MAG Where do you find pants for you sons

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Oldest doesn't wear PANTs just shorts unless he's wearing his tux pants for violin concerts....but DS the younger needs slim or adjustable waists - however my gymnasts (all three) have gymnast booties that fill in their pants even with small waists!

I agree that Gap Slim (+ the skinny fit ) jeans or slacks are the best fitting for my super skinny guy. They are the only ones I have found that fit both length and waist (that is with the adjustable waist)

For jeans we've had good luck with Gap or Gymboree slim fit, but my gymnast won't wear anything except his sweatpants or athletic pants. He is 49 inches and 47 lbs. Carters size 7 sweatpants have worked well for him, and Kohls sells a similar but less expensive option through their Jumping Beans line. I've also found some Nike athletic pants at Marshalls, and those fit him well, too.

If I didn't need to save them for my youngest, I'd offer to send you some of our unused slim fit jeans, as DS won't touch them. He even tried to go to church on Easter Sunday wearing his sweat pants. After much fuss, I managed to get him into some khakis, but he was out of them as soon as we got home.

I am glad DS hates jeans, because there is no way we'd ever be able to accommodate his string bean needs cheaply. He wears a lot of drawstring athletic PANTS (take that, you giggling Brits) that are either too short or too baggy. And now he's even getting to the point of being too long and lean for regular ole GK pommel pants -- his leg length is AXS, but the waist material is huge. 10.0 makes a long length that fits well, but he can't compete in them because the team is in special order GKs. So compete this weekend he will in pommel pants with a crotch about 2-3" below his actual crotch. UGH!

Between this issue and the gymnast shoulder issue and the long arms issue, I think I had better start saving now for all the tailoring that will be necessary for his bar mitzvah suit. We were barely able to get away with off the rack for his sister's bat mitzvah because the jacket, while a little tight through the shoulders, hid a multitude of clothiering woes.

DS has issues with the GK pommel pants as well. He wore his child smalls again this year, because anything else would fall down. The length was getting to be a problem, though, and the crotch was way down on his thighs.

For everyday pants (trousers!) my son likes the slim fit khakis from Old Navy. And we just cinch in that adjustable waistband like crazy. Not perfect, but good enough.

I guess I didn't even realize that he has Under Armor pommels - they have a drawstring. With the GK pommels, can you cut a slit in the inside of the waistband, and then resew the elastic?

We have our biggest problem with swim trunks. My 9 year old has to wear 5/6, if he is lucky and they are cut right. He wore a 5/6 to a party and he was jumping on the trampoline. His swim trunks came right off of him. He was mortified!

Oh no! Mine still wears 3t swim trunks that he has had since he was a toddler and he's 8. I think this summer we are finally going to retire them for a size 5, but I sure got my money's worth.

Just think yourself lucky you don't have to buy school uniform - regulation clothes come in regulation sizes - I am forever altering !

My guy's legs are too long for 3t. For a little guy, he sure has long legs.
Hand sewing the back of swim trunks might be in our future. ;)

I guess I didn't even realize that he has Under Armor pommels - they have a drawstring. With the GK pommels, can you cut a slit in the inside of the waistband, and then resew the elastic?

I thought Under Armor makes GK now? All of our pommel pants have drawstrings that can cinch super tight. One of my son's team mates borrowed a pair of my son's pommel pants. I guess the drawstring was tied so tight that the knot was impossible to get out. He couldn't squeeze into them and they were shocked at how thin my DS is compared to the team mate.

Reactions: sce
I thought Under Armor makes GK now? All of our pommel pants have drawstrings that can cinch super tight. One of my son's team mates borrowed a pair of my son's pommel pants. I guess the drawstring was tied so tight that the knot was impossible to get out. He couldn't squeeze into them and they were shocked at how thin my DS is compared to the team mate.
UnderAmrour partners with GK. There are GK styles and UnderArmour styles. They are designed differently.

Oh don't even get me started on the swim trucks. I think my boys wore the same ones for like 3 years. We had to buy all new ones this year and the drawstring is so tight it looks like a carrot is growing from his belly button.

When D was 10, we were at a travel meet and the boys were all swimming. I called him over and checked and he was wearing 4T swimming trunks. I told him then that anything wtih a T in the size needed to leave his drawer.....and we got rid of 3 paris of swim trunks and countless shorts...

When D was 10, we were at a travel meet and the boys were all swimming. I called him over and checked and he was wearing 4T swimming trunks. I told him then that anything wtih a T in the size needed to leave his drawer.....and we got rid of 3 paris of swim trunks and countless shorts...
Too funny. I think My ds was 10 when we did the same thing. No more T clothes when you are in double digits!

I was wrong. My 9 yr old wears 4/5t swim trunks. I took him to the Gap and had him try on a bunch, because he does not want them falling off of him again. They are just above the knee too, but I think they make swim trunks really long for some reason.

Just checked ours - J is 10.5 and still wearing his size 5 swim trunks from several years ago - mostly bc I refuse to buy another pair that small & anything else he gets falls off!

This thread is too funny. All of our boys wear clothes in sizes far below their age. FYI - my guy got the closest to wearing clothes the same size as his age only after hitting puberty. Even then his waist is way small.
I wonder if part of the issue is that the average US kid is not very fit and thus their waists are larger. Sad if this is true.

I know that dressmaking patterns here in the UK are still based on the 1950's measurements, however RTW has updated all its sizes to reflect the growing size of the population, so a size 14 RTW may well be a size 18 pattern

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back