in charge of the vending for our home meet and I considered ordering those stick on mustaches that seem to be all the rage. But then I imagined our HC's reaction of girls were going up for awards wearing stick-on mustaches and decided against it. HC is very concerned about the image her girls project!

Same here!

This year, we swapped traditional warm up pants for black leggings (from GK) and matching slides. Jackets must be zipped!

Our girls either go barefoot or white socks. Easy, cheap.

I like that our gym really tries to keep costs down. We get new leos every other year and then new warm-ups on the opposite years. They try to keep the cost of each to about $100. Unfortunately, this means our warmups are NOT stylish. I'd be willing for fork over a bit more money for something fitted. Our girls wear the addidas style, baggy pants & jacket with the stripes down the legs.

Do any of you get team jackets but then just buy inexpensive leggings elsewhere? That would seem to be a good option to me. Girls could get leggings almost anywhere or, if they are something other than black, we could probably order them from a regular clothing store and then put more money into the jacket.

Our girls either go barefoot or white socks. Easy, cheap.

I like that our gym really tries to keep costs down. We get new leos every other year and then new warm-ups on the opposite years. They try to keep the cost of each to about $100. Unfortunately, this means our warmups are NOT stylish. I'd be willing for fork over a bit more money for something fitted. Our girls wear the addidas style, baggy pants & jacket with the stripes down the legs.

Do any of you get team jackets but then just buy inexpensive leggings elsewhere? That would seem to be a good option to me. Girls could get leggings almost anywhere or, if they are something other than black, we could probably order them from a regular clothing store and then put more money into the jacket.

Our coach was able to get jackets with "bling" for the first time ever this year. They have our team name and a design on the back in some type of stones - 4 colors. Unfortunately, we had to get new leos AND warmups AND matching bags this year... and they were still only $200 each - with the bling on the jacket AND on the new bag. I never thought I would say this, but maybe see if the gym would switch to Alpha Factor. That's what we did... and it has worked out well - got our order ON time and CORRECT ... although the pants in adult sizes were for the most part, too big.... so the girls are just wearing any black stretch pants they want.

We don't have any footwear requirement-depends on the girl. I can't tell you how many girls I've seen slip getting onto the podium because she is wearing socks, though! For gymnasts, you'd think they'd be able to stick their landings ;)

With regards to capris-they do look cute on our girls (this is the first year we've had them) but we live in a chilly climate-dd has had to wear pants over her warm-ups and her faux Uggs to keep warm.

My daughter has capri warm up pants. Sounded great in concept except we live in a cold weather climate. Not so great in January.

I wholeheartedly agree here. We're also in a cold climate and DD's team has capri bottoms. They're absolutely adorable, but she's always cold - often even during warm-ups. She says she just never feels warm. I did buy her some matching leg warmers for on the way in and out of the buildings, but they honestly don't seem to help all that much (the capri material is thin).

As for shoes (back on original topic!), DD wears sparkly BOBs which match her uniform, but the girls each do their own thing.

That said, I think matching slippers sounds cute.

Our girls go barefoot. They also go to awards in their leos, maybe with a black pair of bar shorts over them. The team recently got outfitted with new warm-ups for when we travel, but not everyone has them, so they don't all wear them for awards. DD has never received an award wearing anything other than her competition leo (no shorts, no shoes), though if she'd gone to our most recent travel meet in SC she probably would have worn her warm-up suit because it was COLD apparently!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back