Parents What AA score -move up to level 4?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We see a lot of 38's in our region but they are still not the norm by any means . They seem to be a lot more common in the lower levels than higher levels. I think that's a pretty drastic move up requirement. Our gym is pretty strict about move ups as well, but I don't think they would make anyone scoring over a mid 36 repeat if they had the skills for the next level. I hope that's not the requirement for optional levels as 38's seem to be pretty rare in levels 6 and up.

To the OP I agree with the others that say it widely varies by gym. A lot of gyms make girls repeat who are scoring in the 34 range and under but others would let them move up. Just like most gyms would move up girls scoring 36 plus but some make these girls repeat as well. Have you talked to your dd's coach to get an idea of what plans she has for your dd? Even if she has to repeat hopefully she will still get to train some higher level skills as well.

The gym my kids goto typically have kids do 2 years in each compulsory level (in the parent handbook), however they sometimes move kids up after one year. My kids whole team repeated level 3 this season. ODD consistently scored 36, YDD consistently scored 33 all last season. They will move up to 4 after states next weekend. The gym is great about uptraining!! My daughters both have level 5 skills now and competed their kip all season. So honestly worked well for them this year. The HC has already mentioned that the girls will probably only do one season of level 4. Don't stress too much over move ups. I did last year and it drove me insane. I am trying to be more chill this year. Because it's not about me, it's about the girls. And as long as my girls are happy... I am happy for them :)

Both the gym DD competes for now, and her old gym, do move ups based on skills.

That said, I just looked and no more than 2 in any compulsory level scored 38+ at the last two compulsory state meets. Even in optionals, only level 7 had more than 2 kids in the state championship with a 38+. We'd have huge level 3 teams if the gyms around here used that criteria for moving up. :)

I thought of this thread last night when I was looking at the scores for the level 3 state meet yesterday in my state. One girl scored a 39.275 AA! She got a 10 on vault, 9.8 on bars and floor and 9.675 on beam. I wish that I had been at her session as I would love to see her routines. She's been routinely scoring in the mid 38's all season, but wow! Maybe 39+ are common in other states (?), but they are pretty rare here. Most of the winning scores were in the mid 37's-low 38's depending on the age group.

Wow, we just had a meet over the weekend and 1st AA in all age groups only scored in the 35's! Our scores seem to be very low the last few years. It amazes me to see other people in different regions post a routine with a score in 9's or especially high 9's. The last season and the start of this year we rarely see a 9 at a meet. With that said, our gym lists a 35 move up score to move up but I'm learning it's really about each individual girl and what skills they have for the next level. You MUST have all skills consistently to compete the next level without spotting or scratching an event. That also means you can be a girl that scored a 37-38 as a level 3 but missing the cartwheel on beam or inconsistent kip = repeating level 3 again.

Reactions: sce
If you are winning states, you are pretty much doing it with 38s or higher. Pretty much at any level.

However if the majority of gymnasts were scoring 38's you would need high 39s to regularly win at states.

See the logic here :rolleyes:, 38s are not easy to achieve.

Probably easier and more common at a lower level.

Also to note, factor in training hours. JMO, I find there are many gyms where little kids at L3 are training a ton of hours, so of course they will be getting 39s.

I would rather my kid score a bit lower and not have to live in the gym, but that is just me.

At a meet, the gyms at the meet will reflect the scores, different set of gyms different scores. If stronger gyms are at the meet there will be stronger scores.

Also when the meet is will reflect the scores. They should and usually do go up as the season continues and you get closer to states. So I would expect those 35s to be more like 37s and 38s by state time.

And the 36-38 kids are going to be high 38s and 39s by state time.

Lower levels will score higher (generally). A BHS is easier then a tuck which is easier then twists and doubles. And again factor in training hours.

So yes there will be more 39s and 38s at a lower level.

And if those are the scores that are taking top places at states, they are not the "average"

Eh, it really depends on the meet. Everyone knows that some meets are notorious for granting cookies and ice cream to anyone who can stay on the equipment. Others are equally notorious for their judges' lack of familiarity with the "small error" deduction. Scores only make sense in relative terms within each meet. Some of the most silly high scores I have seen are at the beginning of season "let's have a home invy and get everyone qualified for states right off the bat" and at those "last chance" state qualifiers.

Oh, and those pommel horse scores from last weekend. LOL!!!!!!!

If you are winning states, you are pretty much doing it with 38s or higher. Pretty much at any level.

I assume in your state? Even at level 3 here, a 38 was rare! High 37 was more commonly a first place, but some 36s as well., even at states. By level 5, as far as I can tell, no one got a 38 all season, in the whole state (well we're half a state but considered a state for gymnastics.)

Just did some random checking across states and levels. Really no time to nit pick through each and every one, but at least 10ish states. 38s and 39 s happen frequently and where they didn't they were better then 37.5.

It really isn't a rarity.

Huh. I just looked at my state's results from last season again. For Levels 5-10, scores of 38 and above constituted 1.6% of all scores registered at the meets. And this is not a small N state -- this is just over 1300 scores. But perhaps you define rare differently than I do.

I'm not particularly interested in fighting over this, but I do think it's useful that people have a correct perspective on score distributions.

Huh. I just looked at my state's results from last season again. For Levels 5-10, scores of 38 and above constituted 1.6% of all scores registered at the meets. And this is not a small N state -- this is just over 1300 scores. But perhaps you define rare differently than I do.

I'm not particularly interested in fighting over this, but I do think it's useful that people have a correct perspective on score distributions.

Uhh really,

I didn't say they were common for gymnasts as in all gymnasts to attain a score of 38.

I said that it was common for the top state finishers to score that high at a state (as in state championship)meet.

That was exactly my point. Expecting a score of 38 to move up a level is ridiculous for exactly that reason.

However if the majority of gymnasts were scoring 38's you would need high 39s to regularly win at states.

See the logic here 38s are not easy to achieve.

IM (not so humble) O, scores are not relevant. Move ups are based on skills, coaches, and gymnast. Period. It stinks if people repeat, but that is life. I am not going to get upset that a boy repeating is beating my boy that is not. It stinks, and we might say, "yeah, but he is repeating" but that is that.

Just my $.02 :)

OP- as you may have realized move ups vary greatly from gym to gym.

As for the lengthy tangent due to the one gym that had a 38 score requirement. That is clearly rare, as are 38s in general. If a state has 350 girls at stars and the top 1-2 girls per age group get a 38. Then we are talking 1%-2%, of the state,attaining such a score. In that case few girls would ever move up a level. Or would have to repeat many times to get to that score.

Have they mastered the skills in the next level, that is all that matters.
Some gyms have requirements for moving up to train for the next level. The decision is made at the end of the season and the kids move to the the new training group soon after the season end. Like for my dd, she just finished her level 3 season and is moving in January to the level 4 group. She does not have all her 4 skills, but will be training 4 and in May the coach will assess who has the skills to compete the level the coming fall.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back