Team tryouts and straddle splits

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amblan01

Gymnast
We have to get invited to Pre-Team which I'm on. And during the last week or two of Pre-Team you have to get invited to team try outs. We need level 1 skills since this year our YMCA started competing at level 1! What are the new level one skills after the changes?

And they said you have to have your good leg and straddle splits to be on team. I have my good leg. My straddles are about 4 inches off the ground and I have 3 more practices. And will be watched closely on the last two practices. I got my good leg in about two weeks of practicing every other day and I was about a foot off the ground. Tips to get them fast?!

I got my good leg in about two weeks of practicing every other day and I was about a foot off the ground.

Time and frequency. As much as you can as long as you can.

Ideally, try holding them for somewhere between 3-8 minutes. It's gonna suck. You can also try working on them multiple times throughout the day.

haha BlairBob is right! It is going to suck, but it's worth it!

For the longest time I could only do my front splits, but after I learned these tips I got my straddle in a week. Always lean forwards so your legs form 180°, using your elbows to support, instead of sitting down and trying to push yourself out. If it hurts too much, start out with pillows. I would place one on each foot, kind of like you're stretching oversplits, making sure to keep 180° (even if it means your hips are off the ground). Hold this for 2-3 minutes, and then hold without pillows for another 2-3 minutes. This confuses your muscles into thinking splits without pillows is easier and you'll slide down further for some reason. :D Make sure you're stretching your hips too. Watching TV or listening to music is a good distraction. What's most important if you're on a time crunch, however is to stretch as many times a day as you can! Good luck! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back