WAG Teams Praying before/during meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Unfortunately, way the anthem is typically performed at sporting events (a cappella, in the style of a cadenza, by someone who is incapable of staying in the same key throughout the entire song) does not lend itself to sing-along.

I couldn't agree more, that makes me sad too.

I was once told by a choir director (before we sang the National Anthem at an MLB game), "Nobody is here to hear us sing. Our job is to get on the field, sing, and get off the field--all as quickly and respectfully as possible."

I have taken that advice to heart for every sporting event I've sung at (including sessions at meets hosted by Short Stack's gym) since then. I pick a singable key, add little to no ornamentation, keep a steady tempo that is slightly faster than I would prefer to sing it.

I am very critical of renditions that are a dirge, change tempo 15 times, and add so much ornamentation that one couldn't sing along if one tried.

I still sing along with the instrumental versions played at other meets.

This aspect of the military was a huge culture shock for my husband and I. We always felt very out of place amongst most military because of it.
Same. It is actually to the point that I avoid most official events because it’s just rampant. My husband’s direct boss ended every conversation for the past four years with trying to convince him to find Jesus. It’s a bigger problem than people realize.

We spent a couple years at a big gym in Region 1 that we didn't realize was very Christian conservative from ownership, through the coaches (most, maybe not all), and down to the families. One of the first questions you would be asked amongst the pack of gym moms was "what church do you go to?" Or, a bunch of this and that about church and then expecting you to light up and chime in. Many girls at private Christian schools. Coaches would talk about God. A lot of anti-Obama, anti-immigration on Facebook. In our entire time there, I never successfully unmasked a fellow liberal. Great gym, but we were sooooo clearly out of place. At the age of 6, my daughter had never stepped inside a church and had very little understanding of the concept of religion. She had never even had an imaginary friend. I had to start coaching her about how to respond and what to say and what NOT to say so she wouldn't draw attention to herself when the topic came up at practice. We were honestly concerned that 3-4 of the coaches would have been particularly turned off toward her if they knew. We eventually had a list of pros and cons for leaving or staying, and #1 on the list was getting our little girl to a gym where she could grow up comfortable being as she chooses amongst a mix of cultures and philosophic outlooks. Some of my best friends are Christian conservative and there are some wonderful coaches and some extremely kind and delightful parents at that gym, but I've been to many foreign countries where I felt less out of place than I did there. Usually, communication softens a lot of this type of discomfort, but we didn't have a lot of that either, from coaches or the "involved" core of parents.

Please don’t drag military families into it. My husband would rather not have to stand in a rigid pose that screams military at every meet, and I’ve been clear on my stance. It’s not for military families imo.

I hear you. I find it very awkward at times, especially when they are asked to stand so we can show appreciation. I can just see most of them cringing b/c they don't like the attention. I was just stating what I have seen.

My club is called christian sport club, and we have never had a prayer.

The things i do notice being at a Christian club:
HC isnt usually there for sunday sessions at meets
All the fundraisers we do are from Christian organizations
We have all the Christian holidays off
We organize gymnastics camp with the church

But we dont get called out for not being Christian, religion is almost never discussed. We never pray, and I've never seen anyone pray at either practice or a meet

My club is called christian sport club, and we have never had a prayer.

The things i do notice being at a Christian club:
HC isnt usually there for sunday sessions at meets
All the fundraisers we do are from Christian organizations
We have all the Christian holidays off
We organize gymnastics camp with the church

But we dont get called out for not being Christian, religion is almost never discussed. We never pray, and I've never seen anyone pray at either practice or a meet

This is interesting! I never thought that you could find a religious club from Netherlands. I thought that majority of the Dutch people are non-religious. Is your club an exception ore are there more religious clubs out there?

I’ve never been at a meet that I can remember a prayer being said over the PA before a session starts. I only remember one meet when the anthem wasn’t played and that felt odd to me (because it was out of the norm). With that said, I could see how people who don’t believe the same would have a problem if the gym they sent their kid to everyday focused on religion (last I checked, I’m paying for gym, not religion anyway) but I think a random *run in* (can’t find the exact word I’m looking for) is a good learning opportunity in how to respectfully handle opinions that you don’t necessarily agree with. My opinion is unless it is causing physical harm, I can be respectful, be quiet, stand and if I don’t care to listen to what is being said, I can use the time to reflect on things I find calming/positive/uplifting (and try not to roll my eyes).

I'm in Texas -- the heart of overt religious and patriotic displays country -- and I've never been to a meet with a prayer. It would bother me if one did start with one, as it is very disrespectful to all of the gymnasts and families who do not share that particular religion to make them a part of a public religious display. It would feel like taking a kids sporting event and trying to make it into a political statement (because around here, public displays of religion are almost always political).

As for the anthem, I am an American and I was educated abroad in US embassy schools. We were taught to remove your hat and stand at attention for the anthem. That is still what I do, even though I get dirty looks from people. My husband is an immigrant to the US. He places his hand on his heart, even though in his citizenship class (decades before 9/11), they were also taught to stand at attention. He says that because of his ethnicity, he doesn't not to want to stand out as the only one in the room not with hand on heart. Let's just say that sometimes, total strangers can make really rude comments about immigrants, and he doesn't want to do anything that draws attention to him and away from the kids and their gymnastics.

Been going to meets since 2012. Anthem at every single one. In NJ, NY, CT and MA.

Never experienced any group (as in whole session) prayer.

As far as individual teams. Our gym doesn’t. Although nearly every kid and their family attends some sort of church/temple.

Prayer doesn’t offend me. Not praying doesn’t offend me. I’ve been to religious services of many faiths and I respect their norms regarding dress, standing, sitting etc...
Telling me (or anyone really) I can’t pray or forcing a prayer in a way I don’t want to, expecting me to participate in a prayer I don’t want to offends me.

The anthem doesn’t offend me. I prefer folks to be respectful. I believe they should. I respect all countries anthems. I remove my hat. My husband removed his hat during any countries anthem. But telling folks they must do something like stand offends me.

Prayer doesn’t offend me. Not praying doesn’t offend me. I’ve been to religious services of many faiths and I respect their norms regarding dress, standing, sitting etc...
Telling me (or anyone really) I can’t pray or forcing a prayer in a way I don’t want to, expecting me to participate in a prayer I don’t want to offends me.

That is pretty much it. I don't shelter my kid from religion. Her dad/My husband is a confirmed Catholic who takes it very seriously, as does his family. She has many religious friends (we homeschool), and has said grace at their houses for many meals. We've been to churches of different faiths, and we've studied world religion both in our homeschool and for a Girl Scout badge. To say she hasn't been raised to understand and respect other religions would be laughable. But for her to be blindsided by a group forced prayer at a sporting event? I find that so utterly not cool. And despite what so many here say (which may be true for them in particular), if it had been a non-Christian prayer, there would have been a mob of angry parents at this meet, demanding their money back, or even pulling their daughters out. I have been in Texas long enough (my entire life) to know that that is true.

As I said above, if it had been a generic prayer, it might have rubbed me the wrong way a little, but not enough to be a big deal. But in addition to the fact that it was trying to hit all the tenants of Christianity at once, they were sneaky about it. They said, "Please stand for the national anthem, and then remain standing for a moment of silence." OK, I am wondering what domestic or international tragedy happened that I don't know about. That is the ONLY way I have ever seen moment of silence used. Then the anthem ends (and everyone stands for the anthem, hand over hearts or not, because this IS Texas) and they say again, "Please remain standing for a moment of silence." OK, still wondering what is going on...and then...BAM, we're praying. So no option to be sitting and playing on your phone or grabbing a soda or anything. It was very obviously planned to force some Christianity on a trapped audience.

"Please remain standing for a moment of silence." OK, still wondering what is going on...and then...BAM, we're praying. So no option to be sitting and playing on your phone or grabbing a soda or anything. It was very obviously planned to force some Christianity on a trapped audience.

Actually no moments of silence either at meets.

But moments of silence are very common around here. And in fact this is what replaced traditional Christian based prayer in schools back in the day around here.

I actually like them. Its not Christian based at all. It is simply what it states. A moment to do with whatever you want. Just silently.

Pray or don't. Just do it quietly so as not offend anyone else with your particular choice. A prayer of any faith you desire. A mantra. Practice of your multiplication tables. Deep breathing to center yourself. Reflect on something you are grateful for or a need. A moment to think about what a nice day it is.

Yeah, I would have no issues with that at all. It's kind of cool. I've never heard of it though except after tragedies.

This is interesting! I never thought that you could find a religious club from Netherlands. I thought that majority of the Dutch people are non-religious. Is your club an exception ore are there more religious clubs out there?
There are more. I think the main reason is that the Netherlands used to be fairly religious, but it has become less. My club was founded in 1945, my guess is that it has something to do with it.

Our local elementary school says the pledge/ national anthem at assembly before school in the gym where many of the kids gather. Some parents complained because they got their kids to school just in time so now the school does it AGAIN at the beginning of the official school day. So many of them get it twice, every school day. I think weekly would be fine, even monthly.

The school also does a moment of silence to pray or reflect.

I wonder if those saying "just don't listen if you don't like it" would feel the same if the prayer was from a faith other than their own.

yes i would feel the same. if there was a prayer from a faith other than my own, i would probably listen out of curiosity. it doesn't affect me in any way and if it bothered me, i could leave or play on my phone, put my headphones on, ect....

even though i'm religious, i am respectful of those who don't have the same beliefs. personally, i don't think one personal faith should be forced on other's kids so as to not make a child feel alienated or uncomfortable.

I get sad when I am the only one singing it. I get the strangest looks when I am singing along. Who cares if you can sing well or not... SING!

I am so jealous of Canada in this regard... their Anthem has a prettier melody, is more singable, and Canadians seem to sing their Anthem with pride.
i sing it too.
i think at bigger sporting events (football, basketball) more ppl sing. i always sing though. can't help it. lol . i don't have the best voice so i try to sing quietly. :rolleyes:

yes i would feel the same. if there was a prayer from a faith other than my own, i would probably listen out of curiosity. it doesn't affect me in any way and if it bothered me, i could leave or play on my phone, put my headphones on, ect....

even though i'm religious, i am respectful of those who don't have the same beliefs. personally, i don't think one personal faith should be forced on other's kids so as to not make a child feel alienated or uncomfortable.
You might listen out of curiosity once, twice, or even a handful of times. If it was all the time, everyday even, for years and years and years.. and then combined with mocking and belittling of what you actually believe sprinkled in.. I would wager that you’d get tired of it. Really tired of it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back