WAG Wisdom Teeth and Practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Okay, I had my wisdom tooth out on friday and my mouth is still very sore, I have taken every training since then off, and now want to go to training. My question is, will training potentially do more harm - I have heard exercise can make the wound bleed again. Basically, do any of you have experience with wisdom teeth and is it okay to practise - I have a comp next weekend so I am worried.

There was a big discussion on the parenting forum about getting your tonsils out and practicing. I imagine it would be similar. The consensus for that was 2 weeks off. Going upside down puts enormous pressure on your body and if you have had surgery I think it could cause major bleeding. Of course you should check with your doctor though, as they will know best. I hope you heal quickly!

I really think that wisdom teeth are something that is different for each person. Do you have stitches? If so I imagine you should stay out of normal practice (maybe just do some conditioning?) until the stitches are out/disolved.

I had all of my wisdom teeth taken out at one time when I was 17. They were all impacted and technically I should have had a worse recovery than my brother who some of them had come in so only had to be pulled; but he seemed to have a much worse recovery than I did. So like I said, it can be a different recovery for each person.

Personally, I would wait at least a week. I think I waited a week and a half and still every time I went upside-down I could feel my jawline throbbing (which, while it was a very cool sensation, was probably not a good thing). Half of my stitches came out that practice too. Maybe you will heal faster than I did, but I would err on the side of caution on this one. I hope you recover quickly, and good luck at your competition :)

Ditto on ask your surgeon. You might be able to go in and do some stretching and conditioning, but I'm going to guess that the pressure of being upside down is bad for big holes in your mouth.

5 days off for wisdom teeth. dry socket and bleeding can be a problem if you go back sooner.

Every extraction is different. Some are easy and leave little wound to heal. Some are harder and require more significant stitching and healing. Your oral surgeon would know far more about it than the rest of us. It's possible that you're fine to practice now, but there's really only one person that knows that.

As others have pointed out, being upside down and rotating/flipping at high speeds will send more blood to your head, which will put more pressure on the healing wound. Make sure you tell the oral surgeon you'd be doing gymnastics, not generically exercising (running/biking are much less of a potential issue).

I recently had my wisdom teeth out and had to take 2 1/2 weeks off however I was much more bruised, swollen & bloody than the norm.

I did try to do a handstand the first week & my mouth bled tremendously. I would certainly advise waiting a little longer!!

A bit off topic, but I had them out in April, went to an amusement park two weeks ago, went on a ride called the Gravitron and the holes where my wisdoms were THROBBED.

I had my wisdom teeth out on a Friday and my surgeon told me I was allowed to go to practice on Monday. I felt fine but when I started doing my backtucks on beam, the landing was really hard and hurt my teeth. So I just did everything else besides that. But go by what your surgeon says because everyone is different.

I went to gym the day after I got my wisdom teeth out (all 4) and nothing bad happened. I just didn't do jumps or back tucks and stuff because that hurt my mouth when I landed.

Well I went and thought I would take it easy, I did some strength and handstands. spent the net half hour icing my mouth and nothing so I left and don't plan on training for a while - which is a shame because I have comp next weekend.

Going to dentist tomorrow as I think I might have dry socket.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back