Tops Testing Scores - How did my daughter do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm just looking to see if anyone can tell me her final score based on her results from tops. . . or at least a guestimate . . .

Testing as an 8 yr old
right split - 14
left split - 13
bridge - 5 pts
cast handstands - 8.5 pts
handstand hold - 30 sec
sprint - 3.16 sec
jump - 17.5 inches
rope - 4 sec
press handstands - 5
leg lifts - 9

Thanks!

The actual score doesn't matter so much...it's how did she do relative to all the other 8 year olds in the country? They will take roughly the top 10 percent to testing based on what the entire group of 8 yr olds did. So one year she might make testing with say 5 presses but the next year she might not make it with 8...if she maxed out on most categories ,she should do well

Apart from her leg lifts those are pretty max scores so she has done really well. Like bookworm said it is hard to tell as it depends how everyone else does and how many take part. Tell her congratulations, we will keep our fingers crossed!

I think since 8 year olds doing to National Testing is new this year, it will be impossible to know until they announce the results to the coaches officially. Even for 9-11 year olds, it really depends on ALL the kids that tested that year and can vary greatly. Hang tight! Hopefully you will know soon. Waiting is always hard.

I'm just looking to see if anyone can tell me her final score based on her results from tops. . . or at least a guestimate . . .

Testing as an 8 yr old
right split - 14
left split - 13
bridge - 5 pts
handstand hold - 30 sec
sprint - 3.16 sec
jump - 17.5 inches
rope - 4 sec
press handstands - 5
leg lifts - 9

Thanks!

I can help, but I don't understand some of your scores. She had 8.5 POINTS on cast handstands? But she did 9 LL (not that she had 9 points)? She did 5 presses (max) or did she get 5 points on presses?

Once I hear from you, I can get pretty close on what her total score would be although the cutoffs are a mystery until they are out.

I think since 8 year olds doing to National Testing is new this year, it will be impossible to know until they announce the results to the coaches officially. Even for 9-11 year olds, it really depends on ALL the kids that tested that year and can vary greatly. Hang tight! Hopefully you will know soon. Waiting is always hard.

No, actually the points remain statistically constant and have not deviated more than .5-1.0 over the past 5 years per event. i.e., a 3.5 run for an 8yo was X points in 2005 and is X+.05 today. What changes is the cutoff.

National testing has much more variation, but regional testing is statistically solid from year to year. Plus most skills now are maxible - making year-to-year variations inconsequential. Only rope, sprint and jump are bellcurved.

Testing as an 8 yr old
right split - 14
left split - 13
bridge - 5 pts
handstand hold - 30 sec
sprint - 3.16 sec
jump - 17.5 inches
rope - 4 sec
press handstands - 5
leg lifts - 9

Thanks!

I didn't hear back from you, but here's what I have so far from what I understand from your post. You have to plus or minus 2 points from the overall score (not the individual events) plus add in the missing tests to get your 8yo's total score.

Bridge (max at 5): 5
Handstand hold (max at 30 no faults): 10
Rope (4 with no faults): 8
Jump (17.5): 10
Sprint (3.16): 9.5

No, actually the points remain statistically constant and have not deviated more than .5-1.0 over the past 5 years per event. i.e., a 3.5 run for an 8yo was X points in 2005 and is X+.05 today. What changes is the cutoff.

National testing has much more variation, but regional testing is statistically solid from year to year. Plus most skills now are maxible - making year-to-year variations inconsequential. Only rope, sprint and jump are bellcurved.

Thank you LemonLime, those were along the same lines I was thinking. I know the amount of gymnasts is unknown but other than that you can still get a really good idea of what the final score is. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I know for sure they are taking VERY FEW 8 year olds to National Testing....probably just those few who max out on all the physical abilities.

I believe if your child made it to national testing, the coaches would have been notified yesterday. If they did not qualify, the coaches need to email to get the results. My daughter did not make Nationals. She is 8 and made the gold level. Maybe this will help you figure it out:

Shoulder Flexibility 5
Splits 12.5 pts out of 15 (average of left and right leg)
Hand stand hold 26 seconds = 8pts
Cast to Hand Stands 10/10 = 10pts
Sprint 3.25 seconds = 8 pts
V Jump 15.5 inches = 7 pts
Rope climb 2.95 seconds = 9 pts
Leg lifts 20/20 = 10 pts
press to handstand 2/5 = 4 pts
She had 73.5 points

Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Confussed tops mom

WE HAVE NOT BEEN GIVEN ANY INFORMATION....

THE NOTES PERTAINING TO NATIONAL TOPS PTS PER AGE GROUP ARE THEY FROM A RELIABLE SOURCE?

I GUESS WE WILL BE NOTIFIED BY END OF WEEK!:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they are reliable. If you look on the USA gymnastics website you will see that they have completed the results. Coaches need to email to get them. I saw the results for our gym, along with the cut offs for each age group.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back