What Meet Format is THIS?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Entry Forms
$200 deposit and leotard sizes due by August 1, 2008.
Deadline: Full payment due by August 29, 2008.
No refunds after September 5, 2008.

Is it really $200? And why do they need leo sizing. I now see why so much profit is made in the US!!!:eek::eek:

Is it really $200? And why do they need leo sizing. I now see why so much profit is made in the US!!!:eek::eek:
The deposit of $200 is for when the coaches send in their initial gymnast rosters & register their team for the meet. The rest of the fees are due later. Yes, it costs that much, usually $65 to $75 per gymnast. Then there's 'team fees', if you have enough gymnasts competing from your team, and you want to be in the running for a team trophy. I guess THAT fee covers the team trophies/banners that the winning teams get to take home.

And of course this does not include when we family members actually arrive to the meet and have to fork out another $10-$30 just to get in.

They ask for the leo sizes for that particular meet b/c they give out a Hawaiian print leotard for the gymnast gifts. They don't actaully care what size everyone is! Ha-ha! Now THAT would be scary!!

That is one great benefit of DD participating in the AAU system...meet fees are so much less (about $15-20 per meet). USAG fees are really astronomical!:(

I think you guys may be talking about Traditional or Modified Traditional.

Some of the confusion might be because I've seen a lot of these meets labelled as "modified capital cup" (warm up compete as a flight). And I guess we don't have a compulsory season here, so to me the idea of just a compulsory meet, is kind of strange. We do have them (sectionals of course too) but usually towards the end of the year in between the optional states/regionals and compulsory states. But there's no fall season of just compulsory meets, so it's just another session of a (usually) 4-10 meet.

The biggest obstacle towards true capital cup in a meet held in a gym is probably floor of course. You end up with the weird 30 seconds in between each routine. I hate that. I swear no one ever knows how much time is left or really what is even going on, who's up, who still needs to warm up, who just went, who has been there for how long, who is still on bars, someone has to go to the bathroom...But maybe we're just lazy here. Also for optionals at the beginning of the year when you need to pull the mats and you know everyone needs a different mat in the exact place they need it. :lookaround: I'm kind of stressed just thinking about it.

But I guess compulsories still usually do a full flight warm up because the compulsory judging goes faster.

Meet Formats

B. TYPES OF COMPETITION FORMATS​
The only acceptable meet formats are listed is this publsication. Any ideas for new formata should be
submitted to the National JO Committee Chairman (Tom Koll) for consideration and/or approval and
possible inclusion in future Rules & Policies.​
1. TRADITIONAL FORMATS:​
a. Meets in which the open stretch, timed warm-ups and competition are conducted in one gym, with the
timed warm-ups on all four events first, then competition on all four events (30-second touch warmups
are required under certain conditions- see Competition Warm-up Procedures).
b. Meets in which the open stretch and timed warm-ups on all four events are conducted in a warm-up
gym, then the gymnasts move to a competition gym in order to compete on all four events. (30-
second touch warm-ups are always required when the timed warm-ups are conducted on apparatus
other than the competition apparatus.)
• The apparatus must be identical to the competitive gym, with the exception of the Floor
Exercise. If a spring tumbling strip is used instead of a full Floor Exercise area, it must be a
minimum of 60' long and 8' wide.
c. When using either of the above formats, if squads consist of 13 or more Compulsory gymnasts or 9 or
more Optional gymnasts, the squad must be divided into two sub-groups for the competition warmups
(30-second touch.) The first half takes their 30-second touch warm-ups, and then competes; then
the second half takes their 30-second touch warm-ups and competes. Touch warm-ups on Beam and
Floor may be staggered.​
2. MODIFIED TRADITIONAL FORMAT​
(warm-up; compete):
Meets in which the open stretch, timed warm-ups and competition are conducted in one gym in which
there is only one set of apparatus. The timed warm-ups immediately precede competition on each event
(this format eliminates the requirement of a 30-second touch warm-up).
• If squads consist of
13 or more Compulsory gymnasts or 9 or more Optional gymnasts, the squad
must be divided into two sub-groups. The first half takes their timed warm-ups, and then competes;
then the second half takes their timed warm-ups and competes.

3. NON-TRADITIONAL FORMATS:​
a. Meets that have two sets of apparatus (one for competition and a duplicate set for warm-ups) either in
the same or in separate gyms and that alternate the warm-ups and competition, one event at a time.
(Capitol Cup type format)
1) Timed warm-ups on the first event for the first four squads (Flight 1) are conducted on the warmup
apparatus, then Flight 1 goes to the competitive equipment to compete on their first event
while the next four squads (Flight 2) warm-up their first event. The two flights continue to
alternate between warm-ups and competition until all eight squads have completed all four
events.
2) 30-second touch warm-ups are required since timed warm-ups are not conducted on the
competition apparatus.
b. Meets which have two sets of apparatus in one gym and in which the first four squads (Flight 1) have
timed warm-ups and competition on one set of apparatus, while the second four squads (Flight 2)
have timed warm-ups and competition on the other set of apparatus. (Modified Capitol Cup)
1) As soon as the squads in Flight 1 finish timed warm-ups on their first event and begin
competition, the four squads in Flight 2 begin their timed warm-ups on their first event. Once
Flight 1 completes competition on the first event, the judges move to the other set of apparatus
to judge Flight 2. The two flights continue to alternate between warm-up and competition until all
eight squads have completed all four events.​
2) Since the timed warm-ups are conducted on the competition apparatus immediately preceding
the competition on the event, 30-second touch warm-ups are not required.
c. For both of these non-traditional formats, there should be eight squads with a maximum of 8 optional
or 12 compulsory gymnasts per squad. It is also recommended that there be no less than five per
squad.
• If the number of athletes in any one session is less than 40, the athletes may be divided into six
or seven squads, leaving one or two events (either warm-up gym or competition gym) per
rotation empty.
d. If a separate gym is used as a warm-up gym, the apparatus must be identical to the competitive gym,
with the exception of the Floor Exercise. If a spring tumbling strip is used instead of a full Floor

Exercise area, it must be a minimum of 60' long and 8' wide.

No, I am not kidding you! Here it is, a Compulsory meet, this coming weekend, Capital Cup Format, in NorCal (and one that DD's gym attended last year).

Incidentally, this is being hosted by Airborne Gymnastics, which was mentioned in another forum, as being rated MSO's #1 gym, on their "Top Ten Gyms" list. Guess that's how they like to run it there....

I copied & pasted part of their 'meet information' web page below...

Meet Dates
September 27 and 28, 2008

Meet Host and Site
Airborne Gymnastics Training Center
2250 Martin Avenue
Santa Clara, CA 95050

Meet Directors
Leah Parker

Entry Forms
$200 deposit and leotard sizes due by August 1, 2008.
Deadline: Full payment due by August 29, 2008.
No refunds after September 5, 2008.

Meet Format
Capital Cup (warmup, compete)
All AAI Equipment
Two Panel Judging

That is a typo. I know, without a shadow of a doubt that this meet is Modified Traditional. Some people call Modified Traditional "Capitol Cup" without understanding the difference.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I've definitely judged compulsories that competed with modified capital cup, and I did compete capital cup for state when I was a L5 and 6 (although I guess this was bigger than a typical local meet). Around here, modified traditional is most common, and there aren't many meets that do traditional, except for some L3 and 4 sessions. I can't remember the last time that I judged 5s and 6s under traditional.

Last time i coached competitive in Western Canada before i left Canada.

Warmup...30 minute general warmup on floor only...timed event warmups followed.

Competition Format for V..UB..B

gymnasts 1 and 2 warmup...gymnast 1 competes...gymnast 3 warms up...gymnast 2 competes...gymnast 4 warms up...gymnast 3 competes and so on and so on...judges are required to come up with the score during the gymnasts warmup time and makes for a very very fast meet to everyones delight

Competition format for FLOOR...if large group 1/2 group warms up and then competes and then second half of group warms up and competes

Hmmm. Here, meet is usually this format:
General Warm-up

Everyone Warms Up Event
Everyone Competes Event

Switch

And then that ^^^ three more times, once for each event.

Awards

Personally, this is my favourite. I've done both capital cup & traditional (I hate traditional, and capital cup- meh.)

and now...the million dollar question. excepy i'll buy you a hamburger and a coke if/when we meet if you can answer.

what is the name of the coach responsible/inventor for capital cup and modified capital cup formats and what was the name of his gym?

nothing yet? okay...what was the name of the meet that started this whole format thing?:)

edited: no takers? okay, a clue. it began/occurred in an east coast state.

and now...the million dollar question. excepy i'll buy you a hamburger and a coke if/when we meet if you can answer.

what is the name of the coach responsible/inventor for capital cup and modified capital cup formats and what was the name of his gym?

nothing yet? okay...what was the name of the meet that started this whole format thing?:)

edited: no takers? okay, a clue. it began/occurred in an east coast state.

Here's my guess???....MarVaTeens Gymnastics » Capital Cup 2012

yes! and the owner of marvateens was Gary Anderson, a close friend and colleague. he's now coaching in florida. i owe you a burger and coke at the next meet were at!!:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back