Trouble with press handstands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been trying to learn how to do a press handstand since I started this year at level 3 (i didn't start at 1 because i did tumbling for 2 years)

Any tips? Pleeeaase help i need you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Try some in the water, I got the idea from another thread. Go as deep as you need to be and do some, once they are easy go shallower and do some more, until they are easy and so one. This way you get the feel for it with help and you are working on your strengh. Also try some in the water on a pool noodle, this might help with the pressing down feeling, or presses on a beam, but if you do this go deep, so that is you fall you aren't hitting rocks, or the pool bottom.
http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/skills-drills-forum/29875-presses-water.html

Try some in the water, I got the idea from another thread. Go as deep as you need to be and do some, once they are easy go shallower and do some more, until they are easy and so one. This way you get the feel for it with help and you are working on your strengh. Also try some in the water on a pool noodle, this might help with the pressing down feeling, or presses on a beam, but if you do this go deep, so that is you fall you aren't hitting rocks, or the pool bottom.
http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/skills-drills-forum/29875-presses-water.html
you can also try diong standing presses you can go against a wall until u get the balance and strenght for it

press to headstand tuck, straddle, pike.

elevated press to HeS (put ur head on a mat). this can be somewhat uncomfortable to the neck muscles

press downs on the wall. get into a HS and focus on lowering down for 4-7s. the farther away your hands are, the easier it is but the more stress it puts on your wrists. use parallettes (pushup bars) or turn your fingers out or back.

when you get good at the above you can try pressing back up from the lowest point you can hold for 2-3s. lower from HS to that point, hold, then press up.

you can also try bent arm HS wall presses against the wall. sometimes easier since the lever is shorter unless you can't hold the bent arm HS as well.

Kick to a handstand and straddle DOWN. The negative part of this skill (going down) done slowly is GREAT for the going up part, too.

Good Luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back