WAG Teams Praying before/during meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't find it offensive. I stand up and put my hand to my heart like everyone else. I just think it is a bit much at the beginning of every session.
Do you have many meets where they do it at the beginning of every session? We may have gone to 1 or 2 meets like that across 10 years but most we have gone to do it at the first session only.

While I don't see the need for it, I can understand it especially if the host gym has several families in the military and want to honor them. It only takes a few extra minutes.

You must be kidding? I’m not personally a fan either, and I think you know that it would go over like a lead balloon to simply walk out. People are not free in this country to remove themselves from forced displays of patriotism without incurring scorn. I could imagine a few gyms where something like that- done by me- could get my DD kicked out of the gym. CB is anti political, so I won’t go further than that.

i meant the praying....

personally i would never leave during the anthem. i haven't joined the DAR yet but i plan on it. my roots are firmly founded in this country and i would never leave. i get sad when i see all the ppl around me that don't have their hands on their hearts during the singing of it. that is how i was brought up.

You must be kidding? I’m not personally a fan either, and I think you know that it would go over like a lead balloon to simply walk out. People are not free in this country to remove themselves from forced displays of patriotism without incurring scorn. I could imagine a few gyms where something like that- done by me- could get my DD kicked out of the gym. CB is anti political, so I won’t go further than that.

Yes, I think we need to be careful about treading lightly on this thread, not making it political or religious in nature or it will get locked/deleted. But if it is kept superficial, it should be ok.

I agree, it would be seen as a sign of disrespect to walk out on an anthem in progress but I have seen people make themselves scarce before the anthem starts (go to the bathroom, out to the car, etc).

Do you have many meets where they do it at the beginning of every session? We may have gone to 1 or 2 meets like that across 10 years but most we have gone to do it at the first session only.

While I don't see the need for it, I can understand it especially if the host gym has several families in the military and want to honor them. It only takes a few extra minutes.

up here it's at the beginning of each session.... and if two meets are going on, then you can hear it twice. once at your meet and then once at the meet next to you. every single meet i've been to.

Yes, I think we need to be careful about treading lightly on this thread, not making it political or religious in nature or it will get locked/deleted. But if it is kept superficial, it should be ok.

I agree, it would be seen as a sign of disrespect to walk out on an anthem in progress but I have seen people make themselves scarce before the anthem starts (go to the bathroom, out to the car, etc).

i meant the praying!!!!!
it was two different subjects. not sure how many times i'm going to have to post this now....

i meant the praying

i guess i should have made it two diff posts.

Got it. I've never experienced praying at a gymnastics meet. But the point is, people should not have to remove themselves: they should not be subjected to it in the first place. If it is a Christian gym that advertises itself as a Christian gym then they can totally do what they want. Truly where I live, YMCA's are very very inclusive!

i meant the praying....

personally i would never leave during the anthem. i haven't joined the DAR yet but i plan on it. my roots are firmly founded in this country and i would never leave. i get sad when i see all the ppl around me that don't have their hands on their hearts during the singing of it. that is how i was brought up.

Just to clarify - older folks (over 45 ish, maybe younger but not by much) were not raised to place their hands on their heart. That was reserved for the Pledge of Allegiance. We were raised to fold our hands in front of us or at our sides.

We are in Region 8 also and dd's gym is one that considers itself a Christian gym. Her team does huddle before a meet and the coach says a prayer for the team. We are not religious at all, but it doesn't bother me or my daughter really. Also, all the meets we go to have the National Anthem played at it and there is often the gymnast's prayer recited before the meet too.

I don't see the national anthem as having anything to do with the military. It's the national anthem. The service branches all have their own anthems that can be played if you want to honor them. At the most recent meet I attended, there was at least one gym from Canada, so they played both anthems, which I enjoyed. I think I was one of the few Americans singing along. :)

My favorite rendition of the US national anthem was this PA men's judge (who has since retired and moved to Florida) who would play it on the harmonica.

I think praying at gymnastics meets is a very regional thing. I haven't seen it at meets around here aside from the silent invocations of various and sundry deities who might be interested in showering down hit routines.

i meant the praying!!!!!
it was two different subjects. not sure how many times i'm going to have to post this now....
please realize that this thread is moving fast and people may not have seen your clarifying post. It happens.

Just to clarify - older folks (over 45 ish, maybe younger but not by much) were not raised to place their hands on their heart. That was reserved for the Pledge of Allegiance. We were raised to fold our hands in front of us or at our sides.

interesting.. well i'm considered older by your standards ;) and i was raised to put my hand over my heart. i see a scattering of all ages at various events with hands over their hearts and ditto for those not doing it. i just assumed it was the thing since that is how i was raised.

but thanks for clarifying! (truly)

Cincinnati Gymnastic Academy has aways been a gym with a Christian foundation. There is a biblical quote front and center on the website. Since gyms are privately owned, peoplecan make their own decision if a gym team that prays is right for them.
Many people avail themselves of and are welcome at faith based schools without embracing the faith of the school,, because of academics/discipline etc. There are many non Catholics at our Catholic High School. I see no reason why a gym would be any different.

I've never been to a meet with prayer. Though a few years ago I was looking for a new invitational for our team to attend and one of them had a bit in the information about hosting an end of session prayer. It was optional, but I couldn't imagine a scenario where it wouldn't be uncomfortable for at least some in attendance. But the gym was also very upfront about it. This gym was in Region 7. I'm not opposed to the idea in general, though I do prefer to keep my faith more personal. I'm also hyper aware of things that might make people uncomfortable o hurt feelings and wouldn't want to put one of my athletes in a situation where they felt left out.
I used to live/coach in Utah at a club where most of the athletes were of the same religion and never experienced prayers at meets or in gyms. I know someone mentioned BYU upthread as a team who might possibly pray before meets due to their religious affiliation but I don't recall ever hearing a public prayer at the meets I attended there. I guess it's possible the team prayed together before the meet.

Yeah, GA's thing seemed to be that the YMCA does it so it must be OK? I don't even know. She was responding to my post about being blindsided with prayer as a session opener and how I wouldn't be going back.

I just ask for truth in advertising. If you're going to evangelize, make that obvious in your meet name or description. A large percentage of our team is Indian, and there were a ton of Sikh parents in attendance at this meet too. I wasn't the only one taken aback.

Also, as for the hand on heart thing, I was never even aware this was a thing at all until everyone attacked Gabby Douglas for it. My extremely patriotic, veteran father never put his hand on his heart, so I never did either. I still don't. I never used to see many people with their hands on their hearts during the anthem, and when I did I just assumed they were confusing it with the pledge.:D But after the Gabby witch hunt? NOW I see everyone doing it.

I have so many problems with team prayers, unless it is a team that is overtly Christian and it is clear when you join. Others on the thread have articulated why. But just like the meets...I'll just take my money elsewhere.

I've been to a meet that started with a prayer. With my religious beliefs, I loved it. The moms that didn't like it, just didn't stand and maybe played on their phones. Same with the national anthem. Some stand tall with their hand over their hearts and some sit and do something else. Doesn't bother me either way.

Legally, a private business has the right to run things as they see fit. I have noticed certain areas of the country will be more or less receptive to certain choices, but it is a judgement call like anything else about running a business, or a meet. If the customer doesn’t like it, they won’t be back.

With the American anthem, I have throughout my life been alternatively pleased or irritated or angry by various choices that were being made by various administrations. I finally decided that for me, I would have less internal anxiety if I decided that putting my hand on my heart represented a loyalty to the things America set out to be at the very, very beginning. I don’t really care what anyone else thinks it means.

Also, framing a picture of your least favorite politician, and placing it on the back of the toilet is helpful.

I do hope that wasn’t too political or religious....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back