WAG Tips on getting a Korbut/swing down back handspring?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sorry for posting a lot today :D I'm about to go back to gymnastics after the holiday break and I've been trying to find out some more info since I can't ask anyone at the gym.

So anyway, I think a good skill to train would be a Korbut, because then I couldn't fall (or it would be easier not to) because my center of balance is lower, I'm sitting on the beam, etc....

However, I've never seen anyone train them, so I don't know how hard they would be to get. I can't find any info online.

Tips? Info? Anyone compete these? Drills? Literally anything?

large.gif

The second skill is what I'm talking about

Can't remember exactly how I got taught them. But I used to have a bhs Korbut series in my beam routine. But I do remember doing bhs up onto a thick hardish mat from the floor (so feet on floor hands on end of mat) to get a more arched/shorter bhs technique for the Korbut. Starting going to normal landing then going to front/thighs. I also did bhs with mats stacked up to the beam to land with feet either side etc. Will ask my HC/boss what drills we used precisely when I go to work on Wednesday :)

My only advice is that they are not normally as easy to transition to as they seem. And you need decent upper back flexibility

Can't remember exactly how I got taught them. But I used to have a bhs Korbut series in my beam routine. But I do remember doing bhs up onto a thick hardish mat from the floor (so feet on floor hands on end of mat) to get a more arched/shorter bhs technique for the Korbut. Starting going to normal landing then going to front/thighs. I also did bhs with mats stacked up to the beam to land with feet either side etc. Will ask my HC/boss what drills we used precisely when I go to work on Wednesday :)
Thanks! I'll definitely work with the mat technique - how many panel mats? like 2 or 5? and are you supposed to land on your knees in a controlled way? like press down? Or just land?

Sorry for asking so many questions.

That's ok. Not sure on panel mats as am in the uk. So I just used 1 thick mat (probably about 8 inches) yes, start by normal feet landings. Then knees, then more of a legs on mat flat, back arched up with hands in front of hips. But any landing should be really controlled, because as you will learn if you try and land too hard/fast on the actual beam/floor beam it hurts if you land without control :)

Yeah, sorry I wasn't very clear. I know what they are. Just not how many you'd need. An easy way to work it out is to fold it up until the top of it is level with where the biggest part of your calf muscle starts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back