Parents What AA score -move up to level 4?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SHELOVESGYM

Proud Parent
I know that it's not all about AA score but I'm trying to gage the likelihood of my DD moving up to level 4. She did not generally score/place well but had one or two decent meets and seems to have made a lot of progress since meet season ended and is starting to get some of the level 4 skills. What sort of scores have you seen move up and what sort of scores not move up?

Our gym had a requirement of a 38 to move up. We have new owners and it is now coach recommendation. My daughter has come very close to that 38, but not nailed it yet. 37.95.... She is moving to level 5 in January, because she has all of her skills (consistantly) for level 5. The gym we were at before, moved girls typically each season. If they didn't have all their skills they went to Xcel. I think it just depends on the gym's philosophy on how they want to do it.

You really just need to ask your gym. I've read everything here. Some gyms have move-up scores, some have skill deadlines, some just move everyone up, some make girls repeat every level, some have different policies for older/younger kids, etc. etc. etc. Your daughter could have received a 38 and need to repeat or gotten a 34 and automatically move up. It all depends on the gym.

Our gym had a requirement of a 38 to move up. We have new owners and it is now coach recommendation. My daughter has come very close to that 38, but not nailed it yet. 37.95.... She is moving to level 5 in January, because she has all of her skills (consistantly) for level 5. The gym we were at before, moved girls typically each season. If they didn't have all their skills they went to Xcel. I think it just depends on the gym's philosophy on how they want to do

I can not even imagine a requirement like that. I looked and there were only 16 L3s and only 4 L4s in our entire state who made a 38 at States. I am sure more girls made a 38 at other meets during the season, but still only a handful of girls in the entire state would move up if everyone had a similar requirement.

Our gym had a requirement of a 38 to move up. We have new owners and it is now coach recommendation. My daughter has come very close to that 38, but not nailed it yet. 37.95.... She is moving to level 5 in January, because she has all of her skills (consistantly) for level 5. The gym we were at before, moved girls typically each season. If they didn't have all their skills they went to Xcel. I think it just depends on the gym's philosophy on how they want to do it.

Wow that is insane. No one at our gym would ever move up anywhere. No one at any gym around here would ever move up anywhere!

By USAG there is no official score to move to L4. L4 is the first level you must compete and score out of. So it is up to the gym/coach.

By USAG rules L4-L7 score out is 31, after that 34. Again any thing more then that is a gym/coach requirement.

Our gym it is skill based, you need all the skills of the level to move. Personally not a fan of minimum scores beyond the official USAG ones and think it should be a skill bases decision. 38 is completely ridiculous to me.

I agree with the others--every gym has its own policy. At our gym, it's a combination of score + skills + overall readiness.

A move-up score of 38 is insane to me. I just went back to look--when my DD was in compulsories, there were exactly two old Level 4s (current L3) in the entire state who scored over 38. And when my DD was a L5 (current L4), there were ZERO girls who scored a 38. I knew we lived in a lower scoring state, but this just proves it!

Out of curiosity, I checked the stats for each of DD's level like ShesAMonkey did. These stats are for all kids across our state, not just our gym.

In old L3, 4% would have been able to move up.
In old L5, less than 1% would have moved up because only 1 girl made a 38.
In new L6, none would have moved up.
In L7, none would have moved up.

My DD would not survive at OP's gym!

Well, the 38 was for any meet not state. Sorry if I didn't explain it well. And yes, I found it crazy to have it that high. I was very glad for the new owners because of this. She would have to repeat the entire year at that level with the old owners no matter if she got the skills or not even with her best score.

Every gym is definitely different. At our gym
L3 to L4 - score 33.0 at least 2x. Have a "potential high score" of 34+ and have no more than two missing skills (total - over all events) OR score 34.0 at least 2x with a potential high score of 36+ and no more than three missing skills.

L4 to L5 - score 31.0 at least 2x with a potential high score of 33+ and no more than two missing skills OR score 34.0 at least 2x and no more than three missing skills in the summer or one missing skill in December.

L5 to L6 - score 31.0 at least 2x.

L6 to L7 - score 34.0 at least 6x with a potential high score of 36+ and have all the skills for L7.

L7 to L8 - score 34.0 at least 6x with a potential high score of 36+ and have 4 A's and 4 B's per event.

Well, the 38 was for any meet not state. Sorry if I didn't explain it well. And yes, I found it crazy to have it that high. I was very glad for the new owners because of this. She would have to repeat the entire year at that level with the old owners no matter if she got the skills or not even with her best score.

I understand this. But theoretically, girls should be peaking at state and those should be among the highest of the season. I only used the state scores because it was easiest to go and look at just that one meet in each of my DD's season. Is it common for girls in your area to score 38, or is this some crazy unattainable goal set by your gym? Do they lose a lot of girls because of that move-up requirement?

I looked at a fee meets other than States as well. Most of the girls who got a 38 at L3 or L4 States were the same ones getting 38s at other meets. But, at Buckeye Classic not a single L4 got a 38 and only 1-2% of L3s did. This was pretty consistent in my state across the 1/2 dozen meets I looked at. Less than 1% of the girls who attended States at L3 or L4 would move up with the 38 rule.

First, SHELOVESGYM I agree with the others that each gym has their own criterion for move ups. At our gym getting at least a 34.5 multiple times seems to be required for level 3 to 4. 4 to 5 and 5 to optionals, I'm not sure.

Poodlemomma - you've already acknowledged that the 38 is extreme. I am curios though, how many girls moved up each year at your gym when this was required? How common was a 38 in your area?

In my state they are very rare. At many meets no 2-5s got a 38. One 38 at a meet might happen. Even at states there were about 5 at level 3, 3 at level 4 and NONE at level 5. I cannot find single level 5 who scored a 38 all season in my state and I am in a pretty high powered gym area.

My daughter was only under that rule one year as we transferred from another gym to this one. 3 girls from level 4 would have moved up. Those girls left the gym when it was bought out last summer. I believe it was all 3 of the girls' second year at level 4, but I am not certain. My daughter would have moved up under the new owners this year, if she had had her level 5 skills. She did not. So we started the year at level 4 again due to lack of skills and not for not having a high enough score. She now has her skills and will start competing level 5 in January.

I will say those 3 girls were very good. They always scored over 36 and had 2 or more 38s each through out that last season. I think their parents were CGP. They all did private lessons, parents knew every fraction of a point that might come off and how to fix it. They weren't happy with the more lax owners attitudes. The pulled their girls to go to a gym that had "more seasoned coaches." It is a very strange and "uppity" town that I now live in.

One last thing, none of those girls seemed to smile much towards the end of the season last year. Way to much to put on a young girl, I think. Sorry to go off topic of original poster.

As far as I know, dd's gym doesn't have a required move up score. After the state meet (tomorrow!), all the level 3's will begin learning and training all the level 4 skills. They will train for level 4 until May at which point they will either move up to level 4 or stay in level 3 (if they don't have all the level 4 skills). Last year they only had 1 girl repeat level 3 and she was injured for a lot of her season. I think they definitely don't encourage repeating unless they really aren't ready.

I agree that 38 seems like an incredibly high score requirement. 38's aren't exactly rare here, but they aren't that common either. Of our current level 3's only 1 has scored 38 so far this season, with only the state meet left. Most of the rest of the team has scored 37+ though, so they are all doing well. But 38 is hard to get!

OP, can you look at mymeetscores and see the scores/placements of the girls that repeated this year versus changing levels? Maybe that would give an idea of your gym's general philosophy.

My daughter was only under that rule one year as we transferred from another gym to this one. 3 girls from level 4 would have moved up. Those girls left the gym when it was bought out last summer. I believe it was all 3 of the girls' second year at level 4, but I am not certain. My daughter would have moved up under the new owners this year, if she had had her level 5 skills. She did not. So we started the year at level 4 again due to lack of skills and not for not having a high enough score. She now has her skills and will start competing level 5 in January.

I will say those 3 girls were very good. They always scored over 36 and had 2 or more 38s each through out that last season. I think their parents were CGP. They all did private lessons, parents knew every fraction of a point that might come off and how to fix it. They weren't happy with the more lax owners attitudes. The pulled their girls to go to a gym that had "more seasoned coaches." It is a very strange and "uppity" town that I now live in.

One last thing, none of those girls seemed to smile much towards the end of the season last year. Way to much to put on a young girl, I think. Sorry to go off topic of original poster.
Thanks for the answers. One, I believe you are in a state with a long season, Fall to Spring? So mid-season move-ups make more sense. It does sound though like the 38 rule was one of the things that put a lot pr pressure on those kids. It probably breeds the CGP - if you are feeling pressured to score that high then you would start to be very aware of every possible deduction. I;m glad for you dd's sake that the new owner is operating differently.

To OP, these are generalizations that I have made based on observations at our gym. The bottom line at our gym is the coaches decide who moves up and who repeats. There's no hard fast rule for move ups, but generally,
Below 33 AA, most likely repeat
33s-34, probably repeat, but could move up with a 'skill-spurt' in off season
34s-35s, probably move up, but not if missing skills
36+, most likely move up

To OP, these are generalizations that I have made based on observations at our gym. The bottom line at our gym is the coaches decide who moves up and who repeats. There's no hard fast rule for move ups, but generally,
36+, most likely move up

This seems to be true of DDs gym as well.

36+, most likely move up

This is true at our gym and general area as well. I don't think I have ever personally known or known of a gymnast who got a 38 - I can't imagine what things would be like around me if that was a requirement to move up. There are many who are just not capable of the type of AA perfection that a 38 requires, and I don't think the inability to get a 38 at one level means that the same gymnast is incapable of getting a 36+ the next higher level, so it's just not necessary IMO.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back