WAG Tumbling Issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi so my problem is that my tumbling is really slow and I don't use the bounce in the floor so I'm just doing standing tumbling almost. My round off back handspring is really good, and same with FHS (rebound like two feet in the air) but as soon as I throw a salto in there, I start to bend my knees and just jump using the power in my legs, not the actual rebound.
Problem is, I have very strong legs from years of running cross country, so I can get away with this standing tumbling this up to the point of having a layout and almost twisting, but I KNOW my tumbling could be great if I could get this rebounding going!! I can do FHS Front Full off trak, so why not even a front handspring front tuck on floor?!
Any ideas for help with this?? Maybe drills I could try to punch properly? My coaches are having me tumble a lot of just robhs rebound and fhs rebound to really practice the straight knees when punching and tumbling with straighter legs on tumbl trak and the bungee ramp.
Any other thoughts would be very much appreciated!!

Are you landing flat-footed or on the balls of your feet? Not sure the distinction matters much, but DD used to have this problem with only her front tumbling...She has amazing speed and power but front tumbling never clicked for her until her coach realized one day that she was landing her front handspring flat-footed and thus was sending all her momentum straight into the floor. Once she began landing her FHS on the balls of her feet her front salto is so high she actually has time to open up well before her feet hit the ground.

I definitely land light footed because without trying to add the salto I'm rebound like two feet in the air... Maybe I switch to flat feet when I try adding the flip? I'll try to really think about staying on my toes throughout. thank you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back