Vault mental block?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey, so last competition season I was a level 5 and I was one of the strongest vaulters on my team. After I got moved up, we were only working pit vault with a mini tramp. Two coaches also made me change my run because my coach said my step-step-power hurdle and then starting to run was "wasting to much power." So therefore I had to adjust my run, along with that, one of the coaches who isn't even my head coach or co-coach made us put in an arm circle on the board. The thing is, hardly none of the girls do one. I had ended up practicing it so much that yesterday when I tried going over the vault with the airboard onto an 8-inch I completely freaked out and hit my butt and then my back on the end of the vault (it now hurts to walk) and now I am COMPLETELY terrified. My friends and family are telling me to do it my way, but then I know the coaches will try to change it. What should I do? Has this happened to you guys? Thanks!:eek::confused:

Trust your coaches. Every change they've asked for makes total sense, even the arm circle called for by the "not head coach or co-coach". They'll do their best to help you, but you have to give up the past techniques for their help to do any good. If you were a good vaulter at level 5, let them help you be a great vaulter at level 6.

Talk to them about how to rebuild your confidence after the "crash" you took the other day. It was probably just a freak thing that happens to all of us from time to time. I hope it wasn't a freak thing caused by you approaching the board with a bunch of doubtful thoughts in your head. If so, you just fullfilled your own "prophecy".

Believing is the most powerfull tool a gymnast can have, get it and use it.

My DD has had her run "fixed" many times in practice. An arm circle is pretty standard. If someone doesn't do one in DD's gym, they'll hear about it ;) I think it's just going to take some time for you to make these adjustments.

When I was learning to vault with the arm circle, it was the hardest thing ever to get used to, because then I got so caught up in trying to remember to arm circle, that my vault would go kuputz. Now I don't even realize I do it, it's such second nature. One great drill that helped with THAT aspect, just run, hurdle onto board and straight jump with the arm circle. Follow the coaches advice, it just takes getting used to. As far as the fear, I agree with talking to your coaches so they can help you find a way around it. Maybe just having a "confidence spot" as I like to call it, simply having the coach there at the table as you vault, to know they can help you not get hurt, until you build the confidence that you are fine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back