Parents Trying to get excited about the meet this weekend.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my4buffaloes

Proud Parent
This will be our first hotel stay for a meet. 8:00 am start on Sunday and it is a 2.5 hr drive from home. My dh tried to talk me into just going down for the day, but really, getting up at 4 am is not my idea of fun and I can't imagine dd will be at her best after that.

Trying to make it fun and special for dd, as it will just be her and I, but I hate staying in hotels and am not looking forward to it. Maybe I am not cut out for this gymnastics life LOL. Hoping this is the only one for this season. Just 1 more meet that a hotel stay might be required for and I have my fingers crossed of a middle of the day time slot.

Anyone else hate staying overnight for meets?

I do!! we do stay when the meet is an 8 am start! tho this weekend it is close and not untill 5:30 Sunday night!
This will be our last meet of the season and I think it is a huge one!!

I can't say I like the 8am start time but the hotel stay can be fun. I enjoy the one on one time with my dd. If you are staying with other teammates that can be fun. I have had some of my best conversations with my dds when we are traveling alone in the car or alone at dinner. There are no distractions like the phone, computer, or sisters!

We have the same situation for DDs next meet except there is no way we can afford a hotel stay, so we are waking up super early and driving to the meet. It is her first "travel" meet, in our state, but 2 hours away. She is excited about it. We are going to drive up with a friend (she is like a sister to me) and that is making it seem more "fun" to get up so early. LOL. I sleep horrible in hotels, but I sleep horrible the night before an early meet anyway (sleep fine when she doesn't have an early start time, I am so afraid to oversleep!), so I don't know what would be worse.

Hope you can find a way to make it fun and maybe enjoy it yourself!! :) I know that we will all be exhausted when we get home from the meet that day, we are not morning people. :)

We have always enjoyed the hotel stays; lots of swimming and pool fun for the girls. HC has tried to schedule our travel meets in the South or South West so we can get away from winter for a few days. We have been to Arizona twice, Florida twice, Nevada and South Carolina and on these trips we add a few extra days so we can have a mini vacation in a warm place. We have added Disney World, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, the Pink Jeep desert tour and Mexico to these meets. You are right about the money but it has been a lot of fun. About the worry about waking up - ask the desk to give you a wakeup call at 6:00 or whatever time you need to be up and ask them to keep ringing until you answer. I'm sure they will be happy to.

All of our meets are "hotel" meets. We enjoy it because the whole team is together. But we're usually there for longer than just the one night, though (we have to fly overseas), so we do get to schedule team meals, shopping trips etc., or the girls just have rowdy pool games together. I don't sleep that well in a hotel, but I do enjoy the camaraderie of us all being there and being away from home.

If I were you I'd get there before dinner and have a nice dinner with just the two of you, unless you know other team members who will be staying over, in which case try to do a team dinner maybe? That will help all the girls get psyched up, though be warned that if they are too excited they won't get to bed early!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back