WAG What level scores the easiest/highest?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

reluctant

Proud Parent
Is there a level that has the reputation of scoring the easiest/highest? In looking at scores from the weekend from a huge meet, level 6 scores look way higher overall than 5 or 7.

From easiest to hardest to get a high score. My opinion only, based on my experiences:

Xcel bronze through gold in order

IGC copper then bronze

L2-4 in order

L6/IGC silver/Xcel platinum

L7/diamond

L5

Last edited:
I think level 6 scores typically seem high, but I think that's probably partly because 5 scoring is tough and partly because level 6 has more flexibility in terms of routine composition and meeting requirements while requiring less difficulty than the higher optional levels. The actual requirements are essentially those of level 5, but girls can avoid the skills that gave them trouble in the compulsory levels (to some extent). Though they are also introduced to the stricter cast/angle requirements on bars.
I was a looking at meet scores this weekend and there were a few girls who were decent 5s last season (scoring in the 35 range) who are now early in their 6 season and scoring 37s. Obviously this could also be a case of them moving into a different training group with better coaches, training more hours, a new conditioning program, or any number of other variables.

The meet we were at this weekend the highest L5 score was 37.7 and the highest L6 and L7 both scored 38.1. Not too much wiggle room there.

Bars highs in those levels? 9.6, 9.5, 9.6 in that order. Also pretty similar.

I didn’t account for age groups.

My dd's highest scoring year was level 5, but that was also her only season with no injuries of any kind. She found level 6 harder than level 5 (her gym did them back-to-back immediately following each other). The skills were the same (floor and vault) and harder (bars and beam), but the judging was tougher at 6 because of the cast requirement on bars and the increased angle requirement on beam.

My dd's highest scoring year was level 5, but that was also her only season with no injuries of any kind. She found level 6 harder than level 5 (her gym did them back-to-back immediately following each other). The skills were the same (floor and vault) and harder (bars and beam), but the judging was tougher at 6 because of the cast requirement on bars and the increased angle requirement on beam.

Same with my daughter. She struggled with 4 because of the kip, getting 34/35 and got stronger on bars during spring/summer before level 5 and ended up getting 37s as a level 5. In 6 she struggled again mainly because of cast angles on bars.

Q: What level scores the highest?
A: Whatever level you aren't in!
Lol
(This was my dd's answer, so don't flame me, haha)
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Really is there an easy level. Only in hindsight.

My observation is that there are far more scores below 36 in levels 8, 9, and 10 than the levels below that. Lots of 33s-35s. I believe this is simply because there are so many really difficult skills, it is pretty hard to hit every routine with no mistakes. Plenty of 34s and 35s win AA in these levels at invitationals we have been to - now that might be region based.

So, I would say level 4 is the highest scoring. :)

Early compulsories and early optionals. There are less skills in both to take deductions. L6 and L7 compared to L8-10 do not have composition deductions, only execution deductions.

From easiest to hardest to get a high score. My opinion only, based on my experiences:

Xcel bronze through gold in order

IGC copper then bronze

L2-4 in order

L6/IGC silver/Xcel platinum

L7/diamond

L5

oh no - so L5 is the hardest, you think? I should start prepping my kid now then!

oh no - so L5 is the hardest, you think? I should start prepping my kid now then!
In *our* experience it has the lowest scores. Honestly, if the kids are prepared then any level should be equally easy/hard. I’ve seen really high scores and really low scores in them all. I’m sure your DD will be fine.

You’ll notice I didn’t go above L7- our experience is so limited there (just a few friends and then lots of teammates that we didn’t particularly follow).

Early compulsories and early optionals. There are less skills in both to take deductions. L6 and L7 compared to L8-10 do not have composition deductions, only execution deductions.
Level 8 does not have compositional deductions.

The easiest scoring--if you can call it that, and it is subjective--is Xcel bronze, silver, and gold. At meets with Xcel and JO levels, the highest scores are always Xcel. That's because there are less deductions that are even allowed to be taken, and the requirements are pretty easy to perform.

Level 8 does not have compositional deductions.

The easiest scoring--if you can call it that, and it is subjective--is Xcel bronze, silver, and gold. At meets with Xcel and JO levels, the highest scores are always Xcel. That's because there are less deductions that are even allowed to be taken, and the requirements are pretty easy to perform.

Agreed about Xcel.
L8 does have composition deductions, although not as many as L9 and L10.
What L8 does not have is the bonus skills/combos needed to start from a 10.

Interesting. I went and looked up our mixed meets. Level 3 ALWAYS had the highest scores. At HNI, for the venue that had 7-10 and XG and XP, the 7s and 8s held all the highest scores. This could be because by XP, most of the higher achieving girls have gone over to optionals, but at gold there are still a lot of very talented girls around. Most of our meets I looked at, all the levels were pretty mixed up, with scores evenly distributed. Some did have XB and XS bunched up near the top, but XG is know to be much harder scoring here.

A lot of it is going to come down to where the kid is at, when they hit that level. Often younger ones, 8, 9,10 years old are learning so many new skills. At some point they hit fears, or self doubt, or injuries, or some issue which are due to age or coincidence not level and that becomes the hardest for them

For my daughter it was equally old Level 6 and old Level 7 (Level 7 was the first optional level at the time; so Level 5 and Level 6 currently, I think). She did both levels in one season and has scored the highest (almost identically) on both levels. I think levels with no significant gateway skills tend to score the highest. It has been so many years since, so I am not sure what skills are required in each level now. But I think levels that require going over the vault, flipping over the vault, kips, giants, flight series on beam, going into that level may drive scores down initially.

I feel like scores are through the roof in level 6. If you don't get in the 38's you aren't even on the podium. They go down a bit, in 7, a bit more in 8, then in 9/10 - yikes. It's hard scoring no way around it!

I feel like scores are through the roof in level 6. If you don't get in the 38's you aren't even on the podium. They go down a bit, in 7, a bit more in 8, then in 9/10 - yikes. It's hard scoring no way around it!
It must be regional. There were 38s in almost every level across the board at our last meet. Some more then others but a couple per level, at least.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back