Anon Parent seeking support for a challenging situation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom333

Proud Parent
My daughter did Preteam, L2, L3, finished L4 (USAG) strong, and was just in L5. Unfortunately, her coach resigned due to a family emergency (she's moving out of the state) after the new group started. The owner has decided to divide the new L5 into either L6 or L4, resulting in my daughter and another child moving to L6. The other child transitioning to L6 alongside my daughter has spent two years in L4 and has undergone additional private training in preparation for the Level 5/6 season. The L6 coach is relatively new to coaching and we have not seen good outcomes yet. The nearest alternative gym with a reputable program is located a 50-minute drive away. Given my son's schedule in another competitive sport near our current gym and my office location, switching to another gym is not feasible at this point. A nearby Xcel-only gym is about 40 minutes away.

While I understand that skipping from L4-6/5-7 is common, L5 was the best fit for her. I am worried about her forthcoming season, fearing she may end up feeling demotivated and losing her passion for the sport. She doesn't do well with pressure and anxiety. Requesting her to step down to L4 solely due to the unavailability of L5 seems a disservice, considering her mastery of all requisite skills for that level.

Although I am attempting to view this as a valuable life lesson about accepting non-ideal circumstances and persevering nonetheless, I am seeking strategies to assist her through the coming season(s). She will likely need to reassess her goals, placing greater emphasis on individual skill advancement rather than the pursuit of podium placement or medals, which is hard - she is still 10. I would greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations you may have to guide her through this situation.

Does your gym offer xcel? If so I'd see if she could do platinum for a year and then reevaluate what she wants (assuming the gym would let her move back to 6 if she wants to and if she's ready). You said "She doesn't do well with pressure and anxiety." I've seen Xcel be great fit for girls who are similar. More flexibility really helps with the pressure. Several girls who were ready to quit DP gymnastics at our gym have tried out xcel and ended up reigniting their love of the sport. You could also check out the xcel only gym or the gym 50 minutes away and see if there is anyone from your area that trains there. Carpooling or even paying another team parent to drive your daughter might make it doable.

I'd just have her move to L6 and call it a day. L5 and L6 are similar and it's sooo common to skip one of them. If you are worried about the other girl doing better than her because she seems to have had more preparation, well, my response to that is that's just life. And really you don't know how all that extra prep will translate to the competition floor either. You can always re-evaluate whether a gym change is necessary next year if you find that the inexperienced coaching is truly a problem.

DP6 is just a better level and so similar to DP5, she will get a custom routine, pick skills that she is good at, and overall it's just more rewarding for the gymnast. Very common for gyms to test out of five and do 6 with all the gymnasts.

I wouldn’t worry, level 5/6 are literally almost the same skills, with some arguing that 6 is even easier since you have options. Scoring is usually higher too. She will be fine. Don’t worry about the other girl.

I agree with previous posters. It is natural as parent to feel some of that anxiety with her moving to 6 but it really is a trivial move and you might be surprised at how well she does. I would view it as an opportunity. I would also view it in the long term lens. Moving to 6 now positions her better down the road for other opportunities like doing college gymnastics.

My daughter did Preteam, L2, L3, finished L4 (USAG) strong, and was just in L5. Unfortunately, her coach resigned due to a family emergency (she's moving out of the state) after the new group started. The owner has decided to divide the new L5 into either L6 or L4, resulting in my daughter and another child moving to L6. The other child transitioning to L6 alongside my daughter has spent two years in L4 and has undergone additional private training in preparation for the Level 5/6 season. The L6 coach is relatively new to coaching and we have not seen good outcomes yet. The nearest alternative gym with a reputable program is located a 50-minute drive away. Given my son's schedule in another competitive sport near our current gym and my office location, switching to another gym is not feasible at this point. A nearby Xcel-only gym is about 40 minutes away.

While I understand that skipping from L4-6/5-7 is common, L5 was the best fit for her. I am worried about her forthcoming season, fearing she may end up feeling demotivated and losing her passion for the sport. She doesn't do well with pressure and anxiety. Requesting her to step down to L4 solely due to the unavailability of L5 seems a disservice, considering her mastery of all requisite skills for that level.

Although I am attempting to view this as a valuable life lesson about accepting non-ideal circumstances and persevering nonetheless, I am seeking strategies to assist her through the coming season(s). She will likely need to reassess her goals, placing greater emphasis on individual skill advancement rather than the pursuit of podium placement or medals, which is hard - she is still 10. I would greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations you may have to guide her through this situation.

Personally, as a coach I ALWAYS encourage skill based goals, or goals that are objective. I never encourage my girls to set goals for certain scores, medals, etc bc these are all based on a judge’s OPINION. Judging is subjective and we never want our girls to tie their self worth to someone else’s opinion.

That said, what makes you think she won’t do well in 6? I typically find 6 can be easier for some girls solely bc it is optional and we can tailor their routines to what works for THEM. have you asked your daughter how she feels? I would start there and follow her lead.

Good luck!! Can’t wait to hear how she does!!

I agree with the others, levels 5 & 6 are almost the same. Personally I think level 5 is important because it makes the gymnast do the tougher details that create a good foundation for higher levels and bigger skills. In my opinion, level 6 is so similar to level 5 except the routines can be changed to cater to the gymnasts strengths, allowing them to bypass the struggles of learning the tough details.
All that said, I do think if you had the choice, I’d choose level 5 but if you don’t have a choice than level 6 will be fine.

I agree with the others, levels 5 & 6 are almost the same. Personally I think level 5 is important because it makes the gymnast do the tougher details that create a good foundation for higher levels and bigger skills. In my opinion, level 6 is so similar to level 5 except the routines can be changed to cater to the gymnasts strengths, allowing them to bypass the struggles of learning the tough details.
All that said, I do think if you had the choice, I’d choose level 5 but if you don’t have a choice than level 6 will be fine.
This guy s true. But they can also train and compete almost the exact same routines. So they can work those compulsory skills and foundations in 6 also. Which I would also recommend. The skipping of levels we see often when there are not enough kids to compete that level. But you can def talk to the coaches and explain that you really want her to still work those compulsory skills and foundations if she bumps up to 6. But she will still have to score out of 5 either way.

Not anymore, they changed the rules where you can now advance from 4 directly to 6 (after scoring a 36 twice).
This is still scoring out. You just score out w two 36 in 4 instead of one 32 in 5. But technically this is still considered scoring out.

Nope, It’s not scoring out if a girl competes a full season of level 4. “Scoring out” is when someone just competes one meet to get the required advancement score to skip a level. It’s no longer skipping, you can move from 4 to 6 just like you can move from 5 to 7. You don’t say a girl “scored out” when they compete a season of 5 and then go to level 7.

I would seriously cross this off your list of things to worry about. As others have said, level 5 and level 6 are essentially the same, and level 6 can be way more fun and confidence boosting due to the "options". IMO bars is the biggest skill jump but the other events should be an easy transition from 4. Thousands of girls skip 5 every year and move on successfully.

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback and advice. After reading your responses, I've come to realize that I don't really understand how these youth sports programs work at all in the first place. I attempted to look up the skills between 4&5, and 5&6 online, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it, which probably contributed to my worry as a parent. When I compared my daughter to the previous L6 girls, I felt there was a significant gap even though our gym's optional program is not that strong, and it left me feeling unsettled due to my lack of understanding. My daughter is also worried, but if the coaches and parents guide her to set the goals correctly she'll probably be fine. It sounds like skipping a level might be alright, so I plan to simply continue supporting the coaches and my daughter without interfering much.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News