Parents Viewing blocked for 4 year olds.. this is wrong!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gyms have huge liability issues which is only compounded in your case by being in a public leisure centre. My daughter's gym is all about allowing parents watch their children; however, videotaping is prohibited to protect the privacy of the children. At the summer camp, pick up procedures of kids are extremely stringent, requiring presentation of identification. I'm a frequent figure at the gym but I still need to show my driver's license when I fetch my daughter from camp. When it comes to children, erring on the side of caution is the only way to go.
Thanks, they have formal procedure for collecting children, they all line up and are passed over to parents individually. They have to be cautious I agree, but we have greater responsibility for our children.

Our schools, camps and daycares, require proof of ID and signatures. And you have to listed as a pickup person on the childs list.

Is it normal for some places yes for some no. You are free to choose.

I would not leave my 4 yr old anywhere where I couldn't just pop in. And it s*cks big time that one person ruined it for everyone, but kids privacy is important.

Our gym prefers you don't stay, and will cover viewing glass at times (mock meet comes to mind, they don't want the kids distracted).
I agree kids shouldn't be distracted, but don't feel they are at our club. Yes one person ruined for all, I'm not the only one complaining.

If my kid were 4 and I really wanted to watch her do her gymnastics (and I would at that age), I would just go to a gym that allowed parent viewing (it's not like you're leaving gym team your kid as been on their whole life).

It's not uncommon for gyms around me to prohibit parent viewing for team classes, but no watching of a rec class for 4 year olds? - that's a little unusual IMO - at that age you want to see what's going on for a variety of reasons. I'd feel the same about almost any other activity at that age too - not just gymnastics.
Totally agree! As replied to another we are very close family and we want to see her learn new skills as well as obvious protection issues.

I personally would not be comfortable not being allowed to watch my preschooler in an activity. When DD was 4, her dance studio had windows with 2 way mirrors where parents could observe without the lids knowing they were there. My children's preschool had the same setup. Swimming, football, baseball, etc all had open viewing.

DD's gym has bleachers where rec and team parents can watch. They ask the team parents to limit their watchi g because there are so many rec parents and they really want to accomodate them. Plus, who wants to watch their child or their child's friend working some of thos optionals skills (gives me anxiety).

I believe that it protects the child and the adult to havs open viewing. Most of the gyms we have been in have open areas where parents can watch.
Good point about protecting kids AND ADULTS to have open viewing, complete visibility.

I would also not like to be prevented from viewing my children's gym class/practice. At the gym facility my kids go to, all parents (Kinder, rec, team, it does not matter) are allowed to stay and there is lots of bleacher space (although it does get crowded on busy nights!) Parents are not to ever go on the floor, of course, but you can see the whole gym without doing so.

Of course not all facilities are going to have this kind of space. But it sounds like your facility does have a viewing area. It has just been turned into a non-viewing area.

In my experience, basically all parents/caregivers watch the little ones in kinder gym. And in a few years of watching 2 different kids in kindergym, I have not noticed that distraction is a problem. Yes, the kids sometimes wave or run to mom for a drink of water or whatever. So what? It is kindergym.

If you otherwise like this facility, why not call them up and talk to them? They may have made a knee-jerk decision and need to hear another angle. On the other hand, maybe they will be able to convince you that in this particular circumstance the window coverings are appropriate and come up with some compromise that you feel comfortable with.

If videotaping is the real reason for the windows being covered, perhaps they can prohibit it and enforce that rule. If the issue is that the facility is open to the general public, maybe they can make the viewing area or the space in front of the windows "for parents/caregivers of class participants only."
Thanks for reply. I have spoken to them and no hint of compromise, coverings in place for" foreseeable future". Someone did video, but this is sledgehammer to crack nut. So many other solutions.

Was the person videoing his/her own child? I video all the time, as do a lot of the parents at our gym. I even videoed one of my son's teammates when his mom wasn't there to see him do his new skill. It is never even an issue.

Sounds like either the gym overreacted or a parent did, which caused the gym to have to.

I can see this from both sides. (I'm in the UK too). I have seen plenty of cases of children being distracted and looking up to Mum rather than listening to the coach, and of parents trying to coach, or just manage what they are doing through the window. So I get that there are benefits to not being able to watch.

However, I know that at 4 I wanted to be able to see what my child was doing and help to build that trust in the class they were doing. I've heard people say that you shouldn't leave them if you don't trust the coaches, but in a completely new environment you have nothing to base that gut instinct on. So by watching practice in the early days you would build up confidence and respect for the coaches, enabling you to leave them happily as they get a bit older. My children didn't do gym at that age, but I went through it with other activities.

BG have a policy regarding an 'Open Training Environment'. They recognise that it is not always practical to have a viewing area, but I think it means that the club should try to accommodate you if you request to watch some sessions in these early days. Maybe a polite request to watch a couple of sessions would put your mind at rest. And from friends' experiences I think that is more opportunity than you would get with a ballet class.
Thanks, visiting was available for first few weeks then, without warning blocked

Was the person videoing his/her own child? I video all the time, as do a lot of the parents at our gym. I even videoed one of my son's teammates when his mom wasn't there to see him do his new skill. It is never even an issue.

Sounds like either the gym overreacted or a parent did, which caused the gym to have to.
Think was not even parent, and older class, but could do without blocking all.

Thanks for all responses, much appreciated! I think we will be removing daughter from club if cannot watch her. Compromise should be possible, but they don't appear to be open to this.

if you are looking for a new club you can use the BG club finder on their website, alternatively there are lots of us who have experience with lots of UK clubs who may be able to point you in the right direction if you let us know your area

Videoing in the Uk is treated as a huge safeguarding issue.

It may seem "sledgehammer to crack a nut", but if they have kids who need protection- adopted, fostered, a child who cannot have contact with certain adults- then they are absolutely within their rights to do this. A video or photo on someones FB could lead to the child being identified, even if the child is in the background.

You could PM one of us UKers- where in the country are you? There's usually someone who knows clubs reputations and whether you should be concerned or not.

I am a coach at two clubs, one allows viewing, one doesn't (no windows). Honestly the kids at the non-viewing club are far easier to coach, they look at me after a skill for feedback, not the viewing gallery. I don't have parents coaching from the stands, or telling their kids they must do x skill tonight so they can video for Facebook. Not only is it a PITA, it can be a safety concern as I don't have kids wanting to chuck stuff they're not ready for, or parents telling them to make sure their arms are up when I need them down.

I agree though you need to know your child is being treated well. Why not ask the club if there are any other ways parents can feel confident their children are in good hands. Something like invite all parents of under 6's into the gym once every couple of months, provided all phones and recording devices are left at the door. They can sit quietly, and be removed if any issues.

Tricky issue. My feeling is viewing is a good idea but slightly removed (through windows etc not on floor) but video and photo absolutely no. That should be done with permission in the gym with the coach there. Preferably the coach doing it. But competitions and displays should be open viewing and photos and videos.

With the little ones it is nice to be around but they do get distracted if parents too close. Also agree with Faith that parental interference is a problem. It really is. It can impact in so many ways, on the coaching, on the child's progress, on the other children in the group, on the other parents watching. It can and does destroy trust and whip up discontent just as much as not viewing can.

All in the management.

Yes, they are looking at from cold protection point view, but could have achieved in better way e.g blocking some windows, sitting next to and simply stopping people filming. Also curtains just appeared no prior communication.

I can understand the frustration. And I'm not sure how I'd feel if it was my child and me in this situation. Especially with the changing of the rules after your DD began.

I think it would depend some on the extent of the circumstances. Did they politely ask the person to stop taping and they refused or argued their rights? Was it over multiple occasions/parents? I can't help wondering if maybe it was more than one incident to lead to such a big, swift policy change.

Could it have been handled differently? I'm sure. You can argue it, embrace it, and/or move your hard-earned dollars to different business/activity that you can believe in. But I don't necessarily think that it was malicious and meant to hurt the 'good' parents and children. Perhaps they genuinely viewed it as necessary.

This absolutely sounds like a protection thing. If I heard some rando was filming kids during any sort of class id be relieved that the people in charge took immediate action. As others have said, if it really bothers you that your unable to view your child during practice, go to a place that has a secure viewing area :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back