Parents Team Size??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Emily's level 6 team has 8 girls on it all of them 9-11... since we are new to this team I don't know how many girls have been with them since the early early levels.
Madi's level 4 team has about 18 girls on it and they are 6-11

Dd's team works differently---she has 1 set of coaches and about 20 kids from L8 to elite. The girls pretty much stay with the coaches all the way through although they work through rotations seperately. Her team has had some leave...mostly older girls...either to go to another gym or move away. There are several sets of coaches in the gym and they all have girls of various levels. It is a bit confusing, but it somehow works. It has it's pros and cons--the coaches really get to know the girls, personalities, etc. as pros....but cons---if there is an issue b/w coach and athlete, it could be a bit difficult. So far it is working for us...so onward and upward ;)

Great Question....

Our team in general is huge. Over 200 girls and that does not include our boys team. I think we are in the 225-250 range...

Sean

Even though our team is huge, they really look at the whole individual and make decisions based upon the individual and not just the whole group. (Also, the coach/gymmie ratio is really good.) I think that's a big reason that so many gymmies who go to the gym stick with gymnastics longer than average. In fact, the gym has one of the highest retention rates in the country, which is awesome, I think.

Cait started out at age 5 on the pre-team, which is called Pets. After Pets, children either move to regular level 4, go back to recreational (which is rare, since the Pets selection is pretty sound), or go to Jets, which is the developmental program. Jets gymmies are the ones whom the coaches believe have the ability, motivation, determination, and risk-taking personalities to last long in the sport, and they train more hours. They also skip level 4, taking that time to train and become even stronger. Anyway, after Pets, Cait, along with about 75% of her group, moved to Jet 1. A year later, most moved to Jet 2 together, although some spent the summer as Jet 1s, moving up after proving themselves over that summer. This past spring, 1/2 of her group got moved to regular level 5, the rest stayed Jet 2s, and one gymmie from the regular level 5 moved into Jet 2. Cait and one other teammate have been 1/2 Jet 2 and 1/2 Jet 3 since summer, and Cait will be Jet 3 after she competes a level 6 meet, scores out, and begins competing level 7 in January. Basically, I think all of the about 15 gymmies she began with at Pets are still at the gym, but they are in different spots now. (Some are new level 5s, some are second year level 5s, a few are 6s, a couple are 6/7s, and, as I said, some are in the regular levels, and some are Jets.)

Hmm our team is growing and off the top of my head I don't know the full breakdowns but...

Pre-Team:
6 - L2s ages 5 to 7
10 - L3s ages 6 to 10
11 - L4s ages 6 to 12

Team:
4 - L5s ages 8 to 12
3 - L6s ages 8 to 13
5 - L7s ages 8 to 14
2 - L8s ages 13 - 15
1 - L9 age 14

Our girls on team levels 5 and 6 spend more time in Prep Opt than compulsories and generally just do one meet to score out and move on.

Our L4 team has 40 athletes. 25 came up from L3, 8 "immigrated" from other area gyms, 2 moved into the area from Calif., and - 5 are L4 veterans.

I "think" the L5 is about 25(ish), but then it takes a giant tapswing downwards. L6-7 is about 8 athletes each, and the L8 - L10 team is 3 or 4.

Age ranges are about the same as Bella's Dad. The L8-10's all seem to be Jr. or Sr's in HS though. "Optional" girls get lockers. Which is apparently a really big deal.

Last edited:
Our L4 team has 40 athletes. 25 came up from L3, 8 "immigrated" from other area gyms, 2 moved into the area from Calif., and - 5 are L4 veterans.

Holy Cow that is a very large team!! And it would seem that your DD is at the top of that lineup!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back