WAG What happened with Jordan Chiles?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Scoring is weird. It's obvious she made a mistake, but she still scores high enough to place 4th on beam over much cleaner routines. I understand the international scoring, but it has allowed for messy routines to score higher than clean ones based on how many skills they can pack in, regardless of how well than can perform them.

Just my opinion. I'm not trying to start an argument or putting down Miss Chiles, She's a lovely gymnast.

I think she is a good gymnast and seems like a nice young lady, but that wolf turn was a mess and even in her subsequent turns she put her foot down early on. I think they should have deducted much more than they did (says the mom who knows nothing about scoring and deductions :)).

no, I figured that. I mean what was it rated at? including connection value
Single wolf is B(0.2), triple turn is E(0.5), directly connecting the two is worth 0.1. She wouldn't have counted the wolf as one of her counting elements(has enough others of equal or higher value) so 0.6 total value. She usually does a double wolf as her only turn, which is a D worth 0.4.

Reactions: sce
I think she is a good gymnast and seems like a nice young lady, but that wolf turn was a mess and even in her subsequent turns she put her foot down early on. I think they should have deducted much more than they did (says the mom who knows nothing about scoring and deductions :)).
I didn't see her put her foot down early in the triple? Am I missing something?

To me that shows how much momentum must be involved in a wolf turn for her to spin that much just trying to get control of her center of gravity after a mistake.

Was cool she stayed on though. Maybe she should practice that combo for real and get it named "the Chiles" ;).

To me that shows how much momentum must be involved in a wolf turn for her to spin that much just trying to get control of her center of gravity after a mistake.

Was cool she stayed on though. Maybe she should practice that combo for real and get it named "the Chiles" ;).
Well it's like a figure skater - as she pulls in she speeds up
57ecee3be699a2d88b080fa39ea06efa.gif

there's like a physics reason for this, but I'm not going to explain it ;)

she definitely should train it! get rid of the touch and make it a quad from sitting!

Like at :09

also, 1:41 is an example of a GOOD and BEAUTIFUL wolf turn

she definitely should train it! get rid of the touch and make it a quad from sitting!

her coach TAUGHT her that...Erica Bakas! Erica used to coach Tonya Harding. hahahahahahaha. just joking on the "taught her that"...but not the second. :)

Regardless of how it was scored (and that must have been a very interesting conversation among the D score judges!), it was a remarkably heads up cover for the botched turn. I really admire both her athleticism and her cool presence of mind.

Chris Brooks also tried to cover a brain fart on floor at P&Gs in 2015, but the judges threw him rotten apple cores instead of confetti. See at approximately :26 his famous attempt to introduce the Worm to a floor routine. Brooks being Brooks, he was able to laugh about it.

I'm a "retired" figure skater and I thought the same thing! Wolf turns are very much like a sir spin, although not nearly as graceful.

I honestly don't think she could re-create that if she tried :p
It was funny watching her react to her score (I think it was higher than she expected) if you listen closely you can hear her say "ok, what's going on!?!"

I honestly don't think she could re-create that if she tried :p
It was funny watching her react to her score (I think it was higher than she expected) if you listen closely you can hear her say "ok, what's going on!?!"
It was really not executed well, although I give her props for staying on. In JO she would have not scored as well.

Regardless of how it was scored (and that must have been a very interesting conversation among the D score judges!), it was a remarkably heads up cover for the botched turn. I really admire both her athleticism and her cool presence of mind.

Chris Brooks also tried to cover a brain fart on floor at P&Gs in 2015, but the judges threw him rotten apple cores instead of confetti. See at approximately :26 his famous attempt to introduce the Worm to a floor routine. Brooks being Brooks, he was able to laugh about it.

I was watching the universade, and Ana Filipa Martins from Portugal actually has a worm in her floor routine!

It's near the start

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back