WAG Vault running

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is a young level 7, she is on the younger side of 7 years old. She is just starting to train this level and when she trains vault her coaches and us notice that when she runs she's fast until about her last 4-5 steps prior to the spring board, where she is then shuffle stepping then punching on the spring board. This slowing down and shuffle stepping is hurting her scores and training. We can't figure out how to fix it. Any suggestions???

Is she 7 years old or is she training level 7? That will make a big difference to the coaches who respond here.

Hard to imagine in a gym where thy are training 7 year old L7's that they have never encountered this issue. Did they ask you for a solution?

No, she is 7 years old and yes she is training level 7. They didn't ask me but I have noticed she has done this every level she has been in. I just don't know why. I asked her if the coaches noticed and she said yes and they keep telling her not to shuffle but she said she can't figure out how to stop.

Oh and she is doing the handspring vault but preparing for the twist. They have been practicing the twist off the vault just haven't applied it to the vault yet.

I would not get involved in something as complex as coaching the vault steps. It is complex and a good coach can fix his. Parents giving advice can confuse a gymnast.

True, we did just move gyms too and her coaches have just noticed it. Maybe I was just frustrated because her old coaches never did anything to fix it. We are at a great gym with great coaching so your right I'm sure if they noticed it they will address it. Coaching my daughter is one thing I never do. Mostly because I don't understand the terminology and I was never a gymnast. Thanks for the advice.

I wouldn't be too worried at this point.

It will come with time. She is only 7 after all. I didn't realize you had changed gyms, there is always a period of adjustment for everyone.

D's coaches are still working on his vault run. They keep saying he will get it one day, but we never know. He seems to find it at good times (regionals) but not always. Now that he is moving into harder vaults, I am hoping he will get it sooner rather than later! I bet your little one will get it soon too.

As I was reading through the thread, it just kept sounding worse and worse. I just about jumped out of my shoes..... right before you said she'd recently switched to this gym. Whew, I hope they get this figured out and fixed soon so she can start learning how to vault with the amount of run energy it takes to get things done.

I would not get involved in something as complex as coaching the vault steps. It is complex and a good coach can fix his. Parents giving advice can confuse a gymnast.

that ^^^and she shouldn't be doing a handspring full (twisting) until the run is perfect and consistently established.

Yeah they haven't even thought about bringing the twist element to the vault and I think 1- it's because of the running and 2- it's because of the actual twist. She has a ways to go to perfect that element alone let alone putting them together. Thanks for everyone's input.

She should be taught proper steps pattern. Hopefully whoever is coaching vault knows how to do this. I would hope so.

Even once she figures out her proper steps, it will take a lot of stern words from the coach getting her to stop her stutter stepping. " Don't do it. " and " Try again. " It takes a bit of time to tweak even after measuring her steps adjusting it by a few inches back or forward until it is right. And over time, it still needs to be tweaked as they run faster, get stronger, or taller.

Honestly though, this is the job of the coaches and there is not much you can do from the stands. Most coaches would not take kindly if you inquired " Has she taken a proper measurement of her steps and got it down pat? "

BlairBob- to be honest I'm not sure what her coaches have done. I have always noticed the shuffle but I would NEVER approach the coach because its not my place. We recently switched gyms and where we are going is extremely serious regarding their training plus they are very well known along with their coaches. What's funny is she was vaulting the other night and when one of the assistant coaches were spotting on vault she was shuffling, he stepped away and the main coach stepped in and her entire demeanor changed and the shuffle disappeared. I ask her if she knows she's doing it and she says yes, I asked her if the coaches noticed it and she said yes but as far as saying anything I'm not that parent. As far as she goes I just tell her to keep running but I would never approach a coach ever! I was just asking here to see what types of things worked for others but I dare not interfere with their coaching.

You ought to lovingly give your dear daughter the "what for," or at least tell her that every vault done at the end of a shuffle run is a complete waste of energy...... and who wouldn't rather use their energy instead of wasting it?

Yeah I would never approach a coach EVER!! It is not my place. I asked her if she knew she was doing it, she said yes. I asked her if the coaches noticed it and she said yes. So all I say is "run". Then with switching to this new gym it's a very well known training facility with a well known coaching staff and when she was vaulting the other night with the assistant coach she was doing the shuffle thing, then he had to step away and the main coach stepped in and her entire demeanor changed and shock the shuffle disappeared. I was just hoping to see what advice people had, not that I would EVER mess with their coaching nor would I ever say anything to them.

Wow I think I posted twice... Epic failure..but iwannacoach that is a great idea and something I can actually say as a parent that won't interfere with their coaching. Thank you so much!! What you said is so true, it basically is wasted energy. I'm glad I found something I can say without sounding like I'm getting in the way of coaching her or jumping in and approaching the coaches. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you :)

So...... may I assume there's a check in the mail???? Gift card???? Family photo???? Oh! No! Wait for it......... A 10% share of endorsement income after she "hits it big time" in the 2020 olympics. ;) :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back